MPEG's

bsbm525

MPEG's
Hello,

Whenever I try to view an MPEG from the web I get a popup asking me to save
the file instead of just opening and playing the clip automatically like with
Windows XP.
How can I change this?
Thanks....

DarkRose

Re: MPEG's

I have the same problem, Media Player 11 is listed as the default player
for all video types except quicktime formats, but I can only watch .wmv
files from the web, when I try to view .mpg, .mpeg, or .avi files, it
wants me to save instead of just opening, Media Player 11 on my XP
32-bit machine streams them just fine, what do I need to change?

--
DarkRose
zachd [MSFT]

Re: MPEG's

This means the association chain is broken. What third party player did you
install?

Does going to the system's Default Programs control panels and using Set
Program Default there fix this up?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"bsbm525" <bsbm525@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Whenever I try to view an MPEG from the web I get a popup asking me to
> save
> the file instead of just opening and playing the clip automatically like
> with
> Windows XP.
> How can I change this?
> Thanks....

DarkRose

Re: MPEG's

--
DarkRose
zachd [MSFT]

Re: MPEG's

What's the value for:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mpeg
What are the values under:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MPEGFile
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WMP11.AssocFile.MPEG
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\video/mpeg
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{CD3AFA89-B84F-48F0-9393-7EDC34128127}\ProgID

Those are the key elements of the association chain for Windows Media
Player.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"DarkRose" <DarkRose.2x7vj3@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
newsarkRose.2x7vj3@no-mx.forums.net...

> 'zachd [MSFT Wrote:
>> ;457351']This means the association chain is broken. What third party
>> player did you
>> install?
>>
>> Does going to the system's Default Programs control panels and using
>> Set
>> Program Default there fix this up?
>>

>> This didn't work for me, Windows Media Player is the default player for
>> .mpg, .mpeg, and .avi, but still wants to download/save them first. The
>> only other players I have are Quicktime and PowerDVD 6.0. The Set
>> Program Default was tryed after these were both installed.

> --
> DarkRose

DarkRose

Re: MPEG's

I got mine to work finally. What ended up working was that I went into
the default program menus and set a different program as default
(powerDVD i think), then set it as the default program for .avi, .mpg,
and .mpeg. Then I saved those settings and rebooted the system. On
reboot, I went in and reset Windows Media Player as the default player,
and reset it as the default for.avi, .mpg, and .mpeg, then saved these
settings and rebooted again. After the reboot it worked fine.
I don't know why I had to change the settings to something else, and
then back again, because the settings I ended up with were the excact
same as I started with, but I guess whatever needed reset got reset.
Thanks for the help though!

--
DarkRose