streaming windows media player without downloading

yannick

streaming windows media player without downloading
hi!
well the title is pretty self explanatory....

I was able to stream without problem, then I downloaded a codec pack and
another media player (because wmp could not read avi files) and after thet I
could not read streaming without downloading it first... damn....
I uninstalled everything I installed but unfortunatly, wmp still does not
run streaming videos without donwloading it aaaaarrrg.....

please SOS!
Cal Bear '66

Re: streaming windows media player without downloading
Go to Control Panel (Classic view) > Default Programs > "Set your default
programs" link > highlight Windows Media Player and press the first green arrow
(or choose the bottom green arrow to choose particular associations -- but note
the association at the very bottom of the list).

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"yannick" <yannick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi!
> well the title is pretty self explanatory....
>
> I was able to stream without problem, then I downloaded a codec pack and
> another media player (because wmp could not read avi files) and after thet I
> could not read streaming without downloading it first... damn....
> I uninstalled everything I installed but unfortunatly, wmp still does not
> run streaming videos without donwloading it aaaaarrrg.....
>
> please SOS!

yannick

Re: streaming windows media player without downloading
problem solved!

thanks

go bears indeed!

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Go to Control Panel (Classic view) > Default Programs > "Set your default
> programs" link > highlight Windows Media Player and press the first green arrow
> (or choose the bottom green arrow to choose particular associations -- but note
> the association at the very bottom of the list).
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "yannick" <yannick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi!
> > well the title is pretty self explanatory....
> >
> > I was able to stream without problem, then I downloaded a codec pack and
> > another media player (because wmp could not read avi files) and after thet I
> > could not read streaming without downloading it first... damn....
> > I uninstalled everything I installed but unfortunatly, wmp still does not
> > run streaming videos without donwloading it aaaaarrrg.....
> >
> > please SOS!

Cal Bear '66

Re: streaming windows media player without downloading
You're welcome.

Glad you resolved your problem.

> problem solved!
>
> thanks
>
> go bears indeed!
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Go to Control Panel (Classic view) > Default Programs > "Set your default
>> programs" link > highlight Windows Media Player and press the first green
>> arrow
>> (or choose the bottom green arrow to choose particular associations -- but
>> note
>> the association at the very bottom of the list).
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "yannick" <yannick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > hi!
>> > well the title is pretty self explanatory....
>> >
>> > I was able to stream without problem, then I downloaded a codec pack and
>> > another media player (because wmp could not read avi files) and after thet
>> > could not read streaming without downloading it first... damn....
>> > I uninstalled everything I installed but unfortunatly, wmp still does not
>> > run streaming videos without donwloading it aaaaarrrg.....
>> >
>> > please SOS!

zachd [MSFT]

Re: streaming windows media player without downloading

Also, what other player was on the system that ended up breaking this? It'd
be good if they could fix their code to not do this. =(

--
Speaking for myself only.
"yannick" <yannick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> problem solved!
>
> thanks
>
> go bears indeed!
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Go to Control Panel (Classic view) > Default Programs > "Set your default
>> programs" link > highlight Windows Media Player and press the first green
>> arrow
>> (or choose the bottom green arrow to choose particular associations --
>> but note
>> the association at the very bottom of the list).
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "yannick" <yannick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > hi!
>> > well the title is pretty self explanatory....
>> >
>> > I was able to stream without problem, then I downloaded a codec pack
>> > and
>> > another media player (because wmp could not read avi files) and after
>> > thet I
>> > could not read streaming without downloading it first... damn....
>> > I uninstalled everything I installed but unfortunatly, wmp still does
>> > not
>> > run streaming videos without donwloading it aaaaarrrg.....
>> >
>> > please SOS!

Kcamp

Re: streaming windows media player without downloading

Hello,

I have a similar problem. I was able to stream in Windows Media Player
before I downloaded Winamp.

Now I cannot stream without downloading a mpeg file first.

I changed the defaults to Windows Media Player but I am still being
prompted to download or save. There is a shield symble at the bottom of
the window stating "cannot play video with default setting."

Please help.

KC

--
Kcamp
zachd [MSFT]

Re: streaming windows media player without downloading

That indicates that WinAMP stomped on the association. If you go to the
system's Set Program Access and Defaults control panel and set WMP back as
the default, things should work well again.

(Without seeing your registry, it seems that WinAMP on your system just took
over the local shell association but not the browser/MIME registration.
You'd probably want to mention this to them.)

--
Speaking for myself only.