Thumbnail error with AVI files

netverde

Thumbnail error with AVI files

Hello, I've installed recently Windows Vista x64 on my computer and now
I have a problem with thumbnails.

I cannot view the thumbnails in explorer window but I can see AVI files
correctly in windows media. I used GSpot software to ascertain the
codecs. Then I download and install all the codecs I need.

I believe than my operating system don't create the thumbnails while
I'm navigating on folders. My surprise was when I discovered the
thumbnails generated if I navigate to folders in Open option in windows
media.

I mean if I open windows media or another program and use the open
option (Windows Media --> Open File), then a new window is opened, where
I can explore the files. Here I can view the thumbnails because in this
moment there are generated. Then, each time I visit the folder with
thumbnails generated I'll can view the thumbnails.

I don't know I can resolve this problem but I believe that something
happen in the registry. I've visited this and others forums to fix the
registry but I don't know how.

Thank you. I hope you understand my problem.

--
netverde
Michael

Re: Thumbnail error with AVI files
The thumbnails may have been produced when vista did not yet have the proper
codecs. If you delete the current crop of thumbnails then they will be
recreated as you open folders and that might help.

Easy way to delete all current thumbnails is via right click on the drive in
use (i.e. C select properties, under general tab select disk cleanup. One
of the check boxes is to delete the thumbnails, (any other cleanups are up
to you).

Michael

"netverde" <netverde.2xqfl7@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hello, I've installed recently Windows Vista x64 on my computer and now
> I have a problem with thumbnails.
>
> I cannot view the thumbnails in explorer window but I can see AVI files
> correctly in windows media. I used GSpot software to ascertain the
> codecs. Then I download and install all the codecs I need.
>
> I believe than my operating system don't create the thumbnails while
> I'm navigating on folders. My surprise was when I discovered the
> thumbnails generated if I navigate to folders in Open option in windows
> media.
>
> I mean if I open windows media or another program and use the open
> option (Windows Media --> Open File), then a new window is opened, where
> I can explore the files. Here I can view the thumbnails because in this
> moment there are generated. Then, each time I visit the folder with
> thumbnails generated I'll can view the thumbnails.
>
> I don't know I can resolve this problem but I believe that something
> happen in the registry. I've visited this and others forums to fix the
> registry but I don't know how.
>
> Thank you. I hope you understand my problem.
>

> --
> netverde

netverde

Re: Thumbnail error with AVI files

Hello michael, I've just cleaned all the thumbnails of my computer but
that's not the problem. The images only generates in open file window.
While I'm looking for a solution, I've seen *.reg files with
instructions to configurate *.avi extension but it's very complicate to
understanding. I believe in the registry there is a place where I can
indicate to computer generate thumbnails in explorer window, but I'm not
sure.

Thanks.

--
netverde
Michael

Re: Thumbnail error with AVI files
AVI is a envelope specification within which various audio and video packets
can be placed. These video packets can require decoders (CODECs) from
different manufactures in order to display. I currently have one avi file
(used an Indeo CODEC) that will not generate a thumbnail (actually creates
one but it is just static at bottom of screen) even tho I have added the
correct CODEC and it will actually play correctly. So there must be more to
it than just having correct CODEC.

Michael

"netverde" <netverde.2xqpb4@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hello michael, I've just cleaned all the thumbnails of my computer but
> that's not the problem. The images only generates in open file window.
> While I'm looking for a solution, I've seen *.reg files with
> instructions to configurate *.avi extension but it's very complicate to
> understanding. I believe in the registry there is a place where I can
> indicate to computer generate thumbnails in explorer window, but I'm not
> sure.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Michael;467673 Wrote:
>> The thumbnails may have been produced when vista did not yet have the
>> proper
>> codecs. If you delete the current crop of thumbnails then they will be
>> recreated as you open folders and that might help.
>>
>> Easy way to delete all current thumbnails is via right click on the
>> drive in
>> use (i.e. C select properties, under general tab select disk cleanup.
>> One
>> of the check boxes is to delete the thumbnails, (any other cleanups are
>> up
>> to you).
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> "netverde" <netverde.2xqfl7@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> --
> netverde

