Streaming Video Problem

Cyclonic

Streaming Video Problem
Like a number of similar postings I am unable to stream video from a web
site. I have attempted the various solutions offerred in these postings to no
avail. Media Player and Explorer are working fine in all other respects on my
Vista Ultimate software. Any new suggestions would be appreciated.
--
Cyclonic
Adam Albright

Re: Streaming Video Problem
On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 07:36:00 -0700, Cyclonic
<Cyclonic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Like a number of similar postings I am unable to stream video from a web
>site. I have attempted the various solutions offerred in these postings to no
>avail. Media Player and Explorer are working fine in all other respects on my
>Vista Ultimate software. Any new suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you tried other players to see if the problem goes away?

These three free Vista capable ones all work way better then Media
Player:

GOM Player, XnView and VLC Media Player.

One quick fix that often "fixes" Media Player, Movie Maker and Photo
Galley all with one button click is to open Movie Maker, Tools,
Options, then press restore defaults.

Cyclonic

Re: Streaming Video Problem
Unfortunately I would like to use Windows Media Player. I have tried going
back to the defaults on the media player. It did not work. The error message
I get is; Internet Explorer Cannot display the web page. The player works
fine on any file I have "saved as", just not streaming video.
--
Cyclonic

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 07:36:00 -0700, Cyclonic
> <Cyclonic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Like a number of similar postings I am unable to stream video from a web
> >site. I have attempted the various solutions offerred in these postings to no
> >avail. Media Player and Explorer are working fine in all other respects on my
> >Vista Ultimate software. Any new suggestions would be appreciated.

> Have you tried other players to see if the problem goes away?
>
> These three free Vista capable ones all work way better then Media
> Player:
>
> GOM Player, XnView and VLC Media Player.
>
> One quick fix that often "fixes" Media Player, Movie Maker and Photo
> Galley all with one button click is to open Movie Maker, Tools,
> Options, then press restore defaults.

Adam Albright

Re: Streaming Video Problem
On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:45:02 -0700, Cyclonic
<Cyclonic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Unfortunately I would like to use Windows Media Player. I have tried going
>back to the defaults on the media player. It did not work. The error message
>I get is; Internet Explorer Cannot display the web page. The player works
>fine on any file I have "saved as", just not streaming video.

What file type are your trying to steam? It could be something as
simple as not having any file association set up.

As a test visit the following site which is loaded with streaming
video, different web cam interviews from Microsoft product managers
and engineers.

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowForum.a...mID=14&TagID=9

Can you stream these in Media Player?

Cyclonic

Re: Streaming Video Problem
When I go to this web page and I click on a file, I am forwarded to a second
page;
-- http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=319241
I am then offerred choices for the file that would include; full screen,
download, WMA, etc. If I select "full screen", the browser opens in a new
wuindow and the streaming commences.
If I go to a different page with streaming video, for example;
http://www.schneeberg.org/uk/photo/films/index.html
and click on the .wmv file, a new window opens but I get the "Internet
cannot display the webpage message"

Cyclonic

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:45:02 -0700, Cyclonic
> <Cyclonic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Unfortunately I would like to use Windows Media Player. I have tried going
> >back to the defaults on the media player. It did not work. The error message
> >I get is; Internet Explorer Cannot display the web page. The player works
> >fine on any file I have "saved as", just not streaming video.

> What file type are your trying to steam? It could be something as
> simple as not having any file association set up.
>
> As a test visit the following site which is loaded with streaming
> video, different web cam interviews from Microsoft product managers
> and engineers.
>
> http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowForum.a...mID=14&TagID=9
>
> Can you stream these in Media Player?

Adam Albright

Re: Streaming Video Problem
On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 18:32:00 -0700, Cyclonic
<Cyclonic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I go to this web page and I click on a file, I am forwarded to a second
>page;
>-- http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=319241
>I am then offerred choices for the file that would include; full screen,
>download, WMA, etc. If I select "full screen", the browser opens in a new
>wuindow and the streaming commences.

Lets back up a bit. If I click on the above link I immediately see the
video embedded within the web page. If I click on the player controls
it begins to play immediately. If you see this you should see three
gray buttons. Press the middle one that looks like an arrow. What
happens? It should simply start playing within the web page.

It sounds like you are pushing one of the orange buttons below the
embedded video. Those will do as you said.

>If I go to a different page with streaming video, for example;
>http://www.schneeberg.org/uk/photo/films/index.html
>and click on the .wmv file, a new window opens but I get the "Internet
>cannot display the webpage message"

I visited your second link. It doesn't appear the three files are set
up to stream so they can't. So I download the first one and it played
correctly in Media Player once I had it on my system. Curious, I took
a quick look at the source code on the web page in question and didn't
see any coding that what cause any of the three vids to stream.
Doesn't appear to have been the author's intent.

