Photo Gallery can't open my pictures

Michaella

Photo Gallery can't open my pictures
Everytime I try to view a picture, a message pops up in Photo Gallery:
Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video. This file format is not
supported, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Gallery.

This is a new laptop and Windows was preinstalled...I can't find any updates
and all of my pictures are in the JPEG format...how can I fix this
Adam Albright

Re: Photo Gallery can't open my pictures
On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 11:04:00 -0700, Michaella
<Michaella@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Everytime I try to view a picture, a message pops up in Photo Gallery:
>Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video. This file format is not
>supported, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Gallery.
>
>This is a new laptop and Windows was preinstalled...I can't find any updates
>and all of my pictures are in the JPEG format...how can I fix this

First thing I would check is go to Control Panel, Default Programs
then Associate file types or protocol with a program. Once the master
list is done building, can take 30 seconds or so, scroll down till you
see what JPG and/or JPEG are set to. By default they should be set to
Photo Galley. If not, AND you don't want them set to something else,
change it. The on screen prompts say how.

If you already have Photo Galley set as the default program for JPEG,
try renaming one file in Windows Explorer from JPEG or JPG whatever it
currently is, just flip it and see if it shows now.

Next try viewing in another application. Any graphic application
should open a JPG, even the included PAINT which has been part of
Windows for years.

If you can open and see the JPEG in Paint or something else, but still
can't in Photo Galley open Movie Maker, File, options, then click on
the restore button which should reset Movie Maker, DVD Maker and Photo
Galley.

Rob Lytle

RE: Photo Gallery can't open my pictures
Hi Michaella, see my post. Vista destroyed every one of my jpg files. I
hadn't looked at them in a long time but they all got currupted. We are
talking years worth of pictures. And when I did my regular backup, the
corrupted files went with it, so I got screwed again. Rob.

"Michaella" wrote:

> Everytime I try to view a picture, a message pops up in Photo Gallery:
> Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video. This file format is not
> supported, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Gallery.
>
> This is a new laptop and Windows was preinstalled...I can't find any updates
> and all of my pictures are in the JPEG format...how can I fix this

Mike

Re: Photo Gallery can't open my pictures
vista has destroyed loads of my jpegs as well

what camera did you use I have a canon, pics taken with a Fuji are fine

cheers

Mike
"Rob Lytle" <RobLytle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsD3F61CB-4DEE-4907-8D52-7D576C817F6E@microsoft.com...
> Hi Michaella, see my post. Vista destroyed every one of my jpg files. I
> hadn't looked at them in a long time but they all got currupted. We are
> talking years worth of pictures. And when I did my regular backup, the
> corrupted files went with it, so I got screwed again. Rob.
>
> "Michaella" wrote:
>
>> Everytime I try to view a picture, a message pops up in Photo Gallery:
>> Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video. This file format is not
>> supported, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Gallery.
>>
>> This is a new laptop and Windows was preinstalled...I can't find any
>> updates
>> and all of my pictures are in the JPEG format...how can I fix this

Will

Re: Photo Gallery can't open my pictures
I have a similar problem and with pictures taken on my canon as well.