Why is my Video Quality poor?

Bobafett

Why is my Video Quality poor?
I recently got Vista and my Video quality is very poor and when i was using
XP it looked great, can anyone tell me whats going on?

Here is a pic of what my video is looking like on Vista:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0914033814.jpg
JW

Re: Why is my Video Quality poor?
Did you upgrade your existing XP computer to Vista or did you buy a new
system?
If you bought a new system what graphics card do you have and what
make/model of display are you using over what interface.
From you pic it appears that you are now using a high resolution monitor
with a low resolution input

"JW" wrote:

> Did you upgrade your existing XP computer to Vista or did you buy a new
> system?
> If you bought a new system what graphics card do you have and what
> make/model of display are you using over what interface.
> From you pic it appears that you are now using a high resolution monitor
> with a low resolution input
>
> "Bobafett" <Bobafett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently got Vista and my Video quality is very poor and when i was using
> > XP it looked great, can anyone tell me whats going on?
> >
> > Here is a pic of what my video is looking like on Vista:
> > http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0914033814.jpg

I did not buy a new system, this is a system I custom built that previously
had XP on it, when I installed Vista I did a Clean install (It also made a
windows.old folder with XP inside) and I havent upgraded any of the hardware
in months, but the Video card is a PCI Express 16x ATI Radeon X800 GTO with
256mb, I had a feeling it might be something with the video card or the video
drivers but I am not sure, If i must I will put XP back on because Im an Avid
Video Watcher and I like my video to look prestine =p. As Always any help is
appreciated.

dean-dean

Re: Why is my Video Quality poor?
Download and install the ATI Catalyst 7.9 Drivers appropriate to your OS
(Vista 64-bit or Vista 32-bit):

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

> "JW" wrote:
>
>> Did you upgrade your existing XP computer to Vista or did you buy a new
>> system?
>> If you bought a new system what graphics card do you have and what
>> make/model of display are you using over what interface.
>> From you pic it appears that you are now using a high resolution monitor
>> with a low resolution input
>>
>> "Bobafett" <Bobafett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently got Vista and my Video quality is very poor and when i was
>> >using
>> > XP it looked great, can anyone tell me whats going on?
>> >
>> > Here is a pic of what my video is looking like on Vista:
>> > http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0914033814.jpg

> I did not buy a new system, this is a system I custom built that
> previously
> had XP on it, when I installed Vista I did a Clean install (It also made a
> windows.old folder with XP inside) and I havent upgraded any of the
> hardware
> in months, but the Video card is a PCI Express 16x ATI Radeon X800 GTO
> with
> 256mb, I had a feeling it might be something with the video card or the
> video
> drivers but I am not sure, If i must I will put XP back on because Im an
> Avid
> Video Watcher and I like my video to look prestine =p. As Always any help
> is
> appreciated.

JW

Re: Why is my Video Quality poor?
Is there any possibility that you are running your display at a higher
resolution under Vista then you did under XP?
What DVD decoder where you using under XP?
If you play a recorded TV program using Media Player instead of MC is your
picture quality better?

"Bobafett" <Bobafett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "JW" wrote:
>
>> Did you upgrade your existing XP computer to Vista or did you buy a new
>> system?
>> If you bought a new system what graphics card do you have and what
>> make/model of display are you using over what interface.
>> From you pic it appears that you are now using a high resolution monitor
>> with a low resolution input
>>
>> "Bobafett" <Bobafett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently got Vista and my Video quality is very poor and when i was
>> >using
>> > XP it looked great, can anyone tell me whats going on?
>> >
>> > Here is a pic of what my video is looking like on Vista:
>> > http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0914033814.jpg

> I did not buy a new system, this is a system I custom built that
> previously
> had XP on it, when I installed Vista I did a Clean install (It also made a
> windows.old folder with XP inside) and I havent upgraded any of the
> hardware
> in months, but the Video card is a PCI Express 16x ATI Radeon X800 GTO
> with
> 256mb, I had a feeling it might be something with the video card or the
> video
> drivers but I am not sure, If i must I will put XP back on because Im an
> Avid
> Video Watcher and I like my video to look prestine =p. As Always any help
> is
> appreciated.

