Sony digital 8 IEEE1394 and DVD format input

webrider

Sony digital 8 IEEE1394 and DVD format input
Hi we have plenty of video that needs to be edited and processed on engine
engineering,
it needs to be streamed online eventually.
Frequently we get tapes in Digital-8 (sony), Mini DV. DVD discs, CD's, DivX
and even in VHS.
I need to import/export good quality video in most typical formats, and
stream in typical files like: AVI,WMM,WMP,mov, rm, swf, mpeg 1,2 etc. etc.

I run VISTA business OS on a DELL Dimension Core 2 duo.

I have a Sony DCR-TRV120 digital 8 use i.Link (also known as FireWire or
IEEE 1394).
and 1394 PCI card connection.

What is the best DVD format to burn video in so my vista movie maker will
work?

I should have no problem right ?
--
"Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working
together is success."

Henry Ford
Graham Hughes

Re: Sony digital 8 IEEE1394 and DVD format input
Movie maker works best with dv.avi or wmv video files, so dvd format is not
best.

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"webrider" <webrider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi we have plenty of video that needs to be edited and processed on engine
> engineering,
> it needs to be streamed online eventually.
> Frequently we get tapes in Digital-8 (sony), Mini DV. DVD discs, CD's,
> DivX
> and even in VHS.
> I need to import/export good quality video in most typical formats, and
> stream in typical files like: AVI,WMM,WMP,mov, rm, swf, mpeg 1,2 etc. etc.
>
> I run VISTA business OS on a DELL Dimension Core 2 duo.
>
> I have a Sony DCR-TRV120 digital 8 use i.Link (also known as FireWire or
> IEEE 1394).
> and 1394 PCI card connection.
>
> What is the best DVD format to burn video in so my vista movie maker will
> work?
>
> I should have no problem right ?
> --
> "Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working
> together is success."
>
> Henry Ford

Adam Albright

Re: Sony digital 8 IEEE1394 and DVD format input
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:10:03 -0700, webrider
<webrider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi we have plenty of video that needs to be edited and processed on engine
>engineering,
>it needs to be streamed online eventually.
>Frequently we get tapes in Digital-8 (sony), Mini DV. DVD discs, CD's, DivX
>and even in VHS.
>I need to import/export good quality video in most typical formats, and
>stream in typical files like: AVI,WMM,WMP,mov, rm, swf, mpeg 1,2 etc. etc.
>
>I run VISTA business OS on a DELL Dimension Core 2 duo.
>
>I have a Sony DCR-TRV120 digital 8 use i.Link (also known as FireWire or
>IEEE 1394).
>and 1394 PCI card connection.

Since you said 'we' I'll assume you're talking from a corporate
prospective. If true, and you have the business version of Vista,
sorry it doesn't support the creation of DVD anything. I know, I have
the business version too. I suggest you look into Sony's Vegas. I've
used it for years. Even the lessor versions that only cost about $80
or so are way superior to what's included with Vista.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/

>What is the best DVD format to burn video in so my vista movie maker will
>work?

It's the other way around. If you had either the Home Premium or
Ultimate versions of Vista is can take the project file from Movie
Maker and attempt to make a DVD from that in DVD Maker. If you skim
the posts here, you'll see the numerous problems reported so in my
opinion not worth the effort trying especially if what you're doing is
going to be for business. Way too much frustration using Microsoft
included applications, which sadly are mostly toys when it comes to
video editing.

>I should have no problem right ?

See above. You can download a sample of any version of Vegas and play
with it. The only restriction due to license issues is you won't get
the critical MPEG-2 encoder. Other then that, a full working version
so you can play around in AVI WMV, other popular formats to see what
you can do.

Since you sound new to this area be aware creating/editing the video
stops short of DVD Authoring. That term refers to creating chapters,
other features like in commercial DVD's. Yes Vegas supports that. Just
saying it is a multi step process to go from start to finish.

webrider

Re: Sony digital 8 IEEE1394 and DVD format input
>Since you sound new to this area be aware creating/editing the video
> stops short of DVD Authoring. That term refers to creating chapters,
> other features like in commercial DVD's. Yes Vegas supports that. Just
> saying it is a multi step process to go from start to finish.

Can you explain this, '...Vegas stops short of DVD authoring."

Since I don't have a DV camcorder yet to import video into my computer I
would advise the customer to mail video in a DVD. I would edit and create
video in a streaming file format.
Is this simple process difficult in Vegas and which common format (AVI, WMP,
DIVX) would I advise he burn the DVD in?

