Photo Gallery Update Annoyance

Armando

Photo Gallery Update Annoyance
I recently started using WPG to importing RAW image files to my PC.
Coincidentally or not, WPG began offering my an update for WPG (1st time
this offer has occurred).

WHen I clicked OK for the update, it ultimately takes me to Canon's site (I
use a Canon camera). There, I am able to click on several informational
links (including an upgrade to ZB 5.8b (which I already have), but no WPG
upgrade, as promised.

THis has become quite annoying and I have turned it off, but the question
is, since when has MS allowed thrid parties to offer updates for WPG? And
after all that, not even follow through? Has anyone lese seen this?

THanks!

Synapse Syndrome

Re: Photo Gallery Update Annoyance
"Armando" <armando@comcast.com> wrote in message
>I recently started using WPG to importing RAW image files to my PC.
>Coincidentally or not, WPG began offering my an update for WPG (1st time
>this offer has occurred).
>
> WHen I clicked OK for the update, it ultimately takes me to Canon's site
> (I use a Canon camera). There, I am able to click on several informational
> links (including an upgrade to ZB 5.8b (which I already have), but no WPG
> upgrade, as promised.
>
> THis has become quite annoying and I have turned it off, but the question
> is, since when has MS allowed thrid parties to offer updates for WPG? And
> after all that, not even follow through? Has anyone lese seen this?

Yeah, I get that, but get directed to a non-existing update at the Nikon
site, IIRC.

ss.

Michael

Re: Photo Gallery Update Annoyance
Armando,

This is Microsoft trying to be helpful. The RAW formats from the various
cameras are proprietary and very unstandardised. If the camera maker has not
provided a decoder for their particular raw format (because they haven't
yet;can't figure it out;don't want to for proprietary reasons; who actually
knows why), Microsoft points you to their web site in hopes they have got
one written.

My Fujifilm camera's (S5000) raw mode import triggers the same attempt to
help. So far no converter available from Fujifilm.

If you want a raw viewer in WPG you will need to persuade Cannon to build
one. Polite messages to their support staff may actually result in some
action if enough people ask.

Michael

"Armando" <armando@comcast.com> wrote in message
>I recently started using WPG to importing RAW image files to my PC.
>Coincidentally or not, WPG began offering my an update for WPG (1st time
>this offer has occurred).
>
> WHen I clicked OK for the update, it ultimately takes me to Canon's site
> (I use a Canon camera). There, I am able to click on several informational
> links (including an upgrade to ZB 5.8b (which I already have), but no WPG
> upgrade, as promised.
>
> THis has become quite annoying and I have turned it off, but the question
> is, since when has MS allowed thrid parties to offer updates for WPG? And
> after all that, not even follow through? Has anyone lese seen this?
>
> THanks!

Armando

Re: Photo Gallery Update Annoyance
Thanks Michael and Synapse. At least I'm not alone. .

"Armando" <armando@comcast.com> wrote in message
>I recently started using WPG to importing RAW image files to my PC.
>Coincidentally or not, WPG began offering my an update for WPG (1st time
>this offer has occurred).
>
> WHen I clicked OK for the update, it ultimately takes me to Canon's site
> (I use a Canon camera). There, I am able to click on several informational
> links (including an upgrade to ZB 5.8b (which I already have), but no WPG
> upgrade, as promised.
>
> THis has become quite annoying and I have turned it off, but the question
> is, since when has MS allowed thrid parties to offer updates for WPG? And
> after all that, not even follow through? Has anyone lese seen this?
>
> THanks!

DevilsPGD

Re: Photo Gallery Update Annoyance
In message <eSz$21vAIHA.4712@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl> "Michael"
<mexxwalraven@verson.net> wrote:

>This is Microsoft trying to be helpful. The RAW formats from the various
>cameras are proprietary and very unstandardised. If the camera maker has not
>provided a decoder for their particular raw format (because they haven't
>yet;can't figure it out;don't want to for proprietary reasons; who actually
>knows why), Microsoft points you to their web site in hopes they have got
>one written.
>
>My Fujifilm camera's (S5000) raw mode import triggers the same attempt to
>help. So far no converter available from Fujifilm.
>
>If you want a raw viewer in WPG you will need to persuade Cannon to build
>one. Polite messages to their support staff may actually result in some
>action if enough people ask.

Oddly enough, I get similar and I do not use RAW formats at all.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Jume

Re: Photo Gallery Update Annoyance
well i have the canon raw codec installed from the canon website, so im
pretty sure it exists somewhere ;-)

as someone said before, is only logical that ms points you at the
manufacturer site to download a codec, just because it is a codec, not an
"update" as we would understand (just the very same as if you download the
divx codec and such, but for images)

here: http://software.canon-europe.com/sof...049.asp?model=

the "=" is in the url also, not a typo
im not surprised you didnt find it in the US website, i just tried and
failed miserably, it is a mess, just get it from the european site from the
link above

K111

RE: Photo Gallery Update Annoyance
FYI:

Try this link it worked for me a few months ago to get the Canon CR2 Raw
codec for my Rebel XT when it first became available. You can search by
product etc. and get updated Vista software here.

http://www.usa.canon.com/opd/control...upportVistaAct

Have a nice day