Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

copying DVD's

microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2007
Mike James
 

Posts: n/a
copying DVD's
Although not a Vista user myself, a friend has asked me "How do I copy a
DVD" in Vista ?
The dvd in question is of her Daughters wedding that I took for her and
therefore has no copyright code embedded.
Do you still need 3rd party software to do this (as in NERO), or can it be
done straight from Vista somehow ?

TIA.
Mike.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2007
Adam Albright
 

Posts: n/a
Re: copying DVD's
On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 15:40:36 +0100, "Mike James" <emj@y.com.invalid>
wrote:

>Although not a Vista user myself, a friend has asked me "How do I copy a
>DVD" in Vista ?
>The dvd in question is of her Daughters wedding that I took for her and
>therefore has no copyright code embedded.
>Do you still need 3rd party software to do this (as in NERO), or can it be
>done straight from Vista somehow ?
>
>TIA.
>Mike.
>

It depends on what Vista version you friend has. Only Home Premium and
Ultimate support DVD handling features. So unless he has one of those
then anything to do with DVD burning would require some third party
application in order to get the required MPEG-2 codec.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2007
Mike James
 

Posts: n/a
Re: copying DVD's

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
news:su48e316t0eet62hthkqj0h2csdht675rf@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 15:40:36 +0100, "Mike James" <emj@y.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>Although not a Vista user myself, a friend has asked me "How do I copy a
>>DVD" in Vista ?
>>The dvd in question is of her Daughters wedding that I took for her and
>>therefore has no copyright code embedded.
>>Do you still need 3rd party software to do this (as in NERO), or can it be
>>done straight from Vista somehow ?
>>
>>TIA.
>>Mike.
>>

> It depends on what Vista version you friend has. Only Home Premium and
> Ultimate support DVD handling features. So unless he has one of those
> then anything to do with DVD burning would require some third party
> application in order to get the required MPEG-2 codec.
>................................................. .


Hi Adam.
Thanks for the swift reply.
She has Vista Premium, so are you saying that she can copy her own DVD ok ?
As she's not very up to date with IT, would you mind telling me the basics
so I can call round and show her please.

Regards.
Mike.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2007
John Inzer
 

Posts: n/a
Re: copying DVD's
Mike James wrote:
> Although not a Vista user myself, a friend has asked me "How do I
> copy a DVD" in Vista ?
> The dvd in question is of her Daughters wedding that I took for her
> and therefore has no copyright code embedded.
> Do you still need 3rd party software to do this (as in NERO), or can
> it be done straight from Vista somehow ?
>
> TIA.
> Mike.

==========================
I don't think Vista can copy DVDs.

If your friend has a DVD burner...it probably
came with software that will copy a DVD
(check your documentation). If not...Nero might
be worth a look.

Maybe the following link will be useful.

Windows Vista - Copying
And Burning CDs and DVDs
http://tinyurl.com/2bd8t5

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -
Digital Image MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-09-2007
Adam Albright
 

Posts: n/a
Re: copying DVD's
On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 18:50:27 +0100, "Mike James" <emj@y.com.invalid>
wrote:

>
>"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
>news:su48e316t0eet62hthkqj0h2csdht675rf@4ax.com.. .
>> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 15:40:36 +0100, "Mike James" <emj@y.com.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Although not a Vista user myself, a friend has asked me "How do I copy a
>>>DVD" in Vista ?
>>>The dvd in question is of her Daughters wedding that I took for her and
>>>therefore has no copyright code embedded.
>>>Do you still need 3rd party software to do this (as in NERO), or can it be
>>>done straight from Vista somehow ?
>>>
>>>TIA.
>>>Mike.
>>>

>> It depends on what Vista version you friend has. Only Home Premium and
>> Ultimate support DVD handling features. So unless he has one of those
>> then anything to do with DVD burning would require some third party
>> application in order to get the required MPEG-2 codec.
>>................................................ ..

>
>Hi Adam.
>Thanks for the swift reply.
>She has Vista Premium, so are you saying that she can copy her own DVD ok ?
>As she's not very up to date with IT, would you mind telling me the basics
>so I can call round and show her please.
>
>Regards.
>Mike.
>

Oops.. I misspoke. Any version of Windows should be able to "copy" the
files of a non copyright protected CD or DVD. Just insert it a your
DVD drive and copy the files to your hard drive.