Thanks for the information I'm sort of sold on Vegas. It even claims at
restoration of old video.
Is this true? How does Vegas compare with Adobe Elements and ULEAD video
studio?
--

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:10:03 -0700, webrider
> <webrider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi we have plenty of video that needs to be edited and processed on engine
> >engineering,
> >it needs to be streamed online eventually.
> >Frequently we get tapes in Digital-8 (sony), Mini DV. DVD discs, CD's, DivX
> >and even in VHS.
> >I need to import/export good quality video in most typical formats, and
> >stream in typical files like: AVI,WMM,WMP,mov, rm, swf, mpeg 1,2 etc. etc.
> >
> >I run VISTA business OS on a DELL Dimension Core 2 duo.
> >
> >I have a Sony DCR-TRV120 digital 8 use i.Link (also known as FireWire or
> >IEEE 1394).
> >and 1394 PCI card connection.

> Since you said 'we' I'll assume you're talking from a corporate
> prospective. If true, and you have the business version of Vista,
> sorry it doesn't support the creation of DVD anything. I know, I have
> the business version too. I suggest you look into Sony's Vegas. I've
> used it for years. Even the lessor versions that only cost about $80
> or so are way superior to what's included with Vista.
>
> http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/
>
> >What is the best DVD format to burn video in so my vista movie maker will
> >work?

> It's the other way around. If you had either the Home Premium or
> Ultimate versions of Vista is can take the project file from Movie
> Maker and attempt to make a DVD from that in DVD Maker. If you skim
> the posts here, you'll see the numerous problems reported so in my
> opinion not worth the effort trying especially if what you're doing is
> going to be for business. Way too much frustration using Microsoft
> included applications, which sadly are mostly toys when it comes to
> video editing.
> >
> >I should have no problem right ?

> See above. You can download a sample of any version of Vegas and play
> with it. The only restriction due to license issues is you won't get
> the critical MPEG-2 encoder. Other then that, a full working version
> so you can play around in AVI WMV, other popular formats to see what
> you can do.
>
> Since you sound new to this area be aware creating/editing the video
> stops short of DVD Authoring. That term refers to creating chapters,
> other features like in commercial DVD's. Yes Vegas supports that. Just
> saying it is a multi step process to go from start to finish.

Graham Hughes

Re: Sony digital 8 IEEE1394 and DVD format input
You'd need the video in dv.avi format if that's what he is capturing as, for
best quality, ease of editing in any app and it'll take about 20 mins on one
dvd.

The way I read Adam's post is that video editing stops short of dvd
authoring, not that Vegas stops short. I don't use it, so Adam or Google
will probably tell us.

Restoration of old video is one hell of a project and you'll need to get
very in to your app to make any noticeable difference. I don't know if there
is a preset in vegas, but generally this is done by a combination of filters
and effects.

--

news6716440-018D-428C-896E-186165DBC7BE@microsoft.com...
> [...]

>> included applications, which sadly are mostly toys when it comes to
>> video editing.
>> >
>> >I should have no problem right ?

>> See above. You can download a sample of any version of Vegas and play
>> with it. The only restriction due to license issues is you won't get
>> the critical MPEG-2 encoder. Other then that, a full working version
>> so you can play around in AVI WMV, other popular formats to see what
>> you can do.
>>
>> Since you sound new to this area be aware creating/editing the video
>> stops short of DVD Authoring. That term refers to creating chapters,
>> other features like in commercial DVD's. Yes Vegas supports that. Just
>> saying it is a multi step process to go from start to finish.

webrider

Re: Sony digital 8 IEEE1394 and DVD format input
Wow...thanks Graham & Adam. Movie maker in Vista worked on my Sony digital8
like a charm. I had no problem editing a 3min clip.

Noticed you wrote the following general rule: 20min AVI=1DVD.
I would like to edit 1/2 hour movie=30min. so I would
not be able to fit in a typical DVD R+W?
Can I encode in MPEG2 would that be better?
What is the best compression and quality, I throught it was
DIV X fit a feature full length movie in a single CD?
I plan to purchase an internal hard drive just to process
video ATA 250 GIG would that process 1 hour of edited AVI?
--

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> [...]

> >> going to be for business. Way too much frustration using Microsoft
> >> included applications, which sadly are mostly toys when it comes to
> >> video editing.

