AVI Not supported in Vista Home Premium.

Rupen

AVI Not supported in Vista Home Premium.
Hi All,

I tried to play .avi files on my VHP Operating system. Error reads as file
type is not supported.

Any idear or free player who can play .avi on WVHP?

Thank you very much.....
Cal Bear '66

Re: AVI Not supported in Vista Home Premium.
Codec problem? You can download a free nifty little utility called GSpot
(Google for it) that will analyze the video and tell you what codec it uses and
if it is installed on your system.

NOTE: Do not install any "Codec Packs" -- they can cause problems that are very
hard to analyze and solve. Only install codecs from the codec manufacturer.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Rupen" <Rupen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I tried to play .avi files on my VHP Operating system. Error reads as file
> type is not supported.
>
> Any idear or free player who can play .avi on WVHP?
>
> Thank you very much.....

Rupen

Re: AVI Not supported in Vista Home Premium.
I may get s/w gspot, but what if it says there is no codecs on my
machine...any idea dear???

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Codec problem? You can download a free nifty little utility called GSpot
> (Google for it) that will analyze the video and tell you what codec it uses and
> if it is installed on your system.
>
> NOTE: Do not install any "Codec Packs" -- they can cause problems that are very
> hard to analyze and solve. Only install codecs from the codec manufacturer.
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Rupen" <Rupen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I tried to play .avi files on my VHP Operating system. Error reads as file
> > type is not supported.
> >
> > Any idear or free player who can play .avi on WVHP?
> >
> > Thank you very much.....

Cal Bear '66

Re: AVI Not supported in Vista Home Premium.
Vista natively comes with many audio and video codecs. Probably the most common
codec that is missing is DivX, which can be downloaded from divx.com.

Download GSpot, analyze the clip, and report back if you cannot find the codec
manufacturer on the net, or if GSpot says that you already have the codec on
your system.

Where did this clip come from (a digital camera, a video camera)?

There is a very good free video player called GOM player (Google) that is Vista
compatible and can easily play .avi files that Windows Media Player has
difficulty playing.

>I may get s/w gspot, but what if it says there is no codecs on my
> machine...any idea dear???
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Codec problem? You can download a free nifty little utility called GSpot
>> (Google for it) that will analyze the video and tell you what codec it uses
>> and
>> if it is installed on your system.
>>
>> NOTE: Do not install any "Codec Packs" -- they can cause problems that are
>> very
>> hard to analyze and solve. Only install codecs from the codec manufacturer.
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Rupen" <Rupen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I tried to play .avi files on my VHP Operating system. Error reads as file
>> > type is not supported.
>> >
>> > Any idear or free player who can play .avi on WVHP?
>> >
>> > Thank you very much.....

Adam Albright

Re: AVI Not supported in Vista Home Premium.
On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 06:20:01 -0700, Rupen
<Rupen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I may get s/w gspot, but what if it says there is no codecs on my
>machine...any idea dear???

Chances are what's pretending to be a AVI files is in reality
something else. That's because AVI is often a wrapper with a different
kind of file type inside. GSpot can show you what this file type is,
often some variant of DivX. That is the path to get files to play.

>"Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Codec problem? You can download a free nifty little utility called GSpot
>> (Google for it) that will analyze the video and tell you what codec it uses and
>> if it is installed on your system.
>>
>> NOTE: Do not install any "Codec Packs" -- they can cause problems that are very
>> hard to analyze and solve. Only install codecs from the codec manufacturer.
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Rupen" <Rupen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I tried to play .avi files on my VHP Operating system. Error reads as file
>> > type is not supported.
>> >
>> > Any idear or free player who can play .avi on WVHP?
>> >
>> > Thank you very much.....

Michael

Re: AVI Not supported in Vista Home Premium.
Rupen,

Checking my system I also found would not play one of my old avi files. From
Gspot it used indeo 3.x.
On my machine the codec actualy existed but was not registered
codec: c:\windows\system32\IR32_32.dll

I manualy registered it with regedit at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Window NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
by adding two lines :

vidc.iv31 = ir32_32.dll
vidc.iv32 = ir32_32.dll

I can now view the files.

Michael
vista home premium

"Rupen" <Rupen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I may get s/w gspot, but what if it says there is no codecs on my
> machine...any idea dear???
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Codec problem? You can download a free nifty little utility called GSpot
>> (Google for it) that will analyze the video and tell you what codec it
>> uses and
>> if it is installed on your system.
>>
>> NOTE: Do not install any "Codec Packs" -- they can cause problems that
>> are very
>> hard to analyze and solve. Only install codecs from the codec
>> manufacturer.
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Rupen" <Rupen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I tried to play .avi files on my VHP Operating system. Error reads as
>> > file
>> > type is not supported.
>> >
>> > Any idear or free player who can play .avi on WVHP?
>> >
>> > Thank you very much.....

