Windows Photo Gallery Crash

JanneM

Windows Photo Gallery Crash
I installed Windows Vista Ultimate yesterday on my new machine and now when I
try to preview one of the sample videos in Photo Gallery, I'll only see a
glimpse of the video, then the program pops up a window saying "Windos Photo
Gallery stopped working" and then shut itself down or sometime just restart.

What can I do to fix this? How can I reinstall one of the windows components?
Adam Albright

Re: Windows Photo Gallery Crash
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:12:05 -0700, JanneM
<JanneM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I installed Windows Vista Ultimate yesterday on my new machine and now when I
>try to preview one of the sample videos in Photo Gallery, I'll only see a
>glimpse of the video, then the program pops up a window saying "Windos Photo
>Gallery stopped working" and then shut itself down or sometime just restart.
>
>What can I do to fix this? How can I reinstall one of the windows components?

Something that sometimes works:

Open Movie Maker. Tools/options, press the restore defaults button.

That should undo what some third party codecs or filters do which
often will hang core Microsoft applets. It's just another sign that
Microsoft doesn't know how to properly right software. The proof is in
the pudding. If some cheesy third party codec or FX filter can so
easily corrupt some core Vista element, then that's proof Vista isn't
written very well. Over 50 million lines of code in Vista and it can't
protect itself. Priceless!

Jon

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:12:05 -0700, JanneM
> <JanneM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I installed Windows Vista Ultimate yesterday on my new machine and now
>>when I
>>try to preview one of the sample videos in Photo Gallery, I'll only see a
>>glimpse of the video, then the program pops up a window saying "Windos
>>Photo
>>Gallery stopped working" and then shut itself down or sometime just
>>restart.
>>
>>What can I do to fix this? How can I reinstall one of the windows
>>components?

> Something that sometimes works:
>
> Open Movie Maker. Tools/options, press the restore defaults button.
>
> That should undo what some third party codecs or filters do which
> often will hang core Microsoft applets. It's just another sign that
> Microsoft doesn't know how to properly right software. The proof is in
> the pudding. If some cheesy third party codec or FX filter can so
> easily corrupt some core Vista element, then that's proof Vista isn't
> written very well. Over 50 million lines of code in Vista and it can't
> protect itself. Priceless!

Thanks for this tip. It also solved my Windows Photo Gallery problem.

At the very least, the fact that you can fix filter problem for WPG in Movie
make needs to be in the help files and troubleshooting.

--
Jon

JanneM

Re: Windows Photo Gallery Crash
Sounds like this would have been a good candidate for fixing my problem.

I managed to trace the issue to something in my profile, but was unable to
get rid of it completley. It kept coming back.

Finally I just created a new account and deleted the old one. ATM, this
seems to have solved my problems. Photo Gallery has been doing fine since
yesterday, at least. Let's see how long that lasts...

I certainly agree that Vista stability is not something to brag about if
core apps, as you say, are this fragile. It's mind boggling actually, how the
OS can be released in such a state.

The mobo in my new, home built computer also dumped on me after about 2
hours running. Unfortunatley, Windows had already activated itself when this
happened, and now I have to try to reach MS support to unlock my license.

How wonderful this is...

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:12:05 -0700, JanneM
> <JanneM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I installed Windows Vista Ultimate yesterday on my new machine and now when I
> >try to preview one of the sample videos in Photo Gallery, I'll only see a
> >glimpse of the video, then the program pops up a window saying "Windos Photo
> >Gallery stopped working" and then shut itself down or sometime just restart.
> >
> >What can I do to fix this? How can I reinstall one of the windows components?

> Something that sometimes works:
>
> Open Movie Maker. Tools/options, press the restore defaults button.
>
> That should undo what some third party codecs or filters do which
> often will hang core Microsoft applets. It's just another sign that
> Microsoft doesn't know how to properly right software. The proof is in
> the pudding. If some cheesy third party codec or FX filter can so
> easily corrupt some core Vista element, then that's proof Vista isn't
> written very well. Over 50 million lines of code in Vista and it can't
> protect itself. Priceless!

Lon Cook

Re: Windows Photo Gallery Crash
I am having the same crash of Photo Gallery, and tried the MoveMaker fix of
resetting the defaults, to no avail. It still crashes, and now do not know
what else to change. I did the classic rename of the index file, and it was
recreated.

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:12:05 -0700, JanneM
> <JanneM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I installed Windows Vista Ultimate yesterday on my new machine and now when I
> >try to preview one of the sample videos in Photo Gallery, I'll only see a
> >glimpse of the video, then the program pops up a window saying "Windos Photo
> >Gallery stopped working" and then shut itself down or sometime just restart.
> >
> >What can I do to fix this? How can I reinstall one of the windows components?

> Something that sometimes works:
>
> Open Movie Maker. Tools/options, press the restore defaults button.
>
> That should undo what some third party codecs or filters do which
> often will hang core Microsoft applets. It's just another sign that
> Microsoft doesn't know how to properly right software. The proof is in
> the pudding. If some cheesy third party codec or FX filter can so
> easily corrupt some core Vista element, then that's proof Vista isn't
> written very well. Over 50 million lines of code in Vista and it can't
> protect itself. Priceless!

shorberg@gmail.com

Re: Windows Photo Gallery Crash
Is there another fix anyone? I am having the same problem and nothing that
windows uses to open a video will work, including the windows live screen
saver . . . any help appreciated, shorerg@gmail.com

"Lon Cook" wrote:

> I am having the same crash of Photo Gallery, and tried the MoveMaker fix of
> resetting the defaults, to no avail. It still crashes, and now do not know
> what else to change. I did the classic rename of the index file, and it was
> recreated.
>
> "Adam Albright" wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:12:05 -0700, JanneM
> > <JanneM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I installed Windows Vista Ultimate yesterday on my new machine and now when I
> > >try to preview one of the sample videos in Photo Gallery, I'll only see a
> > >glimpse of the video, then the program pops up a window saying "Windos Photo
> > >Gallery stopped working" and then shut itself down or sometime just restart.
> > >
> > >What can I do to fix this? How can I reinstall one of the windows components?