Michael

Re: Thumbnail error with AVI files
OK now I am confused, before my reply I had opened Windows Photo Gallery to
confirm that there was an invalid thumbnail. Sent my reply. Then I went back
into Widows Photo Gallery to check some other pictures..... The bad avi
thumbnail is there and is correct!
Michael

"Michael" <mexxwalraven@verson.net> wrote in message
> AVI is a envelope specification within which various audio and video
> packets can be placed. These video packets can require decoders (CODECs)
> from different manufactures in order to display. I currently have one avi
> file (used an Indeo CODEC) that will not generate a thumbnail (actually
> creates one but it is just static at bottom of screen) even tho I have
> added the correct CODEC and it will actually play correctly. So there must
> be more to it than just having correct CODEC.
>
> Michael
>

> "netverde" <netverde.2xqpb4@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Hello michael, I've just cleaned all the thumbnails of my computer but
>> that's not the problem. The images only generates in open file window.
>> While I'm looking for a solution, I've seen *.reg files with
>> instructions to configurate *.avi extension but it's very complicate to
>> understanding. I believe in the registry there is a place where I can
>> indicate to computer generate thumbnails in explorer window, but I'm not
>> sure.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> Michael;467673 Wrote:
>>> The thumbnails may have been produced when vista did not yet have the
>>> proper
>>> codecs. If you delete the current crop of thumbnails then they will be
>>> recreated as you open folders and that might help.
>>>
>>> Easy way to delete all current thumbnails is via right click on the
>>> drive in
>>> use (i.e. C select properties, under general tab select disk cleanup.
>>> One
>>> of the check boxes is to delete the thumbnails, (any other cleanups are
>>> up
>>> to you).
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>
>>> "netverde" <netverde.2xqfl7@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

>> --
>> netverde

netverde

Re: Thumbnail error with AVI files

Hi Michael, I understand your response but I don't believe the codec is
the problem.

The GSpot program open any video file and analize it. It's says the
codec used and more, in this case Indeo 5.x codec.

I would think that the codec is the problem if this images never
appears. But it's generates in window open file but in explorer window
not.

--
netverde
Idonteatenoughpies

Re: Thumbnail error with AVI files
Hi, I've been having exactly the same problem. I installed Vista 64 just
under a month ago and I had this issue. Somehow I managed to solve it (it was
at 5am so my memory of it was a little fuzzy) I had previously tried all the
various reg fixes (not that I understood them), various codecs packages and I
seem to remember the Vista Codec Pack solving my problem.

This week I installed a new primary harddrive and a clean install of Vista
64 and I have the same issue and can't fix it to save my life!

Did you get anywhere with a solution to your problem and if so, what did you
do? I'm clean out of ideas!
netverde

Idonteatenoughpies;483707 Wrote:
> Hi, I've been having exactly the same problem. I installed Vista 64 just
> under a month ago and I had this issue. Somehow I managed to solve it
> (it was
> at 5am so my memory of it was a little fuzzy) I had previously tried
> all the
> various reg fixes (not that I understood them), various codecs packages
> and I
> seem to remember the Vista Codec Pack solving my problem.
>
> This week I installed a new primary harddrive and a clean install of
> Vista
> 64 and I have the same issue and can't fix it to save my life!
>
> Did you get anywhere with a solution to your problem and if so, what
> did you
> do? I'm clean out of ideas!

Hello Idonteatenoughpies,

I couldn't resolve this problem yet. You're the first person I meant
that happens the same than me.
I'm looking for a solution in others forums, but .... If some day I
find it, I'll post here, in this thread.
I heard Microsoft is building the first service pack to Windows Vista.
Maybe only we have to wait a little.

--
netverde
dzomlija

Re: Thumbnail error with AVI files

I experienced the same problems with thumbnails. They don't show in
explorer, but do in media programs. This happens because explorer is 64
bit, and Windows Media Player, by default, is 32 Bit.

You need to enable 64 Bit Media Player and make sure you have 64 Bit
Codecs installed. I use this package: 'Vista Codec Package v4.5.1 Final
- XP 2k3 Vista - MSFN Forums'
(http://www.msfn.org/board/Vista_Code..._2_t66826.html)

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Thumbnail error with AVI files

Indeo isn't going to work ideally. You would likely have a much better
experience if you reencoded the content to use a different codec.

--
Speaking for myself only.