No Media Center in Ultimate??

UndeadOverlord

No Media Center in Ultimate??
I just installed Windows Vista Ultimate Edition and for some reason theres no
Windows Media Center in here. I thought that Ultimate had Media Center? If it
is supposed to be in there is there any way I can get a patch that will allow
me to use Media Center?
Eberhard Schefold

Re: No Media Center in Ultimate??
UndeadOverlord wrote:

> I just installed Windows Vista Ultimate Edition and for some reason theres no
> Windows Media Center in here.

There are only two possibilities:

1. You overlooked Windows Media Center. You're 100% positive that
there is no Windows Media Center under "All Programs"? Try using the
"Start Search" field.
2. What you've installed isn't Vista Ultimate.
Cal Bear '66

Re: No Media Center in Ultimate??
Go to Control Panel (Classic view) > Default Programs > "Set Program access and
computer defaults" link > approve UAC > click the Custom section downward
pointing double arrow and make sure that there is a check in the box for Windows
Media Center "Enable access to this program".

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"UndeadOverlord" <UndeadOverlord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news4781BD9-19D1-4809-9E49-19BF35B94A98@microsoft.com...
>I just installed Windows Vista Ultimate Edition and for some reason theres no
> Windows Media Center in here. I thought that Ultimate had Media Center? If it
> is supposed to be in there is there any way I can get a patch that will allow
> me to use Media Center?

UndeadOverlord

Re: No Media Center in Ultimate??
That access and defaults thing doesn't work, and I'm sure this is ultimate
and I haven't overlooked because I bought this comp with Ultimate
preinstalled and in the My Computer properties it says Ultimate and I have
Ultimate Extras so I don't know whats wrong

"Eberhard Schefold" wrote:

> UndeadOverlord wrote:
>
> > I just installed Windows Vista Ultimate Edition and for some reason theres no
> > Windows Media Center in here.

> There are only two possibilities:
>
> 1. You overlooked Windows Media Center. You're 100% positive that
> there is no Windows Media Center under "All Programs"? Try using the
> "Start Search" field.
> 2. What you've installed isn't Vista Ultimate.

Cal Bear '66

Re: No Media Center in Ultimate??
Type this into the Start Search box above the Start Orb:

%SystemRoot%\ehome\ehshell.exe

Then press ENTER.

What happens?

Also, after checking the box in Default Programs > Set program access..., did
you reboot? Was the box already checked?

> That access and defaults thing doesn't work, and I'm sure this is ultimate
> and I haven't overlooked because I bought this comp with Ultimate
> preinstalled and in the My Computer properties it says Ultimate and I have
> Ultimate Extras so I don't know whats wrong
>
> "Eberhard Schefold" wrote:
>
>> UndeadOverlord wrote:
>>
>> > I just installed Windows Vista Ultimate Edition and for some reason theres
>> > no
>> > Windows Media Center in here.

>> There are only two possibilities:
>>
>> 1. You overlooked Windows Media Center. You're 100% positive that
>> there is no Windows Media Center under "All Programs"? Try using the
>> "Start Search" field.
>> 2. What you've installed isn't Vista Ultimate.

Cal Bear '66

Re: No Media Center in Ultimate??
Also, when you type: Windows Media Center into the Start Search box above
the Start Orb, what appears at the very top left of the Start Menu?

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
> Type this into the Start Search box above the Start Orb:
>
> %SystemRoot%\ehome\ehshell.exe
>
> Then press ENTER.
>
> What happens?
>
> Also, after checking the box in Default Programs > Set program access..., did
> you reboot? Was the box already checked?
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "UndeadOverlord" <UndeadOverlord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> That access and defaults thing doesn't work, and I'm sure this is ultimate
>> and I haven't overlooked because I bought this comp with Ultimate
>> preinstalled and in the My Computer properties it says Ultimate and I have
>> Ultimate Extras so I don't know whats wrong

>>> There are only two possibilities:
>>>
>>> 1. You overlooked Windows Media Center. You're 100% positive that
>>> there is no Windows Media Center under "All Programs"? Try using the
>>> "Start Search" field.
>>> 2. What you've installed isn't Vista Ultimate.

UndeadOverlord

Re: No Media Center in Ultimate??
I typed %SystemRoot%\ehome\ehshell.exe in and hit enter and it said not found
and when I search for Windows Media Center it just keeps saying Loading

Also when checking to see if access to program is disabled the program isn't
even in the list

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Also, when you type: Windows Media Center into the Start Search box above
> the Start Orb, what appears at the very top left of the Start Menu?
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
> > Type this into the Start Search box above the Start Orb:
> >
> > %SystemRoot%\ehome\ehshell.exe
> >
> > Then press ENTER.
> >
> > What happens?
> >
> > Also, after checking the box in Default Programs > Set program access..., did
> > you reboot? Was the box already checked?
> >

> > I Bleed Blue and Gold
> > GO BEARS!
> >

> > "UndeadOverlord" <UndeadOverlord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> That access and defaults thing doesn't work, and I'm sure this is ultimate
> >> and I haven't overlooked because I bought this comp with Ultimate
> >> preinstalled and in the My Computer properties it says Ultimate and I have
> >> Ultimate Extras so I don't know whats wrong

Cal Bear '66

Re: No Media Center in Ultimate??
You did say that this is a new computer, right? If I were you, I would return
it for repair, replacement or a refund. Vista Ultimate most definitely should
have Windows Media Center installed by default. Did you search (advanced:
system and hidden files) for ehshell.exe?

One thing you could do is run system file checker, although it is doubtful this
would solve your problem. In the Start Search box above the Start Orb, type
cmd. When cmd.exe appears at the top of the Start Menu, right click and select
"Run as Administrator". Type sfc /scannow into the command window and press
Enter. Wait while sfc checks your system files.

Another thing to try is an in place upgrade. From your Vista desktop, insert
the Vista DVD (assuming you have one and not a recovery partition) and install
Vista over itself. Or if you have a full, not upgrade, Vista DVD, just
reformatting and installing Vista anew if you have drivers for all your hardware
and program installation disks.

Not that it helps, but this is the first time I have read of this problem in
these newsgroups.

news7E51953-349F-4F8D-BC10-2221FDF0BD38@microsoft.com...
>I typed %SystemRoot%\ehome\ehshell.exe in and hit enter and it said not found
> and when I search for Windows Media Center it just keeps saying Loading
>
> Also when checking to see if access to program is disabled the program isn't
> even in the list
>

> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Also, when you type: Windows Media Center into the Start Search box above
>> the Start Orb, what appears at the very top left of the Start Menu?
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
>> > Type this into the Start Search box above the Start Orb:
>> >
>> > %SystemRoot%\ehome\ehshell.exe
>> >
>> > Then press ENTER.
>> >
>> > What happens?
>> >
>> > Also, after checking the box in Default Programs > Set program access...,
>> > did
>> > you reboot? Was the box already checked?
>> >

>> > I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> > GO BEARS!
>> >

>> > "UndeadOverlord" <UndeadOverlord@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message

UndeadOverlord

Re: No Media Center in Ultimate??
Yea this was weird to me too I had another computer that I custom built and I
installed Vista Ultimate on there and I had Media Center and everythin worked
fine but now I got this one and I can't use it and I really wanted it to use
the extender features but now I can't use the 360 extender and its annoying