Rupen

Re: AVI Not supported in Vista Home Premium.
Hi Michael,

I tried the trick, but result is same, later on get divx after installing it
now i can see .avi file.....whoooo what a relief. But just wondering
....MICROSOFT can make such a big mistake???

Thank you very much for the help....bye..

"Michael" wrote:

> Rupen,
>
> Checking my system I also found would not play one of my old avi files. From
> Gspot it used indeo 3.x.
> On my machine the codec actualy existed but was not registered
> codec: c:\windows\system32\IR32_32.dll
>
> I manualy registered it with regedit at:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Window NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
> by adding two lines :
>
> vidc.iv31 = ir32_32.dll
> vidc.iv32 = ir32_32.dll
>
> I can now view the files.
>
> Michael
> vista home premium
>
> "Rupen" <Rupen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I may get s/w gspot, but what if it says there is no codecs on my
> > machine...any idea dear???
> >
> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> Codec problem? You can download a free nifty little utility called GSpot
> >> (Google for it) that will analyze the video and tell you what codec it
> >> uses and
> >> if it is installed on your system.
> >>
> >> NOTE: Do not install any "Codec Packs" -- they can cause problems that
> >> are very
> >> hard to analyze and solve. Only install codecs from the codec
> >> manufacturer.
> >>

> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

Cal Bear '66

Re: AVI Not supported in Vista Home Premium.
This is NOT a Microsoft problem. Various manufacturers write the codecs that
use the .avi "wrapper". It is the responsibility of those manufacturers to
write Vista compatible codecs and to make them available.

> Hi Michael,
>
> I tried the trick, but result is same, later on get divx after installing it
> now i can see .avi file.....whoooo what a relief. But just wondering
> ...MICROSOFT can make such a big mistake???
>
> Thank you very much for the help....bye..
>
> "Michael" wrote:
>
>> Rupen,
>>
>> Checking my system I also found would not play one of my old avi files. From
>> Gspot it used indeo 3.x.
>> On my machine the codec actualy existed but was not registered
>> codec: c:\windows\system32\IR32_32.dll
>>
>> I manualy registered it with regedit at:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Window NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
>> by adding two lines :
>>
>> vidc.iv31 = ir32_32.dll
>> vidc.iv32 = ir32_32.dll
>>
>> I can now view the files.
>>
>> Michael
>> vista home premium
>>
>> "Rupen" <Rupen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I may get s/w gspot, but what if it says there is no codecs on my
>> > machine...any idea dear???

Rupen

Re: AVI Not supported in Vista Home Premium.
Well, in my case if I am using Windows Media Player, MS is manufacurere
right? if not how come the same file can be played under XP? OR if somebody
else is manufacru then is it mean they all need to work on VISTA Compability
project???

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> This is NOT a Microsoft problem. Various manufacturers write the codecs that
> use the .avi "wrapper". It is the responsibility of those manufacturers to
> write Vista compatible codecs and to make them available.
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Rupen" <Rupen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > I tried the trick, but result is same, later on get divx after installing it
> > now i can see .avi file.....whoooo what a relief. But just wondering
> > ...MICROSOFT can make such a big mistake???
> >
> > Thank you very much for the help....bye..
> >
> > "Michael" wrote:
> >
> >> Rupen,
> >>
> >> Checking my system I also found would not play one of my old avi files. From
> >> Gspot it used indeo 3.x.
> >> On my machine the codec actualy existed but was not registered
> >> codec: c:\windows\system32\IR32_32.dll
> >>
> >> I manualy registered it with regedit at:
> >>
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Window NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
> >> by adding two lines :
> >>
> >> vidc.iv31 = ir32_32.dll
> >> vidc.iv32 = ir32_32.dll
> >>
> >> I can now view the files.
> >>
> >> Michael
> >> vista home premium

Cal Bear '66

Re: AVI Not supported in Vista Home Premium.
What is it that you don't understand?

It is the same thing as device drivers. Manufacturers of devices are
responsible for writing Vista compatible device drivers for their devices to be
useable under Vista. Vista device drivers do not work under XP. XP device
drivers do not work under Vista. AVI is a "wrapper" and many codecs can be
written by third party manufacturers that are AVI compatible. Not all AVIs use
the same codec. It is not Microsoft's responsibility to provide you with every
codec that can use the AVI "wrapper" as it is not Microsoft's responsibility to
provide every possible device driver.

You had devices that worked with XP because manufacturers wrote XP compatible
device drivers. You could play the file under XP because you had an AVI codec
written by a third party manufacturer that was compatible with the AVI "wrapper"
and XP's Windows Media Player.

Get it? Got it? GOOD!