dvd recorder required

Reece

dvd recorder required
i have a sony dvd rw aw-g170a burner which works with all my other software
but when i use windows media centre on vista home premium i can play dvds but
if i try to burn one i just get a message cd/dvd recorder required does
anyone know how to slove this problem
--
Reece
Cal Bear '66

Re: dvd recorder required
Check the Sony site to see if a firmware update is available. I had the same
problem with an older DVD writer which was solved by a firmware update.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Reece" <Reece@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have a sony dvd rw aw-g170a burner which works with all my other software
> but when i use windows media centre on vista home premium i can play dvds but
> if i try to burn one i just get a message cd/dvd recorder required does
> anyone know how to slove this problem
> --
> Reece

Reece

Re: dvd recorder required
thanks for the suggestion cal i downloaded the firmware update from sony but
it fails everytime i try to use it
--
Reece

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Check the Sony site to see if a firmware update is available. I had the same
> problem with an older DVD writer which was solved by a firmware update.
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Reece" <Reece@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i have a sony dvd rw aw-g170a burner which works with all my other software
> > but when i use windows media centre on vista home premium i can play dvds but
> > if i try to burn one i just get a message cd/dvd recorder required does
> > anyone know how to slove this problem
> > --
> > Reece

Cal Bear '66

Re: dvd recorder required
How does it fail? What are the complete error messages?

Did you read ALL the instructions for the update and follow them to the letter?

Is the firmware update you downloaded for your EXACT model number DVD writer?

> thanks for the suggestion cal i downloaded the firmware update from sony but
> it fails everytime i try to use it
> --
> Reece
>

> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Check the Sony site to see if a firmware update is available. I had the same
>> problem with an older DVD writer which was solved by a firmware update.
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Reece" <Reece@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i have a sony dvd rw aw-g170a burner which works with all my other software
>> > but when i use windows media centre on vista home premium i can play dvds
>> > but
>> > if i try to burn one i just get a message cd/dvd recorder required does
>> > anyone know how to slove this problem
>> > --
>> > Reece

Reece

Re: dvd recorder required
The error message is flash failed and unfortunately i didn't read the
instructions because they are not avaliable from sony. When i run the
download the screen that opens has two buttons which are flash and cancel i
assumed that you hit the flash button. The download is model specific and the
only one there, I currently have version 1.71 and the update is 1.73
--
Reece

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> How does it fail? What are the complete error messages?
>
> Did you read ALL the instructions for the update and follow them to the letter?
>
> Is the firmware update you downloaded for your EXACT model number DVD writer?
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Reece" <Reece@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > thanks for the suggestion cal i downloaded the firmware update from sony but
> > it fails everytime i try to use it
> > --
> > Reece
> >

> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> Check the Sony site to see if a firmware update is available. I had the same
> >> problem with an older DVD writer which was solved by a firmware update.
> >>

> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!

Cal Bear '66

Re: dvd recorder required
I would search the Sony site in general for instructions for doing a firmware
update. With my LG it required that the update be done from a bootable disk and
that the drive be set as master on the secondary IDE channel -- these are not
instructions for you to follow, merely an example of specific conditions that
must be followed for a firmware update for a specific drive.

I'm sure there must be instructions on the Sony site, on the net (use Google),
or you can try an e-mail or telephone request.

> The error message is flash failed and unfortunately i didn't read the
> instructions because they are not avaliable from sony. When i run the
> download the screen that opens has two buttons which are flash and cancel i
> assumed that you hit the flash button. The download is model specific and the
> only one there, I currently have version 1.71 and the update is 1.73
> --
> Reece
>

> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> How does it fail? What are the complete error messages?
>>
>> Did you read ALL the instructions for the update and follow them to the
>> letter?
>>
>> Is the firmware update you downloaded for your EXACT model number DVD writer?
>>

>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Reece" <Reece@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > thanks for the suggestion cal i downloaded the firmware update from sony
>> > but
>> > it fails everytime i try to use it
>> > --
>> > Reece

Reece

Re: dvd recorder required
I searched the site and nothing so i contacted sony about the firmware update
and after being sent around about 10 different departments they told me that
the instructions were not avaliable anymore as it is a discontinued model. I
also checked the microsoft site for any updates for media centre or drivers,
as after more research it seems that many people are experiencing the same or
similar problems with vista, but no luck there either. So i have given up and
bought a new samsung lightscribe drive with nero 7 software both of which
took about five minutes to install and worked straight away

Thanks for the help anyway
--
Reece