Adam Albright

Re: Why is my Video Quality poor?
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 06:36:02 -0700, Bobafett
<Bobafett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"JW" wrote:
>
>> Did you upgrade your existing XP computer to Vista or did you buy a new
>> system?
>> If you bought a new system what graphics card do you have and what
>> make/model of display are you using over what interface.
>> From you pic it appears that you are now using a high resolution monitor
>> with a low resolution input
>>
>> "Bobafett" <Bobafett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently got Vista and my Video quality is very poor and when i was using
>> > XP it looked great, can anyone tell me whats going on?
>> >
>> > Here is a pic of what my video is looking like on Vista:
>> > http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0914033814.jpg

>I did not buy a new system, this is a system I custom built that previously
>had XP on it, when I installed Vista I did a Clean install (It also made a
>windows.old folder with XP inside) and I havent upgraded any of the hardware
>in months, but the Video card is a PCI Express 16x ATI Radeon X800 GTO with
>256mb, I had a feeling it might be something with the video card or the video
>drivers but I am not sure, If i must I will put XP back on because Im an Avid
>Video Watcher and I like my video to look prestine =p. As Always any help is
>appreciated.

Vista must absolutely have "Vista" drivers to function well. Period.
If you present video card doesn't have an upgrade where it offers
Vista capable drivers I strongly suggest you update the video card. If
or not that is the source of your video problem nobody can say since
you really didn't given an specifics. My advice is a starting point.

Bobafett

Re: Why is my Video Quality poor?
Im am running the same resolution as I did on XP (1024x1080 LCD) as for the
DVD Decoder I am not sure, it might of been from Nero when I had it on XP (id
have to check) and I have run video through dozens of players and get the
same results. I have a feeling I might know what it is but Im not 100% for
sure as of yet, before I installed a certain program whenever I ran an AVS
Script (Video Editing Script for those who do not know) it asked about a
missing .dll file, Im not sure if this is the problem but if I cant fix this
quickly I might have to go back to XP, which after Using Vista would really
suck.

"JW" wrote:

> Is there any possibility that you are running your display at a higher
> resolution under Vista then you did under XP?
> What DVD decoder where you using under XP?
> If you play a recorded TV program using Media Player instead of MC is your
> picture quality better?
>
> "Bobafett" <Bobafett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "JW" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you upgrade your existing XP computer to Vista or did you buy a new
> >> system?
> >> If you bought a new system what graphics card do you have and what
> >> make/model of display are you using over what interface.
> >> From you pic it appears that you are now using a high resolution monitor
> >> with a low resolution input
> >>
> >> "Bobafett" <Bobafett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > I did not buy a new system, this is a system I custom built that
> > previously
> > had XP on it, when I installed Vista I did a Clean install (It also made a
> > windows.old folder with XP inside) and I havent upgraded any of the
> > hardware
> > in months, but the Video card is a PCI Express 16x ATI Radeon X800 GTO
> > with
> > 256mb, I had a feeling it might be something with the video card or the
> > video
> > drivers but I am not sure, If i must I will put XP back on because Im an
> > Avid
> > Video Watcher and I like my video to look prestine =p. As Always any help
> > is
> > appreciated.

Bobafett

Re: Why is my Video Quality poor?
Adam I did install Vista Video Drivers as soon as I installed Vista and the
drivers where what I thought did it at first but then I realized it was
Highly Doubtful, because a while back I tried Vista with my buddy's DVD
(Before I got it) and I upgraded from XP SP2 (this time I did a Clean
install) and I installed Video Drivers and it looked fine. If I must ill go
back to the drawing board and just do what I did last time, which was Upgrade
from XP SP2.