What comes next depends. I have the business version which is minus
the Microsoft DVD features, so I'm in the dark. It would be better to
have somebody that has Home Premium answer so they confirm if or not
DVD Maker which comes with premium can "copy" a DVD as-is. I was
thinking along the lines of copying the files to Movie Maker, then DVD
Maker is suppose to be able to make a DVD from those kind of project
files. So in effect you would be redoing the project, not just
copying. This would work if you're just talking some simple not too
long project with no fancy chapters, etc..

Something like Nero however can take a DVD as is, regardless how
complex it is, chapters and all then it makes a mirror image of the
DVD, so much faster. So it depends also what kind of a "copy" you want
to make and also what you're starting out with.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-10-2007
Mike James
 

Posts: n/a
Re: copying DVD's

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
news:19m8e3del0j4242vfog9sjcq6kvnhorjp0@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 18:50:27 +0100, "Mike James" <emj@y.com.invalid>


>>Snip a bit<<


> Oops.. I misspoke. Any version of Windows should be able to "copy" the
> files of a non copyright protected CD or DVD. Just insert it a your
> DVD drive and copy the files to your hard drive.
>
> What comes next depends. I have the business version which is minus
> the Microsoft DVD features, so I'm in the dark. It would be better to
> have somebody that has Home Premium answer so they confirm if or not
> DVD Maker which comes with premium can "copy" a DVD as-is. I was
> thinking along the lines of copying the files to Movie Maker, then DVD
> Maker is suppose to be able to make a DVD from those kind of project
> files. So in effect you would be redoing the project, not just
> copying. This would work if you're just talking some simple not too
> long project with no fancy chapters, etc..
>
> Something like Nero however can take a DVD as is, regardless how
> complex it is, chapters and all then it makes a mirror image of the
> DVD, so much faster. So it depends also what kind of a "copy" you want
> to make and also what you're starting out with.
>................................................. .........


Thanks again Adam I understand all that as I use Nero on my XP machine.
I thought of Movie Maker but decided against it because as you say, it would
mean doing the whole project again and really what she wanted to do was just
copy the dvd I have already done to save my time again.
I had a quick look on her laptop yesterday to see what it came with and I
noticed some software called "Cyberlink" (or something like that) that would
copy a dvd but it wouldn't work, saying that it needed an update for "Vista"
therefore I think I will investigate further.
Thanks for your time and effort.
Regards.
Mike.


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-10-2007
Mike James
 

Posts: n/a
Re: copying DVD's

"John Inzer" <oobie@doobie.xyz> wrote in message
news:%23cGP87w8HHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Mike James wrote:
>> Although not a Vista user myself, a friend has asked me "How do I
>> copy a DVD" in Vista ?
>> The dvd in question is of her Daughters wedding that I took for her
>> and therefore has no copyright code embedded.
>> Do you still need 3rd party software to do this (as in NERO), or can
>> it be done straight from Vista somehow ?
>>
>> TIA.
>> Mike.

> ==========================
> I don't think Vista can copy DVDs.
>
> If your friend has a DVD burner...it probably
> came with software that will copy a DVD
> (check your documentation). If not...Nero might
> be worth a look.
>
> Maybe the following link will be useful.
>
> Windows Vista - Copying
> And Burning CDs and DVDs
> http://tinyurl.com/2bd8t5
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Picture It! -
> Digital Image MVP
>
> Digital Image
> Highlights and FAQs
> http://tinyurl.com/aczzp
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk
>................................................. ...................

Many thanks for the link & your reply John.
As I said to Adam, I think a little more investigation & help is required
from me.
She was just trying to save my time and do it herself but it looks like I
shall be doing it all myself to help her out.
The project was assemble edited on to my stand alone dvd recorder's hard
drive and copies were made straight from that original.
As it was a wedding, she doesn't yet know how many copies will be needed so
it looks like it will be staying on my Panasonic machine for some time yet
:-((
Regards.
Mike.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't Burn DVD's rickw microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 11 05-11-2007 01:37
Can't play dvd's! pingu microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 1 05-10-2007 18:12
how do i burn dvd's? =?Utf-8?B?YW5nZWxv?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 03-03-2007 15:21
can't play dvd's =?Utf-8?B?bXVzdGll?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 02-20-2007 08:46
Making DVD's =?Utf-8?B?Qm9ubmllLg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 0 01-23-2007 22:57




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:10.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120