Making Windows Media Player Universal

Starborder60

Making Windows Media Player Universal
I downloaded RealPlayer which took over as the main player. I just deleted
it from the drive and now my media player won't stream my online vids
anymore. How do I reset it to play them without having to download the vids
first. I didn't have to before I downloaded RealPlayer.
dean-dean

Re: Making Windows Media Player Universal
Try this. Right-click Command Prompt (using the shortcut in Start
Menu\Programs\Accessories), choose Run as Administrator. Type the
following, pressing Enter after each entry:

regsvr32 wmp.dll

regsvr32 wmpdxm.dll

Also check in Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your Default Programs,
and make sure Windows Media Player has its defaults when you click on
"Choose defaults for this program."

Then try a site that uses the embedded WMP.

"Starborder60" <Starborder60@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded RealPlayer which took over as the main player. I just deleted
> it from the drive and now my media player won't stream my online vids
> anymore. How do I reset it to play them without having to download the
> vids
> first. I didn't have to before I downloaded RealPlayer.

Starborder60

Re: Making Windows Media Player Universal
Thank you so much Dean! It worked fine for me!

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Try this. Right-click Command Prompt (using the shortcut in Start
> Menu\Programs\Accessories), choose Run as Administrator. Type the
> following, pressing Enter after each entry:
>
> regsvr32 wmp.dll
>
> regsvr32 wmpdxm.dll
>
> Also check in Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your Default Programs,
> and make sure Windows Media Player has its defaults when you click on
> "Choose defaults for this program."
>
> Then try a site that uses the embedded WMP.
>
> "Starborder60" <Starborder60@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I downloaded RealPlayer which took over as the main player. I just deleted
> > it from the drive and now my media player won't stream my online vids
> > anymore. How do I reset it to play them without having to download the
> > vids
> > first. I didn't have to before I downloaded RealPlayer.

dean-dean

Re: Making Windows Media Player Universal
Glad to hear things are working! Thanks for reporting back.

"Starborder60" <Starborder60@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news411DA01-84D4-4607-82C0-798DB454B7E9@microsoft.com...
> Thank you so much Dean! It worked fine for me!
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Try this. Right-click Command Prompt (using the shortcut in Start
>> Menu\Programs\Accessories), choose Run as Administrator. Type the
>> following, pressing Enter after each entry:
>>
>> regsvr32 wmp.dll
>>
>> regsvr32 wmpdxm.dll
>>
>> Also check in Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your Default
>> Programs,
>> and make sure Windows Media Player has its defaults when you click on
>> "Choose defaults for this program."
>>
>> Then try a site that uses the embedded WMP.
>>
>> "Starborder60" <Starborder60@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I downloaded RealPlayer which took over as the main player. I just
>> >deleted
>> > it from the drive and now my media player won't stream my online vids
>> > anymore. How do I reset it to play them without having to download the
>> > vids
>> > first. I didn't have to before I downloaded RealPlayer.

a.j.

Re: Making Windows Media Player Universal
dean-dean what exactly does this do? You gave him the same response word for
word, but they are 2 totally different problems...forgive me for being leery!
Will this harm my computer in any way? If you would not mind, how did you
find this out? As I have been on the phone with HP support for HOURS trying
to fix my problem, and if this truly will fix my problem, I will give it a
try! Hit me back, please

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Glad to hear things are working! Thanks for reporting back.
>
> "Starborder60" <Starborder60@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news411DA01-84D4-4607-82C0-798DB454B7E9@microsoft.com...
> > Thank you so much Dean! It worked fine for me!
> >
> > "dean-dean" wrote:
> >
> >> Try this. Right-click Command Prompt (using the shortcut in Start
> >> Menu\Programs\Accessories), choose Run as Administrator. Type the
> >> following, pressing Enter after each entry:
> >>
> >> regsvr32 wmp.dll
> >>
> >> regsvr32 wmpdxm.dll
> >>
> >> Also check in Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your Default
> >> Programs,
> >> and make sure Windows Media Player has its defaults when you click on
> >> "Choose defaults for this program."
> >>
> >> Then try a site that uses the embedded WMP.

dean-dean

Re: Making Windows Media Player Universal
Note that my response was to a poster who stated this:

> P.S. has previously been able to stream videos, might have made chances in
> the set-up of the WMP

Well, registering Windows system files won't hurt anything. It's when they
become unregistered, by 3rd party programs usually, that things don't work
as they should. I figured it out what files should be in play, I guess, by
looking at what files IE was using when running WMP embedded. In Manage
Add-ons, the files wmp.dll and wmpdxm.dll are the files it lists as the
ActiveX controls for WMP.

Specifically, the videos at http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?f=msnhome...this
uses wmp.dll.

As to whether registering these file will truly fix your problem, I don't
know. Normally, they should be registered. But "re-registering" them is
worth a try. It would as least rule out missing, or changed, registry
entries as a possible cause to your problem...

"a.j." <aj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> dean-dean what exactly does this do? You gave him the same response word
> for
> word, but they are 2 totally different problems...forgive me for being
> leery!
> Will this harm my computer in any way? If you would not mind, how did you
> find this out? As I have been on the phone with HP support for HOURS
> trying
> to fix my problem, and if this truly will fix my problem, I will give it a
> try! Hit me back, please
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Glad to hear things are working! Thanks for reporting back.
>>
>> "Starborder60" <Starborder60@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news411DA01-84D4-4607-82C0-798DB454B7E9@microsoft.com...
>> > Thank you so much Dean! It worked fine for me!

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Making Windows Media Player Universal

The reregistration here does hurt things as it's overwriting Vista settings
with XP settings. It's an OK last ditch solution, but generally it should
not be a favored solution method. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.

"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Note that my response was to a poster who stated this:
>
>> P.S. has previously been able to stream videos, might have made chances
>> in
>> the set-up of the WMP

> Well, registering Windows system files won't hurt anything. It's when
> they
> become unregistered, by 3rd party programs usually, that things don't work
> as they should. I figured it out what files should be in play, I guess,
> by
> looking at what files IE was using when running WMP embedded. In Manage
> Add-ons, the files wmp.dll and wmpdxm.dll are the files it lists as the
> ActiveX controls for WMP.
>
> Specifically, the videos at
> http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?f=msnhome...this
> uses wmp.dll.
>
> As to whether registering these file will truly fix your problem, I don't
> know. Normally, they should be registered. But "re-registering" them is
> worth a try. It would as least rule out missing, or changed, registry
> entries as a possible cause to your problem...
>
> "a.j." <aj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> dean-dean what exactly does this do? You gave him the same response word
>> for
>> word, but they are 2 totally different problems...forgive me for being
>> leery!
>> Will this harm my computer in any way? If you would not mind, how did you
>> find this out? As I have been on the phone with HP support for HOURS
>> trying
>> to fix my problem, and if this truly will fix my problem, I will give it
>> try! Hit me back, please
>>
>> "dean-dean" wrote:
>>
>>> Glad to hear things are working! Thanks for reporting back.
>>>
>>> "Starborder60" <Starborder60@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news411DA01-84D4-4607-82C0-798DB454B7E9@microsoft.com...

thomasr1950

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Glad to hear things are working! Thanks for reporting back.
>
> "Starborder60" <Starborder60@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news411DA01-84D4-4607-82C0-798DB454B7E9@microsoft.com...
> > Thank you so much Dean! It worked fine for me!
> >
> > "dean-dean" wrote:
> >
> >> Try this. Right-click Command Prompt (using the shortcut in Start
> >> Menu\Programs\Accessories), choose Run as Administrator. Type the
> >> following, pressing Enter after each entry:
> >>
> >> regsvr32 wmp.dll
> >>
> >> regsvr32 wmpdxm.dll
> >>
> >> Also check in Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your Default
> >> Programs,
> >> and make sure Windows Media Player has its defaults when you click on
> >> "Choose defaults for this program."
> >>
> >> Then try a site that uses the embedded WMP.

thomasr1950

Re: Making Windows Media Player Universal
I tried setting the default settings, it didn't work. This is a new Gateway
using Vista & Media Player 11. I did not install a new media player. This is
audio as well as video on line, dsl, on a network. It plays downloaded music
just fine.
--
thomasr