Window Photo Gallery crashes on trying to display AVI file

Jon

Window Photo Gallery crashes on trying to display AVI file
This is a strange one.

- Windows Media Player can play the video without problem.
- Windows Photo Gallery is displaying a preview frame of the video
- I can load explorer, double click on a jpg file in the same folder to
bring up Windows Photo Gallery and then browse to the video using the "next"
button without a problem. The video plays in Windows Photo Gallery
flawlessly.
- However, if I first load Windows Photo Gallery and then try to open the
AVI file, by either double click on it directly or by opening a neighboring
jpg and hitting "next" then Windows Photo Gallery crashes with a DEP error.
WER say a "Stackhash" fault.

I also notice that codec icons that appear in the taskbar when using Windows
Media Player (e.g. ffdshow) do not appear when a video is playing in Windows
Photo Gallery. Does Windows Photo Gallery use Directshow? It does seem to
behave differently to Windows Media Player in a number of ways.

Any help very warmly received!

Jon

Jon

Re: Window Photo Gallery crashes on trying to display AVI file
"Jon" <jong@REMOVETHISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> This is a strange one.
>
> - Windows Media Player can play the video without problem.
> - Windows Photo Gallery is displaying a preview frame of the video
> - I can load explorer, double click on a jpg file in the same folder to
> bring up Windows Photo Gallery and then browse to the video using the
> "next" button without a problem. The video plays in Windows Photo Gallery
> flawlessly.
> - However, if I first load Windows Photo Gallery and then try to open the
> AVI file, by either double click on it directly or by opening a
> neighboring jpg and hitting "next" then Windows Photo Gallery crashes with
> a DEP error. WER say a "Stackhash" fault.
>
> I also notice that codec icons that appear in the taskbar when using
> Windows Media Player (e.g. ffdshow) do not appear when a video is playing
> in Windows Photo Gallery. Does Windows Photo Gallery use Directshow? It
> does seem to behave differently to Windows Media Player in a number of
> ways.
>
> Any help very warmly received!
>
> Jon

For your info the AVI file I am trying to view is a Motion JPEG.

--
Jon