Tried to format CD-RW....failed

Mark NYC

Tried to format CD-RW....failed
followed the auto play instructions (on two different computers---both
vista---and with three different types of discs).

Can Visat not format CD-RW? It attempts the 15 minute format (Live option)
but then says it can't format the disc.

Is there a download to fix this?

thanks

tsberry is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Error message when you format a disc by using the Live File System component on a Windows Vista-based computer: "Windows was unable to complete the format"
Yes-Check out Microsoft's hotfix for exactly this problem.

rjpbobp is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same problem w Vista Ultimate - windows unable to complete format - on cd & dvd for data. Have installed the hot fix and nothing changed.

Any other ideas?

thanx

Bob

tsberry is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What recent changes have you made to your system? (other than the specific hotfix for this situation)
Do you have more than one DVD/CD drive on your system?
Are you positive the inserted media is compatible with the drive? (ie: R+ media on -R drive, etc)
Have you tried using different media brand?
Can you write to any CDR? (not CDRW)
What does the event log say?
Try using different software for the format.
Your first challenge will be to determine whether it's a hardware or software problem.

rjpbobp is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsberry View Post
What recent changes have you made to your system? (other than the specific hotfix for this situation) - none
Do you have more than one DVD/CD drive on your system? - no
Are you positive the inserted media is compatible with the drive? (ie: R+ media on -R drive, etc) - the same cds and drive burn music fine
Have you tried using different media brand? - yes, no difference
Can you write to any CDR? (not CDRW) - music only (using Windows Media Player)
What does the event log say? - oops, have not checked it when trying to format
Try using different software for the format. - Have heard (thru blogs)that Nero & Roxio are problematic in Vista, so have not tried
Your first challenge will be to determine whether it's a hardware or software problem.

tsberry is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't help you with the MS software until I know what the event log says. I would, however, try using either Nero or Roxio (use the latest versions). The problems with the above software is that they are not compatible with each other. I'd use Nero because Roxio has a history of not uninstalling properly unless you download their utility from their web site. (Just download the free demo and see if it works.)

As it appears that your problem is software related, I can tell you that most similar problems are caused by conflicting software. (Usually disk related, such as virtual drive software, etc.) If you suspect that is the problem, then run the System File Checker Utility on your system to see if third party software may have overwritten one of your system files.

If you're curious as to which files are involved, you can use a utility such as "Process Monitor" from MS (SysInternals). It is, however, a little complicated to use if one is not familiar with the operating system.

You didn't mention which version of Vista you were using and whether it was 32 or 64 bit. I assume you downloaded the correct version from Microsoft (directly-not from a friend) as they have several versions of the hotfix.

Last edited by tsberry : 04-21-2008 at 16:00.