Reversing clips

Nate

Reversing clips
Is there a way to reverse clips in movie maker? Like have it play a part,
then show the clip in reverse for a sec or two and play forward again?

Ex: peson jumps over a railing, clip rewinds when person is in mid air, then
plays forward when it gets to the jump point..
Graham Hughes

Re: Reversing clips
No you can't I'm afraid. I'm not sure if people like Rehan have added Vista
support to their effects, try www.rehanfx.org to see.

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Nate" <Nate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to reverse clips in movie maker? Like have it play a part,
> then show the clip in reverse for a sec or two and play forward again?
>
> Ex: peson jumps over a railing, clip rewinds when person is in mid air,
> then
> plays forward when it gets to the jump point..

Adam Albright

Re: Reversing clips
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:06:13 -0700, Nate
<Nate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to reverse clips in movie maker? Like have it play a part,
>then show the clip in reverse for a sec or two and play forward again?
>
>Ex: peson jumps over a railing, clip rewinds when person is in mid air, then
>plays forward when it gets to the jump point..

To be blunt, Movie Maker is just a toy. It can't do a lot of normal
things any professional grade video editor can easily do. That is why
I ALWAYS recommend anyone that is serious about making videos and/or
slideshows invest in a serious product. Trust me, you'll be glad you
did in all the time you save and frustration you avoid.

There are several "good" video editor packages. Personally I always
recommend Sony's Vegas line for two primary reasons. First I've used
it for years from it's inception back in the early 90's. Second, I've
tried just above every other video editor package there is and I've
found nothing that comes close to the power, flexibility or easy of
use of Vegas.

As to your particular question. In Vegas your source file can be
carved up into what are called "events". An event is any portion of a
source file, any length from a single frame to any length you desire.
Any source file can be divided into as many events as you like, just a
few or thousands, each having it's own unique properties, while at the
same time still remain a whole unit on a single track or split into as
many tracks as you care to manage. That's power!

To reverse an event all you need do is select the event, right click
and select reverse. That simple, but only the beginning. Any event can
be grabbed and stretched effectively extending it's time span or
dragging into itself reducing it's effective time span. Result:
variable slow motion or variable speeding up of motion or stop motion
over a time span you select and control precisely. It gets better.
Using a method called "envelopes" any event can be altered so time
span gradually slows or speeds up within any event by setting
keyframes. So you could begin to slow down a clip, pause it freezing
action, apply any number of effect, then reverse, etc.. What video
editing should be and is... WITH the right tools. Movie Make isn't the
right tool once you get even a little bit past the basics.

Vegas comes in several flavors. The full blown package is expense and
probably overkill for many, but it also comes in versions that use the
same Vegas engine and include great DVD authoring for as little as $69
if you hunt around on the web. The full version is almost $600 and
comes with a whole array of professional level tools if you really
want to push the envelope or need to color correct/improve the quality
of your source video and do more advanced things like compositing or
have access to scopes for histograms, waveforms, vectorscopes, adjust
using curves, levels, etc..

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/