movie maker for vista

rohfred

movie maker for vista
I am doing a video of my son's football games and I want to find away to
indentify/highlight him on the movie by putting a circle around his body or
making him stand out in some way. Is there a way to do this??
PapaJohn

Re: movie maker for vista
A free way it to get my custom overlay 'Starter Kit for Vista' from my
website's Edit Movies > XML - Persian Section > Script Types > Custom
Ovelays page... replace one of my 10 samples with your own, a PNG file
marked as you want it. The cost is a little learning about how to do it.

Another way would be to purchase a Pixelan SpiceFX package that spotlights
part of a clip... my Vista > Movie Maker > Effects page has a link to their
packages. It's Pack E3.

PapaJohn

"rohfred" <rohfred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am doing a video of my son's football games and I want to find away to
> indentify/highlight him on the movie by putting a circle around his body
> or
> making him stand out in some way. Is there a way to do this??

Adam Albright

Re: movie maker for vista
On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 18:50:00 -0700, rohfred
<rohfred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am doing a video of my son's football games and I want to find away to
>indentify/highlight him on the movie by putting a circle around his body or
>making him stand out in some way. Is there a way to do this??

Yes sure, but no way I can think of with movie maker. The effect is
sometimes called a cookie-cutter effect. Sony's Vegas has a filter
where you can do it easily. I don't know if it is included with the
lessor versions, it has been part of the full version from the
beginning. You could download a trial and see.

The method is actually fairly simple. You begin by duplicating your
source video and placing it on a second track and making sure it lines
up exactly with the original. Next you drag the cookie-cutter filter
to the top or overlay track or on the bottom depending on the effect
you're going for. It's called a cookie-cutter effect because you next
"cut out" or adjust the filter to either select or un-select a portion
of the video. In this case your son. Because you're working on a
overlay track only the selected or un selected area is effected. You
next apply another filter like levels where you either brighten the
selected area (your son) or darken everything else. The next part
while a little time consuming depending on how accurate you want to be
in your tracking involves key framing which Movie Maker doesn't
support.

Key framing involves selecting "key" frames ie where something has
changed from the past frames then marking that frame. For example in a
football game players are running down the field. So at frame 200 a
player may be at the 20 yard line and a few seconds later be near the
goal line at frame 280.

By setting key frames at frames 200 and 280 you set starting and
ending points to track some action. With a good video editor like
Vegas it will track the action and in effect fill in the blank motion
in the intermediate frames moving the filter that is highlighting the
player you selected moving the selected area up/down or right and left
as necessary as that one player runs around to keep up with the
movement and in effect spot-light what's happening. If you zoom in or
out this too can be controlled with key framing adjusting the size of
the filter to get smaller or larger as necessary on the fly.