Windows Media Center with no Internet Connection

tito

Windows Media Center with no Internet Connection
I just bought a new PC with Vista Premium. As I was setting my Windows Media
Center to be able to view Off-the-Air HD local channels, I recieved an error
in downloading the tv schedule from the internet. Well, I don't have internet
access at home and was wondering how I can view free local HD channels
without going thru the internet download? I have a ASTC video card and a HD
antenna attached to it.
Buellpilot

Re: Windows Media Center with no Internet Connection
Hmmm media center relies heavily on an Internet connection on
an ongoing basis as it downloads the tv guide from the internet every
day.

You could also take your pc to someone who does have an internet connection
and get it setup.

Yout guide data will then dissapear after a couple of weeks, but you will
still be
able to change channels.

Or you could setup a free dialup modem type connection which will be enough
to get you up an running and you could use it to download guide data
once a week.

"tito" <tito@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a new PC with Vista Premium. As I was setting my Windows
>Media
> Center to be able to view Off-the-Air HD local channels, I recieved an
> error
> in downloading the tv schedule from the internet. Well, I don't have
> internet
> access at home and was wondering how I can view free local HD channels
> without going thru the internet download? I have a ASTC video card and a
> HD
> antenna attached to it.

Tulsaboyw is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go for it
For me ..if I dont have broadband access at home I probably wouldnt bother owning a pc. I stopped doing dialup 12+ years ago and have no intention of ever wasting my time with dialup.

Especially in use of Media Center. But if You can get the OTA channels without internet go for it... like the guy said you might initially need to go internet to get setup... but once done, be ok..

If you are going to do that, I would also go ahead and make that pc a dedicated media center.

I relize I have a problem visualizing why bother if not connected.. But thats because I am 100% used to using the internet for my finances, bills, etc..

And likely wouldnt even bother with computers if I didnt have the connection.