Music folder is dead-how to repair it

Paul

Music folder is dead-how to repair it
My Start/Music folder is dead. Something I did in reassigning drive letters
(I think) caused this tho the older folders are fine. Music is empty and
right clicking only gives me a Copy, Rename & Properties choice which do
nothing.
I've also tried working with the desktop.ini but not knowing what the hell
I'm doing decided to forget it. What can be done to restore it back to
where it was?
Thanks

dean-dean

Re: Music folder is dead-how to repair it
Look in these keys in the Registry Editor:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

What is the Data for the Name "My Music" (no quotation marks).

The default for the first key should be "C:\Users\(You)\Music" (no quotation
marks).

The default for the second key should be "%USERPROFILE%\Music" (no quotation
marks).

"Paul" <pcostanza@cox.net> wrote in message
> My Start/Music folder is dead. Something I did in reassigning drive
> letters
> (I think) caused this tho the older folders are fine. Music is empty and
> right clicking only gives me a Copy, Rename & Properties choice which do
> nothing.
> I've also tried working with the desktop.ini but not knowing what the hell
> I'm doing decided to forget it. What can be done to restore it back to
> where it was?
> Thanks

Paul

Re: Music folder is dead-how to repair it
Thanks for the info. It looks as though the first key was set to my custom
music folders but the second had an older drive assignment. I set them back
to what you show (the Vista defaults) but still can't do anything with my
folder.
Is there something else I need to do?
Thanks again.

"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Look in these keys in the Registry Editor:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
> Folders
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders
>
> What is the Data for the Name "My Music" (no quotation marks).
>
> The default for the first key should be "C:\Users\(You)\Music" (no
> quotation marks).
>
> The default for the second key should be "%USERPROFILE%\Music" (no
> quotation marks).
>

> "Paul" <pcostanza@cox.net> wrote in message
>> My Start/Music folder is dead. Something I did in reassigning drive
>> letters
>> (I think) caused this tho the older folders are fine. Music is empty and
>> right clicking only gives me a Copy, Rename & Properties choice which do
>> nothing.
>> I've also tried working with the desktop.ini but not knowing what the
>> hell
>> I'm doing decided to forget it. What can be done to restore it back to
>> where it was?
>> Thanks

Cal Bear '66

Re: Music folder is dead-how to repair it
What happens when you type shell:my music in the Start Search box above the
Start Orb and press Enter?

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

> Thanks for the info. It looks as though the first key was set to my custom
> music folders but the second had an older drive assignment. I set them back
> to what you show (the Vista defaults) but still can't do anything with my
> folder.
> Is there something else I need to do?
> Thanks again.
>
> "dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Look in these keys in the Registry Editor:
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
>> Folders
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User
>> Shell Folders
>>
>> What is the Data for the Name "My Music" (no quotation marks).
>>
>> The default for the first key should be "C:\Users\(You)\Music" (no quotation
>> marks).
>>
>> The default for the second key should be "%USERPROFILE%\Music" (no quotation
>> marks).
>>

>> "Paul" <pcostanza@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> My Start/Music folder is dead. Something I did in reassigning drive letters
>>> (I think) caused this tho the older folders are fine. Music is empty and
>>> right clicking only gives me a Copy, Rename & Properties choice which do
>>> nothing.
>>> I've also tried working with the desktop.ini but not knowing what the hell
>>> I'm doing decided to forget it. What can be done to restore it back to
>>> where it was?
>>> Thanks

Paul

Re: Music folder is dead-how to repair it
Well I figured out how to fix it after spending too much time on something
that's really not that important.
I created a new user, set Vista to allow viewing of hidden files and copied
the desktop.ini from the new user/music folder into my music folder.
Rebooted and it was back to default. Then I just moved the location of
where my music folder is (another drive/partition).
Thanks for all the help.