> > Something that sometimes works:
> >
> > Open Movie Maker. Tools/options, press the restore defaults button.
> >
> > That should undo what some third party codecs or filters do which
> > often will hang core Microsoft applets. It's just another sign that
> > Microsoft doesn't know how to properly right software. The proof is in
> > the pudding. If some cheesy third party codec or FX filter can so
> > easily corrupt some core Vista element, then that's proof Vista isn't
> > written very well. Over 50 million lines of code in Vista and it can't
> > protect itself. Priceless!

Sandra W

Re: Windows Photo Gallery Crash
Hi

I am having problems too with the windows photo gallery. I'm not that great
with the computer and worry about fiddling around too much but I'm trying to
find where I put some videos and I can't get into the gallery. Do I have to
restore all factory settings on both general, advcanced and compatability?

"Lon Cook" wrote:

> I am having the same crash of Photo Gallery, and tried the MoveMaker fix of
> resetting the defaults, to no avail. It still crashes, and now do not know
> what else to change. I did the classic rename of the index file, and it was
> recreated.
>
> "Adam Albright" wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:12:05 -0700, JanneM
> > <JanneM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I installed Windows Vista Ultimate yesterday on my new machine and now when I
> > >try to preview one of the sample videos in Photo Gallery, I'll only see a
> > >glimpse of the video, then the program pops up a window saying "Windos Photo
> > >Gallery stopped working" and then shut itself down or sometime just restart.
> > >
> > >What can I do to fix this? How can I reinstall one of the windows components?

> > Something that sometimes works:
> >
> > Open Movie Maker. Tools/options, press the restore defaults button.
> >
> > That should undo what some third party codecs or filters do which
> > often will hang core Microsoft applets. It's just another sign that
> > Microsoft doesn't know how to properly right software. The proof is in
> > the pudding. If some cheesy third party codec or FX filter can so
> > easily corrupt some core Vista element, then that's proof Vista isn't
> > written very well. Over 50 million lines of code in Vista and it can't
> > protect itself. Priceless!

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Photo Gallery Crash

What are the precise details of the crash that you are running according to
the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel?
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#bucket
can help you look that up if you don't know how.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Lon Cook" <Lon Cook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same crash of Photo Gallery, and tried the MoveMaker fix of
> resetting the defaults, to no avail. It still crashes, and now do not
> know
> what else to change. I did the classic rename of the index file, and it
> was
> recreated.
>
> "Adam Albright" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:12:05 -0700, JanneM
>> <JanneM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I installed Windows Vista Ultimate yesterday on my new machine and now
>> >when I
>> >try to preview one of the sample videos in Photo Gallery, I'll only see
>> >glimpse of the video, then the program pops up a window saying "Windos
>> >Photo
>> >Gallery stopped working" and then shut itself down or sometime just
>> >restart.
>> >
>> >What can I do to fix this? How can I reinstall one of the windows
>> >components?

>> Something that sometimes works:
>>
>> Open Movie Maker. Tools/options, press the restore defaults button.
>>
>> That should undo what some third party codecs or filters do which
>> often will hang core Microsoft applets. It's just another sign that
>> Microsoft doesn't know how to properly right software. The proof is in
>> the pudding. If some cheesy third party codec or FX filter can so
>> easily corrupt some core Vista element, then that's proof Vista isn't
>> written very well. Over 50 million lines of code in Vista and it can't
>> protect itself. Priceless!

shorberg@gmail.com

Re: Windows Photo Gallery Crash
It's not a Windows Media Player problem. I don't get a specific error
message. Any video opened in Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Movie Maker,
Windows Live Photo Screensaver, (and maybe some others) crashes the program.
It doesn't shut windows down, all it says is that Windows (Whatever program)
has encountered a fatal error, and shuts the program down. If you right click
a video from within these programs and tell it to run in Windows Media
Player, or if you run it from Windows Media Player it works just fine. Any
ideas?

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> What are the precise details of the crash that you are running according to
> the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel?
> http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#bucket
> can help you look that up if you don't know how.
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> "Lon Cook" <Lon Cook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having the same crash of Photo Gallery, and tried the MoveMaker fix of
> > resetting the defaults, to no avail. It still crashes, and now do not
> > know
> > what else to change. I did the classic rename of the index file, and it
> > was
> > recreated.
> >
> > "Adam Albright" wrote:

> >> Something that sometimes works:
> >>
> >> Open Movie Maker. Tools/options, press the restore defaults button.
> >>
> >> That should undo what some third party codecs or filters do which
> >> often will hang core Microsoft applets. It's just another sign that
> >> Microsoft doesn't know how to properly right software. The proof is in
> >> the pudding. If some cheesy third party codec or FX filter can so
> >> easily corrupt some core Vista element, then that's proof Vista isn't
> >> written very well. Over 50 million lines of code in Vista and it can't
> >> protect itself. Priceless!

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Windows Photo Gallery Crash

Right, my question was application agnostic.

What's the Problem Reports and Solutions data for Photo Gallery or Movie
Maker for those crashes? =)

--
Speaking for myself only.

"shorberg@gmail.com" <shorberggmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in