Having problems printing pictures with photo gallery

Benoit Dacier

Having problems printing pictures with photo gallery
First of all I'm using a HP5740 with the default vista driver (there's no
driver from HP). There are two things that i need resolved;

1. When trying to print with a 1200dpi resolution (in the driver 1200x2400)
the printing module from photo gallery shows "quality: 1200dpi text". So when
i try to print a photo the printer starts and then immediatly spits out a
blank page. When selecting 600dpi there's no problem.
2. As in XP, I would like to have the possibility to print 3 photo's 10x15
on one A4. This option isn't available, just only 2 photo's which is quite a
waste of paper.

Is there anyone who can help me with these problems via a registry hack or
anything else? Thanks in Advance
Adam Albright

Re: Having problems printing pictures with photo gallery
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:58:01 -0700, Benoit Dacier
<BenoitDacier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>First of all I'm using a HP5740 with the default vista driver (there's no
>driver from HP). There are two things that i need resolved;

According to HP a driver for this model is already on the Vista DVD.

>1. When trying to print with a 1200dpi resolution (in the driver 1200x2400)
>the printing module from photo gallery shows "quality: 1200dpi text". So when
>i try to print a photo the printer starts and then immediatly spits out a
>blank page. When selecting 600dpi there's no problem.
>2. As in XP, I would like to have the possibility to print 3 photo's 10x15
>on one A4. This option isn't available, just only 2 photo's which is quite a
>waste of paper.
>
>Is there anyone who can help me with these problems via a registry hack or
>anything else? Thanks in Advance

Try this:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...57202&lang=en#

As printers become more advanced their drivers get more involved and
it is critical you select the right option. I have a Canon MP600 and
it has page after page of options to set color density, different
settings for different paper, printing on a DVD and well as a host of
different resolutions and page settings.

Benoit Dacier

Re: Having problems printing pictures with photo gallery
No that's not the problem. I can set the resolutions even in the default
drivers, only it won't print, because photo gallery says 1200dpi text instead
of photo.

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:58:01 -0700, Benoit Dacier
> <BenoitDacier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >First of all I'm using a HP5740 with the default vista driver (there's no
> >driver from HP). There are two things that i need resolved;

> According to HP a driver for this model is already on the Vista DVD.
> >
> >1. When trying to print with a 1200dpi resolution (in the driver 1200x2400)
> >the printing module from photo gallery shows "quality: 1200dpi text". So when
> >i try to print a photo the printer starts and then immediatly spits out a
> >blank page. When selecting 600dpi there's no problem.
> >2. As in XP, I would like to have the possibility to print 3 photo's 10x15
> >on one A4. This option isn't available, just only 2 photo's which is quite a
> >waste of paper.
> >
> >Is there anyone who can help me with these problems via a registry hack or
> >anything else? Thanks in Advance

> Try this:
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...57202&lang=en#
>
> As printers become more advanced their drivers get more involved and
> it is critical you select the right option. I have a Canon MP600 and
> it has page after page of options to set color density, different
> settings for different paper, printing on a DVD and well as a host of
> different resolutions and page settings.

Adam Albright

Re: Having problems printing pictures with photo gallery
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:50:04 -0700, Benoit Dacier
<BenoitDacier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>No that's not the problem. I can set the resolutions even in the default
>drivers, only it won't print, because photo gallery says 1200dpi text instead
>of photo.

What do the printer dialog boxes show when you go to set options
before printing? My printer has a huge selection of options. If you
pick the wrong one you get unexpected results. I'm assuming HP
printers do the same thing.

For example if I click on print from Photo Galley, then print again
from the little windows that opens I get choices to change quality and
paper type. In addition at the bottom if I click on options Photo
Galley shows a printer properties option which if I click on it brings
up the Canon printer dialog which presents a wealth of other options
to specifically change just about anything.

So what I'm suggesting is you may have an option to print at higher
DPI using some more advanced features of your printer, but you may
have to drill down in some dialog or choice boxes to set it up before
it gets used. It sounds like Photo Galley is just defaulting to some
other choice.

This is one of those gray areas. It could be my Canon printer driver
just supports more features and interacts better than you HP. Without
having you make/model printer I can't tell.

Can you try printing from another application? Trying to print from
Photo Gallery may be inhibiting some of the more advanced options you
printer may support.

>"Adam Albright" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:58:01 -0700, Benoit Dacier
>> <BenoitDacier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >First of all I'm using a HP5740 with the default vista driver (there's no
>> >driver from HP). There are two things that i need resolved;

>> According to HP a driver for this model is already on the Vista DVD.
>> >
>> >1. When trying to print with a 1200dpi resolution (in the driver 1200x2400)
>> >the printing module from photo gallery shows "quality: 1200dpi text". So when
>> >i try to print a photo the printer starts and then immediatly spits out a
>> >blank page. When selecting 600dpi there's no problem.
>> >2. As in XP, I would like to have the possibility to print 3 photo's 10x15
>> >on one A4. This option isn't available, just only 2 photo's which is quite a
>> >waste of paper.
>> >
>> >Is there anyone who can help me with these problems via a registry hack or
>> >anything else? Thanks in Advance

>> Try this:
>>
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...57202&lang=en#
>>
>> As printers become more advanced their drivers get more involved and
>> it is critical you select the right option. I have a Canon MP600 and
>> it has page after page of options to set color density, different
>> settings for different paper, printing on a DVD and well as a host of
>> different resolutions and page settings.

Benoit Dacier

Re: Having problems printing pictures with photo gallery
It indeed seems to be a problem with my printer driver. I've tried picasa and
number two of my problems dissapears (I can even print 4 10x15cm photo's on
one A4 in borderless printing). But still my printer won't print at 1200dpi,
though I've tried a whole lot of different settings including non borderless
printing etc.