> >> See above. You can download a sample of any version of Vegas and play
> >> with it. The only restriction due to license issues is you won't get
> >> the critical MPEG-2 encoder. Other then that, a full working version
> >> so you can play around in AVI WMV, other popular formats to see what
> >> you can do.
> >>
> >> Since you sound new to this area be aware creating/editing the video
> >> stops short of DVD Authoring. That term refers to creating chapters,
> >> other features like in commercial DVD's. Yes Vegas supports that. Just
> >> saying it is a multi step process to go from start to finish.

Adam Albright

Re: Sony digital 8 IEEE1394 and DVD format input
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:52:01 -0700, webrider
<webrider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Wow...thanks Graham & Adam. Movie maker in Vista worked on my Sony digital8
>like a charm. I had no problem editing a 3min clip.
>
>Noticed you wrote the following general rule: 20min AVI=1DVD.

>I would like to edit 1/2 hour movie=30min. so I would
>not be able to fit in a typical DVD R+W?

Just some clarification. There are scores of video editing
applications. Some obviously, like anything else are better than
others. Also people have favorites. No confusion what mine is.

Computer jargon, video editing jargon differs platform to platform and
application to application. In very broad terms video editing is what
the name suggests. You edit the source file trimming it, moving
sections around in some different arrangement, combine smaller clips
into one larger one, make adjustments like color correction, special
effects, all that fun stuff. The idea being at some point you have a
file that can be turned into a format suitable for placing on a DVD.

Note I said suitable for, not ready for. Once you have a compatible
file format anything beyond that is DVD Authoring. Basically this is
the bells and whistle phase. You may add a motion menu, sub menses,
make Chapters and so on. Some application do it in one package, other
are limited.

The question how much can you put on a single DVD comes up a lot. It
depends first on the type of media you're using. Single sided, double
sided or the newer Blue Ray discs. Skipping the last two to avoid
compounding things a single sided DVD should hold roughly an hour and
twenty minutes of video including anything you do in the way of bells
and whistles. The deciding factor is bitrate. The higher the bitrate
the better the quality but the more room the files take up on the DVD.

Many beginners make the mistake of more is better. So they encode at
the highest possible bitrate. This often can lead to some DVD players
being unable to play the disc or playing it poorly with skips,
stuttering and other bad things.

To avoid that it makes sense to encode files headed for a DVD at a
level slightly below the suggested maximum. Generally, 6,000,000 to 7,
500,000 bps (bits per second) is plenty. Most DVD player top out at
8,000,000. Without having DVD Maker I have no idea what it is capable
of. So I need to refer to Vegas. It can encode at a constant bitrate
or what's called a variable rate. Generally a variable rate is better
because on scenes that have a lot of action in them get the higher
bitrate, static scenes can get encoded much lower, like 200,000 bps.

Does DVD Maker allow this, I don't know, I've asked and never got an
answer. If not another severe limitation. Because if your encode your
entire file at a high bitrate when it isn't necessary all you are
doing is bloating the file size without gaining anything in quality.

So using Vegas, set to use a variable bitrate it can get the hour and
twenty minutes on average on a one single sided DVD.

Now the problems. Again, just responding based on what I've read here.
The typical way to make a DVD in Vista is create the project file in
Movie Maker then export to DVD Maker and it converts it to a DVD.

People have reported over and over length becomes an issue. If you
can't get at least an hour on a single sided DVD using DVD Maker then
something is seriously wrong with how it processes the file. If it is
a typical Microsoft application it gives little if any feedback. So it
may fail for many reasons but at best you're left to guess why. Sorry,
I couldn't work that way, it would drive me nuts. Others have reported
both Movie Maker and DVD Maker reject some files or the process gets
hung up at some point during the burn process. This could be due to
internal processing issues, eating up system resources, not having
enough memory, etc.. Again, I couldn't work that way.

>Can I encode in MPEG2 would that be better?

Of course, if you could. Since MPEG-2 in the standard source file type
for making DVDs. Everything I read in this newsgroup suggests you
can't make MPEG-2 using Movie Maker or DVD Maker. In other words at
some point whatever you do or use at some point it ends up making VOB
files which are just another variation of MPEG-2. If DVD Maker does
that, again not having it and just responding based on what I read
here the process is internal and you have little or not control over
the process. So in my opinion you're doomed before you start since you
trying to do something blind.

>What is the best compression and quality, I throught it was
>DIV X fit a feature full length movie in a single CD?

