Audio Editing

David

Audio Editing
I am trying to create a music CD with songs available thru I-tunes or from a
commercial CD. I want to be able to take a song and simply make it
shorter(phasing it out gradually at about 2/3 the way through it. I also
would like to be able to take a song and eliminate the vocals (mostly because
of offensive language) leaving the music portion in the song. After making
these changes I want to burn it to a CD. Can I do these 2 tasks with Windows
Movie maker or do I have to purchase a special audio editing software
program? Are there free downloads that can do these tasks? Thx. David
Adam Albright

Re: Audio Editing
On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:40:01 -0700, David
<David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am trying to create a music CD with songs available thru I-tunes or from a
>commercial CD. I want to be able to take a song and simply make it
>shorter(phasing it out gradually at about 2/3 the way through it. I also
>would like to be able to take a song and eliminate the vocals (mostly because
>of offensive language) leaving the music portion in the song. After making
>these changes I want to burn it to a CD. Can I do these 2 tasks with Windows
>Movie maker or do I have to purchase a special audio editing software
>program? Are there free downloads that can do these tasks? Thx. David

Any protection schemes aside which may throw a monkey wrench into
anything you try to do 'legally' with any newish commercial CDs these
days editing and adding effects/enhancements is fairly straight
forward.

Grab a download of Audacity, it's a FREE, very capable entry level
audio Swiss knife kind of tool which you can use to manipulate most
audio files. It presents your file as a visual waveform which can be
easily edited.

Yes, Audacity can easily fade a song to total silence, change pitch,
tempo, things like that. Eliminating vocals while technically possible
with some pro grade editors if you happen to know some good audio
engineer then yes, you can more or less do it otherwise no way since
by the time you've got the CD or whatever source you're using the
vocal track has been merged into one or more channels which most
always also includes music, there is no longer any vocal track to
delete or separate from whatever music may be present.

Frank Niron

RE: Audio Editing
If you want a professional one - go with Sony Sound Forge or Adobe Audition
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...orgefamily.asp
http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/?sdid=BDXEY