Application Crash in Explorer et al.

Sergio

Application Crash in Explorer et al.
Whenever I browse to a folder on my computer that contains video files, and
select View/Tile, I get an application crash:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: RunDLL32.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549b0e1
Fault Module Name: StackHash_1703
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0152b5ed
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1703
Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
Additional Information 3: 1344
Additional Information 4: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e

That's the easiest way for me to reproduce the problem. I can also get an
application crash if I run Movie Maker and try to import a video. It fails
with the same basic information, except the Application is Movie Maker:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: MOVIEMK.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549b5b6
Fault Module Name: StackHash_1703
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 04a1b5ed
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1703
Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
Additional Information 3: 1344
Additional Information 4: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Thanks,
Sergio
zachd [MSFT]

Re: Application Crash in Explorer et al.

That's a crash in the nVidia driver, if I'm reading that correctly. If you
check their site, is there an updated driver available?

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Sergio" <Sergio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I browse to a folder on my computer that contains video files,
> and
> select View/Tile, I get an application crash:
>
> Problem signature:
> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> Application Name: RunDLL32.exe
> Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
> Application Timestamp: 4549b0e1
> Fault Module Name: StackHash_1703
> Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
> Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
> Exception Code: c0000005
> Exception Offset: 0152b5ed
> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
> Additional Information 1: 1703
> Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
> Additional Information 3: 1344
> Additional Information 4: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e
>
> That's the easiest way for me to reproduce the problem. I can also get an
> application crash if I run Movie Maker and try to import a video. It
> fails
> with the same basic information, except the Application is Movie Maker:
>

> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> Application Name: MOVIEMK.exe
> Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
> Application Timestamp: 4549b5b6
> Fault Module Name: StackHash_1703
> Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
> Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
> Exception Code: c0000005
> Exception Offset: 04a1b5ed
> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> Locale ID: 1033
> Additional Information 1: 1703
> Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
> Additional Information 3: 1344
> Additional Information 4: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e
>
> Any help would be greately appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Sergio

Sergio

Re: Application Crash in Explorer et al.
Well, I have to say that I'm a bit impressed that you deduced an nVidia issue
out of that gibberish. I downloaded the latest driver from Alienware, but
both this one and the original one have produced the same error. It's a
laptop, so driver updates come extremely slowly...I think I'm probably hosed
since the lastest (and only) update came like a year after the original.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> That's a crash in the nVidia driver, if I'm reading that correctly. If you
> check their site, is there an updated driver available?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> "Sergio" <Sergio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I browse to a folder on my computer that contains video files,
> > and
> > select View/Tile, I get an application crash:
> >
> > Problem signature:
> > Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> > Application Name: RunDLL32.exe
> > Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
> > Application Timestamp: 4549b0e1
> > Fault Module Name: StackHash_1703
> > Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
> > Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
> > Exception Code: c0000005
> > Exception Offset: 0152b5ed
> > OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> > Locale ID: 1033
> > Additional Information 1: 1703
> > Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
> > Additional Information 3: 1344
> > Additional Information 4: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e
> >
> > That's the easiest way for me to reproduce the problem. I can also get an
> > application crash if I run Movie Maker and try to import a video. It
> > fails
> > with the same basic information, except the Application is Movie Maker:
> >

> > Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> > Application Name: MOVIEMK.exe
> > Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
> > Application Timestamp: 4549b5b6
> > Fault Module Name: StackHash_1703
> > Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
> > Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
> > Exception Code: c0000005
> > Exception Offset: 04a1b5ed
> > OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
> > Locale ID: 1033
> > Additional Information 1: 1703
> > Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
> > Additional Information 3: 1344
> > Additional Information 4: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e
> >
> > Any help would be greately appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sergio

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Application Crash in Explorer et al.

What's the fault data for the current crash you're getting?

Does nVidia's site have an even more up to date driver... ?

--
> Well, I have to say that I'm a bit impressed that you deduced an nVidia
> issue
> out of that gibberish. I downloaded the latest driver from Alienware, but
> both this one and the original one have produced the same error. It's a
> laptop, so driver updates come extremely slowly...I think I'm probably
> hosed
> since the lastest (and only) update came like a year after the original.
>
> "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
>

>> That's a crash in the nVidia driver, if I'm reading that correctly. If
>> you
>> check their site, is there an updated driver available?
>>
>> --
>> Speaking for myself only.
>> rights.
>> --
>> "Sergio" <Sergio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Whenever I browse to a folder on my computer that contains video files,
>> > and
>> > select View/Tile, I get an application crash:
>> >
>> > Problem signature:
>> > Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
>> > Application Name: RunDLL32.exe
>> > Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
>> > Application Timestamp: 4549b0e1
>> > Fault Module Name: StackHash_1703
>> > Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
>> > Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
>> > Exception Code: c0000005
>> > Exception Offset: 0152b5ed
>> > OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
>> > Locale ID: 1033
>> > Additional Information 1: 1703
>> > Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
>> > Additional Information 3: 1344
>> > Additional Information 4: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e
>> >
>> > That's the easiest way for me to reproduce the problem. I can also get
>> > an
>> > application crash if I run Movie Maker and try to import a video. It
>> > fails
>> > with the same basic information, except the Application is Movie Maker:
>> >

>> > Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
>> > Application Name: MOVIEMK.exe
>> > Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
>> > Application Timestamp: 4549b5b6
>> > Fault Module Name: StackHash_1703
>> > Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
>> > Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
>> > Exception Code: c0000005
>> > Exception Offset: 04a1b5ed
>> > OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
>> > Locale ID: 1033
>> > Additional Information 1: 1703
>> > Additional Information 2: 2264db07e74365624c50317d7b856ae9
>> > Additional Information 3: 1344
>> > Additional Information 4: 875fa2ef9d2bdca96466e8af55d1ae6e
>> >
>> > Any help would be greately appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Sergio

Sergio

Re: Application Crash in Explorer et al.
Zach,

Not sure what you mean by the "fault data", but if you mean what's in the
Event Log, then this is the type of stuff that error puts in there:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>46035</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Raptor</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>RunDLL32.exe</Data>
<Data>6.0.6000.16386</Data>
<Data>4549b0e1</Data>
<Data>unknown</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>00000000</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>011db5ed</Data>
<Data>1788</Data>
<Data>01c80789a82ddb1f</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

That other data comes from the little pop-up window in the "View problem
details" section. Is there any other debugging tools I can use to help you
pinpoint this? (BTW, a friend of mine has the exact same problem with a
desktop computer).

Also, as for the drivers, nVidia doesn't release laptop drivers directly and
they have told me that I need to go to Alienware for them. I have a 7600 Go
card if that means anything.

Sergio

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> What's the fault data for the current crash you're getting?
>
> Does nVidia's site have an even more up to date driver... ?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> "Sergio" <Sergio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well, I have to say that I'm a bit impressed that you deduced an nVidia
> > issue
> > out of that gibberish. I downloaded the latest driver from Alienware, but
> > both this one and the original one have produced the same error. It's a
> > laptop, so driver updates come extremely slowly...I think I'm probably
> > hosed
> > since the lastest (and only) update came like a year after the original.
> >
> > "zachd [MSFT]" wrote:
> >

> >> That's a crash in the nVidia driver, if I'm reading that correctly. If
> >> you
> >> check their site, is there an updated driver available?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Speaking for myself only.
> >> See http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> >> rights.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Application Crash in Explorer et al.

http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#bucket
covers how to best retrieve this data, but that works fine.

I don't see that that data matches up with any reported crashes. You would
likely want to make sure you reported this crash (sent the crash report) to
Microsoft so that it can be better processed. =\