DivX is quite good so is Microsoft's WMV at higher bitrates. The flaw
is neither are supported DVD formats. So unless you have a DVD Player
that directly supports DivX or WMV they won't play. I have looked
recently so don't know if there are such creatures available in this
part of the world. People again get confused. You can "burn" a DivX or
WMV or any video format to a CD or DVD but all you're doing is copying
the files and a computer will read and play it, most DVD Players of
the free standing variety that connect to a TV will not.

Graham Hughes

Re: Sony digital 8 IEEE1394 and DVD format input
Adam has covered everything I believe, but you have taken my piece out of
context.

20 mins of "dv.avi" will fit on a data dvd.

This is nothing to do with dvd video, which as Adam says depending on mpeg
comrepssion you can fit a few hours of video onto 1 dvd if you wish to
suffer the quality loss. Best quality dvd mpeg video will result in between
1 hour and 1 1/2 hours depending on the quality of your encoder and the type
of audio you use.

--

> Wow...thanks Graham & Adam. Movie maker in Vista worked on my Sony
> digital8
> like a charm. I had no problem editing a 3min clip.
>
> Noticed you wrote the following general rule: 20min AVI=1DVD.
> I would like to edit 1/2 hour movie=30min. so I would
> not be able to fit in a typical DVD R+W?
> Can I encode in MPEG2 would that be better?
> What is the best compression and quality, I throught it was
> DIV X fit a feature full length movie in a single CD?
> I plan to purchase an internal hard drive just to process
> video ATA 250 GIG would that process 1 hour of edited AVI?
> --
> "Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working
> together is success."
>
> Henry Ford
>

> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
>> You'd need the video in dv.avi format if that's what he is capturing as,
>> for
>> best quality, ease of editing in any app and it'll take about 20 mins on
>> one
>> dvd.
>>
>> The way I read Adam's post is that video editing stops short of dvd
>> authoring, not that Vegas stops short. I don't use it, so Adam or Google
>> will probably tell us.
>>
>> Restoration of old video is one hell of a project and you'll need to get
>> very in to your app to make any noticeable difference. I don't know if
>> there
>> is a preset in vegas, but generally this is done by a combination of
>> filters
>> and effects.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Graham Hughes
>> MVP Digital Media
>> www.myvideoproblems.com
>>

>> "webrider" <webrider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news6716440-018D-428C-896E-186165DBC7BE@microsoft.com...
>> >
>> > Can you explain this, '...Vegas stops short of DVD authoring."
>> >
>> > Since I don't have a DV camcorder yet to import video into my computer
>> > would advise the customer to mail video in a DVD. I would edit and
>> > create
>> > video in a streaming file format.
>> > Is this simple process difficult in Vegas and which common format (AVI,
>> > WMP,
>> > DIVX) would I advise he burn the DVD in?
>> >
>> > Thanks for the information I'm sort of sold on Vegas. It even claims at
>> > restoration of old video.
>> > Is this true? How does Vegas compare with Adobe Elements and ULEAD
>> > video
>> > studio?
>> > --
>> > "Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working
>> > together is success."
>> >
>> > Henry Ford

Sony DCR-HC48E user

"webrider" wrote:

> Hi we have plenty of video that needs to be edited and processed on engine
> engineering,
> it needs to be streamed online eventually.
> Frequently we get tapes in Digital-8 (sony), Mini DV. DVD discs, CD's, DivX
> and even in VHS.
> I need to import/export good quality video in most typical formats, and
> stream in typical files like: AVI,WMM,WMP,mov, rm, swf, mpeg 1,2 etc. etc.
>
> I run VISTA business OS on a DELL Dimension Core 2 duo.
>
> I have a Sony DCR-TRV120 digital 8 use i.Link (also known as FireWire or
> IEEE 1394).
> and 1394 PCI card connection.
>
> What is the best DVD format to burn video in so my vista movie maker will
> work?
>
> I should have no problem right ?
> --
> "Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working
> together is success."
>
> Henry Ford

Muby

RE: Sony digital 8 IEEE1394 and DVD format input
Hi

I have a DCR TRV120e which ive been tryin to connect to my windows xp sp2
computer using firewire 4 pin(ilink camera) to 6 pin(computer) cable. Every
time i connect the camera, the "New Hardware Wizard" shows up, after
following the instructions its not able to find the driver for the camcorder.
And then i cant use the camera to transfer video.

Plzzzz can u help, im in desparate need, or if u kno of a better way to
transfer video from camcorder to computer plzzz let me kno.

I wud appreciate any help

Muby