Uploading images from Canon 400D SLR

David

Uploading images from Canon 400D SLR
This is really strange: I use both Canon's EOS Uitlity software and Adobe
Elements 5 to upload photos from my 400D camera using a USB port, (Using
Vista Business Edition). This used to work fine until one day it stopped
working. The EOS software won't communicate with the camera any more and
Elements 5 tells me the camera is 'busy'. So I can only upload photos using
Windows Explorer or by putting the memory card in a card reader. I have
reloaded the software and checked for updates, etc. on both Canon's and
Adobe's sites, but nothing changes. I tried this setup on another p.c. with
XP and it works fine. So why did it work once with Vista and not anymore? I
am inclined to think that something is amiss with the USB port driver(s) but
I have no idea how to fix it. Anyone else have this problem?
flambe

Re: Uploading images from Canon 400D SLR
Most dSLRs have to be set to be used as a USB mass storage device in one of
the zillions of menu settings in order to communicate properly with a
computer.
Check out the settings in your instruction book and make sure they have not
changed.

Pete Stavrakoglou

> This is really strange: I use both Canon's EOS Uitlity software and Adobe
> Elements 5 to upload photos from my 400D camera using a USB port, (Using
> Vista Business Edition). This used to work fine until one day it stopped
> working. The EOS software won't communicate with the camera any more and
> Elements 5 tells me the camera is 'busy'. So I can only upload photos
> using
> Windows Explorer or by putting the memory card in a card reader. I have
> reloaded the software and checked for updates, etc. on both Canon's and
> Adobe's sites, but nothing changes. I tried this setup on another p.c.
> with
> XP and it works fine. So why did it work once with Vista and not anymore?
> am inclined to think that something is amiss with the USB port driver(s)
> but
> I have no idea how to fix it. Anyone else have this problem?

Can't help with the technical issue you're having but let me ask this: did
you find it easier to use the card reader than the camera for uploading your
photos to your computer? Personally, I wouldn't do it any other way. I
have a few DSLRs and only use my card reader.

David

Re: Uploading images from Canon 400D SLR
The 400D doesn't have any settings such as you sugggest, but I know some of
the other Canon DSLR's do. I'm inclined to think the problem has do do with a
recent firmware upgrade I did on the camera but there is no indication on the
Canon web-site, so who knows what is going on. I'm still waiting for a reply
from Canon's 'help desk'. If it solve's the problem I will post it here.

"flambe" wrote:

> Most dSLRs have to be set to be used as a USB mass storage device in one of
> the zillions of menu settings in order to communicate properly with a
> computer.
> Check out the settings in your instruction book and make sure they have not
> changed.

David

Re: Uploading images from Canon 400D SLR
Hello Pete,
Actually, I never used the card reader before this problem came up. There is
no problem using the card reader except that I wonder how long the card
contacts are going to last, both in the camera and on the card, with all this
inserting and removing? After all, the contacts are only plated with a really
thin layer of gold or whatever. I feel the USB plug is more suited for this
mechanical activity, and anyway, it worked before, so why not now. I'm
waiting for a reply from Canon's help-desk to see what they say.

> Hello Pete,
> Actually, I never used the card reader before this problem came up. There
> is
> no problem using the card reader except that I wonder how long the card
> contacts are going to last, both in the camera and on the card, with all
> this
> inserting and removing? After all, the contacts are only plated with a
> really
> thin layer of gold or whatever. I feel the USB plug is more suited for
> this
> mechanical activity, and anyway, it worked before, so why not now. I'm
> waiting for a reply from Canon's help-desk to see what they say.

I did have this concern years ago when I got my first DSLR. It's a Sigma
SD9 and I still use it today. The camera only takes RAW images so each file
is large. The camera connection is USB 1.1. To say that the transfer speed
is slow would ber kind, it is agonizing. At the time I got the camera, CF
cards were not inexpensive - a 256 MB card cost almost $ 100.00 US. I only
had one card for awhile and it only held 32 images. With the slow transfer
speed, I had to use a card reader and have ever since. I can't tell you how
many times I put that card in the reader and I still use it today, there has
been no issue with the contacts. I also have a Nikon D50 which uses SD
cards with the gold plated contacts you referred to. Again, no issues and I
don't expect any.

David

Re: Uploading images from Canon 400D SLR
Hi Pete,
Thanks for your experience advice. I feel a lot better about using it this
way now.
Bye for now. David.

"Pete Stavrakoglou" wrote:

> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Pete,
> > Actually, I never used the card reader before this problem came up. There
> > is
> > no problem using the card reader except that I wonder how long the card
> > contacts are going to last, both in the camera and on the card, with all
> > this
> > inserting and removing? After all, the contacts are only plated with a
> > really
> > thin layer of gold or whatever. I feel the USB plug is more suited for
> > this
> > mechanical activity, and anyway, it worked before, so why not now. I'm
> > waiting for a reply from Canon's help-desk to see what they say.

> I did have this concern years ago when I got my first DSLR. It's a Sigma
> SD9 and I still use it today. The camera only takes RAW images so each file
> is large. The camera connection is USB 1.1. To say that the transfer speed
> is slow would ber kind, it is agonizing. At the time I got the camera, CF
> cards were not inexpensive - a 256 MB card cost almost $ 100.00 US. I only
> had one card for awhile and it only held 32 images. With the slow transfer
> speed, I had to use a card reader and have ever since. I can't tell you how
> many times I put that card in the reader and I still use it today, there has
> been no issue with the contacts. I also have a Nikon D50 which uses SD
> cards with the gold plated contacts you referred to. Again, no issues and I
> don't expect any.

Niko

Re: Uploading images from Canon 400D SLR
Hi David,

have you received any response from Canon? I am experiencing the same thing,
with my Canon 350D SLR. It all looks fine until Vista tells me that the
camera is busy.

"David" wrote:

> Hi Pete,
> Thanks for your experience advice. I feel a lot better about using it this
> way now.
> Bye for now. David.
>
> "Pete Stavrakoglou" wrote:
>
> > "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello Pete,
> > > Actually, I never used the card reader before this problem came up. There
> > > is
> > > no problem using the card reader except that I wonder how long the card
> > > contacts are going to last, both in the camera and on the card, with all
> > > this
> > > inserting and removing? After all, the contacts are only plated with a
> > > really
> > > thin layer of gold or whatever. I feel the USB plug is more suited for
> > > this
> > > mechanical activity, and anyway, it worked before, so why not now. I'm
> > > waiting for a reply from Canon's help-desk to see what they say.

> > I did have this concern years ago when I got my first DSLR. It's a Sigma
> > SD9 and I still use it today. The camera only takes RAW images so each file
> > is large. The camera connection is USB 1.1. To say that the transfer speed
> > is slow would ber kind, it is agonizing. At the time I got the camera, CF
> > cards were not inexpensive - a 256 MB card cost almost $ 100.00 US. I only
> > had one card for awhile and it only held 32 images. With the slow transfer
> > speed, I had to use a card reader and have ever since. I can't tell you how
> > many times I put that card in the reader and I still use it today, there has
> > been no issue with the contacts. I also have a Nikon D50 which uses SD
> > cards with the gold plated contacts you referred to. Again, no issues and I
> > don't expect any.

David

Re: Uploading images from Canon 400D SLR
Hello Niko,
No sorry, I have not found a solution as yet.
Bye. David.