AVI and my webcam???

Beejaysoo

AVI and my webcam???

My new computer has a built in webcam which I used to make a short 90 sec
video. The video appears to be very poor quality. The video clip is in an
..AVI format....I don't know what that is??? And, the file size is 377 MB
....ie. too large to do anything with???

I don't understand why the quality is so bad and why the file size is so
large. Being a little built-in webcam I didn't expect much but if the file
is going to be so large shouldn't the video be of better quality? There
doesn't seem to be an option to employ some other format or compression?

Could someone please try talking me through what I am dealing with here.
Thanks!

bj

Cal Bear '66

Re: AVI and my webcam???
You really need to specify your exact computer model, the model of the web cam
and what application you are using to capture the video in order for someone to
help you.

There are hundreds of computers/webcams and many webcam applications.

Also, have you checked your computer manufacturer for any Vista
driver/application updates. Just because your computer may be new does not mean
that it has all the latest updates.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Beejaysoo" <beejaysoo@telphone.net> wrote in message

> My new computer has a built in webcam which I used to make a short 90 sec
> video. The video appears to be very poor quality. The video clip is in an
> .AVI format....I don't know what that is??? And, the file size is 377 MB
> ...ie. too large to do anything with???
>
> I don't understand why the quality is so bad and why the file size is so
> large. Being a little built-in webcam I didn't expect much but if the file is
> going to be so large shouldn't the video be of better quality? There doesn't
> seem to be an option to employ some other format or compression?
>
> Could someone please try talking me through what I am dealing with here.
> Thanks!
>
> bj

Beejaysoo

Re: AVI and my webcam???
My computer is a Toshiba Satellite P200 core 2 duo cpu running Vista Home
Premium. The webcam is built-in, 1.3M (megapixels) and running "Camera
Assistant Software". I can't find any other camera info.

I just find it strange that a simple little 90 second video would produce
such a large, 377 MB file. I thought the webcam was to capture and send
photos or video via email which is near impossible with such a large file???

Thanks,

bj

"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
> You really need to specify your exact computer model, the model of the web
> cam and what application you are using to capture the video in order for
> someone to help you.
>
> There are hundreds of computers/webcams and many webcam applications.
>
> Also, have you checked your computer manufacturer for any Vista
> driver/application updates. Just because your computer may be new does
> not mean that it has all the latest updates.
>

> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Beejaysoo" <beejaysoo@telphone.net> wrote in message
>>

>> My new computer has a built in webcam which I used to make a short 90 sec
>> video. The video appears to be very poor quality. The video clip is in
>> an .AVI format....I don't know what that is??? And, the file size is 377
>> MB ...ie. too large to do anything with???
>>
>> I don't understand why the quality is so bad and why the file size is so
>> large. Being a little built-in webcam I didn't expect much but if the
>> file is going to be so large shouldn't the video be of better quality?
>> There doesn't seem to be an option to employ some other format or
>> compression?
>>
>> Could someone please try talking me through what I am dealing with here.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> bj

Beejaysoo

Re: AVI and my webcam???