Need help using Windows photo gallery.

carlynn

Need help using Windows photo gallery.
I am using windows vista and am trying to burn a dvd from the photo gallery
which I understand you can do.
I am following what the help says to do but I do not get the features that I
am supposed to, when I go to burn on the menu and pick data disk it copies
the files to the dvd but then nothing happens and I cannot find any place
where you can burn the files to the dvd.

In the help they refer to the files being copied but then no reference to
how to actually get them burned on the disk. I have tried looking everywhere
and no where do I get burn to disk.
Would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks
Adam Albright

Re: Need help using Windows photo gallery.
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:23:05 -0700, carlynn
<carlynn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am using windows vista and am trying to burn a dvd from the photo gallery
>which I understand you can do.
>I am following what the help says to do but I do not get the features that I
>am supposed to, when I go to burn on the menu and pick data disk it copies
>the files to the dvd but then nothing happens and I cannot find any place
>where you can burn the files to the dvd.
>
>In the help they refer to the files being copied but then no reference to
>how to actually get them burned on the disk. I have tried looking everywhere
>and no where do I get burn to disk.
>Would appreciate any help you can give me.
>Thanks

Microsoft didn't do a very good job in explaining the options.

First off Microsoft limits DVD burning to the Home Premium and
Ultimate versions of Vista. You can't burn a DVD if you have a
different version of Vista UNLESS you use some third party software
such a Roxio Easy Media Creator or Nero.

Important differences:

A "data disk" is just that, nothing more than a copying of some files
from one of your hard drives to a CD or DVD. These can be played off
the computer you created them on and on other computers depending on
what method you used. If you "copy" a bunch of JPEG files these also
may be playable on some set top or portable CD/DVD players that
support that format directly, most don't. Some may feature some crude
slide show capability, but you are limited to simply seeing the files
one after another minus any fancy effects typically using the device's
remote.

A true "slide show" begins by creating it in Microsoft's Movie Maker
or with another video editor. In effect you're really making a video.
The advantages are many. You have far more control. You can arrange
the images in any way you wish, vary the length, zoom in, pan, add
transitions, effects, a music track, etc.. Again these can be "burned"
to a CD in any version of Vista that comes with Movie Maker, but you
can't make a DVD. That requires DVD Maker which comes with Home
Premium and Ultimate which according to what others said, I haven't
done it myself since I have the business version, then DVD Maker will
use the project file created in Movie Maker to create a DVD that
should be playable in any device.

You can use Photo Galley to select random images by clicking on "burn"
then dragging the files as indicated then following the prompts. Again
the same issues come up depending on what version of Vista you have.

Hope that helps you understand a little better.

carlynn

Re: Need help using Windows photo gallery.
Thank you for your help. I am using Vista Home Premium. The reason I have
not used windows dvd maker yet is that I need to upgrade my video card as it
tells me when I try to use it that it needs a newer video card.
I do not understand why they go so far as to tell you that you can burn
dvd's in the photo gallery help when it just copys the files to a disk and
you get no burn command after that. After all on the top it does say burn
which seems to be false as copying is not burning a disk I don't think.
When you go to the photo gallery it always has the first picture selected,
then when you go to burn and select data disk it just starts copying
immediatly and then does nothing else at all. I leaves you sit there not
knowing what to do next. It just sounded to good that you could just go in
there and view and then burn your pics to the dvd and be done.
Think they better go back to designing with better instructions or some
people who know what they are saying when they write up this stuff.
Perhaps they should realize that there are people out there that are new to
this stuff and need to have there directions a tiny bit more specific.

yo

hola
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz