video files to large!!

flyfisher

video files to large!!
I have a new comp. with a IEEE video port. Video's i'm downloading to my
computer with windows movie maker are way too large. I mean 10 mb in 10
seconds. On my old comp. with xp and an installed IEEE card i had no problem
dialing down the resolution so i could make a 2 or 3 minute video under 10
mb. I've tried all three different formats offered and they are all to big. I
wonder if there is a difference between my old IEEE card and the factory
port(IEEE) in my new computer.
Adam Albright

Re: video files to large!!
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 17:58:01 -0700, flyfisher
<flyfisher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a new comp. with a IEEE video port. Video's i'm downloading to my
>computer with windows movie maker are way too large. I mean 10 mb in 10
>seconds. On my old comp. with xp and an installed IEEE card i had no problem
>dialing down the resolution so i could make a 2 or 3 minute video under 10
>mb. I've tried all three different formats offered and they are all to big. I
>wonder if there is a difference between my old IEEE card and the factory
>port(IEEE) in my new computer.

You're mixing apples and oranges. Resolution has no meaning in video.
Everything is bitrate. The higher the bitrate the large the files will
be. What is offered by what? All any real IEEE card does is move a
file from point A to point B. Everything else is irrelevant.

What are you trying to do? If bring a video into Movie Maker just
import it, then drop it on the timeline, do your editing, then when
you're ready to public THAT is the time to change bitrate, and set
frame size (what you call resolution) and the file can then be made
much smaller.

flyfisher

Re: video files to large!!

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 17:58:01 -0700, flyfisher
> <flyfisher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a new comp. with a IEEE video port. Video's i'm downloading to my
> >computer with windows movie maker are way too large. I mean 10 mb in 10
> >seconds. On my old comp. with xp and an installed IEEE card i had no problem
> >dialing down the resolution so i could make a 2 or 3 minute video under 10
> >mb. I've tried all three different formats offered and they are all to big. I
> >wonder if there is a difference between my old IEEE card and the factory
> >port(IEEE) in my new computer.

> You're mixing apples and oranges. Resolution has no meaning in video.
> Everything is bitrate. The higher the bitrate the large the files will
> be. What is offered by what? All any real IEEE card does is move a
> file from point A to point B. Everything else is irrelevant.
>
> What are you trying to do? If bring a video into Movie Maker just
> import it, then drop it on the timeline, do your editing, then when
> you're ready to public THAT is the time to change bitrate, and set
> frame size (what you call resolution) and the file can then be made
> much smaller.
>
> I'm just trying to make a smaller video clip to e-mail, how do you change the bitrate and frame size, and what do you mean by going public?

Adam Albright

Re: video files to large!!
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 06:06:04 -0700, flyfisher
<flyfisher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Adam Albright" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 17:58:01 -0700, flyfisher
>> <flyfisher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a new comp. with a IEEE video port. Video's i'm downloading to my
>> >computer with windows movie maker are way too large. I mean 10 mb in 10
>> >seconds. On my old comp. with xp and an installed IEEE card i had no problem
>> >dialing down the resolution so i could make a 2 or 3 minute video under 10
>> >mb. I've tried all three different formats offered and they are all to big. I
>> >wonder if there is a difference between my old IEEE card and the factory
>> >port(IEEE) in my new computer.

>> You're mixing apples and oranges. Resolution has no meaning in video.
>> Everything is bitrate. The higher the bitrate the large the files will
>> be. What is offered by what? All any real IEEE card does is move a
>> file from point A to point B. Everything else is irrelevant.
>>
>> What are you trying to do? If bring a video into Movie Maker just
>> import it, then drop it on the timeline, do your editing, then when
>> you're ready to public THAT is the time to change bitrate, and set
>> frame size (what you call resolution) and the file can then be made
>> much smaller.
>>
>> I'm just trying to make a smaller video clip to e-mail, how do you change the bitrate and frame size, and what do you mean by going public?

Oops...me bad, that was a typo. I meant when you are ready to
'publish' your project is the time to set bitrate.

For example:

Once you are done editing, adding transitions, effects, etc., click on
the publish movie button. Select 'save to this computer', not the
email option, that doesn't have as many options.

Give your project a name and set WHERE you want to save it on your
system in the space provided. Click the next button.

In the next screen either select the 'compress to' option and provide
some literal KB value or click on 'more settings'. I would suggest the
more settings button. Notice the details that show frame size, bitrate
at the bottom of this window which should change based on whatever
setting you select. Then finally press the publish button and you
"big" file will be reduced accordingly.

Now once it is done getting published. Test run it. Then finally open
your email client and "attach" the movie you just made.

for email, if you're project isn't too large I would suggest the 1
mbps choice which will make a WMV file. The quality will still be
relatively high but the resulting file size will be much smaller than
the incoming DV AVI file you probably started with if your source file
came from a typical video camera.

flyfisher

Re: video files to large!!