Streaming videos typically have the video embedded like on the first
link. You usually see either the first frame of the video or a blank
placeholder until you press the play button.

Cyclonic

Re: Streaming Video Problem
When I go your suggested link I do not see any player controls, nor any gray
buttons. (I saved a screen print if your interested)
I have enclosed another example of where I get referred to a new window that
can not connect;
-- http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/
This NASA site offers me "watch with windows media" and when I click on it,
same thing happens,

Cyclonic

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 18:32:00 -0700, Cyclonic
> <Cyclonic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >When I go to this web page and I click on a file, I am forwarded to a second
> >page;
> >-- http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=319241
> >I am then offerred choices for the file that would include; full screen,
> >download, WMA, etc. If I select "full screen", the browser opens in a new
> >wuindow and the streaming commences.

> Lets back up a bit. If I click on the above link I immediately see the
> video embedded within the web page. If I click on the player controls
> it begins to play immediately. If you see this you should see three
> gray buttons. Press the middle one that looks like an arrow. What
> happens? It should simply start playing within the web page.
>
> It sounds like you are pushing one of the orange buttons below the
> embedded video. Those will do as you said.
>
> >If I go to a different page with streaming video, for example;
> >http://www.schneeberg.org/uk/photo/films/index.html
> >and click on the .wmv file, a new window opens but I get the "Internet
> >cannot display the webpage message"

> I visited your second link. It doesn't appear the three files are set
> up to stream so they can't. So I download the first one and it played
> correctly in Media Player once I had it on my system. Curious, I took
> a quick look at the source code on the web page in question and didn't
> see any coding that what cause any of the three vids to stream.
> Doesn't appear to have been the author's intent.
>
> Streaming videos typically have the video embedded like on the first
> link. You usually see either the first frame of the video or a blank
> placeholder until you press the play button.

Adam Albright

Re: Streaming Video Problem
On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 04:37:00 -0700, Cyclonic
<Cyclonic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I go your suggested link I do not see any player controls, nor any gray
>buttons. (I saved a screen print if your interested)

That may be useful so we can see what you're seeing. Capture a screen
shot of any of the Channel Nine links and post that. Most should have
embedded videos or a placeholder asking you to install some player if
the web browsers doesn't detect you have what you need.

As far as the other sites it depends WHICH one you go to. There's all
kinds of video formats. Some may require QuickTime a free player from
Apple or another player that can handle MOV format and some sites may
require some ActiveX control getting installed.

AFAIK all versions of Vista come with a few small sample videos in WMV
format to test if media player is working. If I remember correctly
there's one of a bear and another with flowers. Can you play those
correctly?

K111

Re: Streaming Video Problem
I just tried this out with my Vista Ultimate machine and the embedded video
does not show on the MSDN site but selecting a picture using the Orange Full
Screen Button, WMP started and it ran. I went to the UK site and Nasa and
they worked also. Went back to the MSDN site and downloaded Silverlight,
installed it and then Embedded Video shows up and can be played with the gray
buttons. This is just FYI.

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 04:37:00 -0700, Cyclonic
> <Cyclonic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >When I go your suggested link I do not see any player controls, nor any gray
> >buttons. (I saved a screen print if your interested)

> That may be useful so we can see what you're seeing. Capture a screen
> shot of any of the Channel Nine links and post that. Most should have
> embedded videos or a placeholder asking you to install some player if
> the web browsers doesn't detect you have what you need.
>
> As far as the other sites it depends WHICH one you go to. There's all
> kinds of video formats. Some may require QuickTime a free player from
> Apple or another player that can handle MOV format and some sites may
> require some ActiveX control getting installed.
>
> AFAIK all versions of Vista come with a few small sample videos in WMV
> format to test if media player is working. If I remember correctly
> there's one of a bear and another with flowers. Can you play those
> correctly?

Cyclonic

Re: Streaming Video Problem
I receive this error message" Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The
server might not be available or there might be a problem with your network
or firewall settings, at the channel9 web page. My laptop with XPPro runs
this site fine.
I also used my laptop to run the site;
http://www.schneeberg.org/uk/photo/films/index.html
and windows media player opened the file immediately in Windows media player.
From this it appears that my problem may not be the inability to play
streaming video from the web sites, as much as an inability to have these wmv
files automatically open up windows media player. start buffering the file
and then play it. Is this the same or a different way of decribing the
problem? The question becomes; why doesn't these web sites automatically
trigger Media player to open up and start buffering/playing the file in my
Vista computer, yet does it for the same web sites on my XP laptop?
--
Cyclonic