Windows movie maker doesn't work anymore

Giocagi├▓

Windows movie maker doesn't work anymore
Hi everybody! first of all I have to say that I'm italian so my english is
not good. I apologize.My problem is the following one: suddenly I am not able
anymore to use WWM: the program opens regularly, but it is impossible to drag
files(images, video or audio files) into the storyboard or the timeline. Any
error message appears. That's all. What can I do? My operating System is
"Vista Home Premium" 32 bit. The installed version of Windows Movie Maker is
6.0 (build 6000). Where is it possibe (if it is possible) to download again
the program in the case I will not able to find a solution? many thanks
arcane shadow cat

RE: Windows movie maker doesn't work anymore
Currently, I am having the same issue. The last time I tried to use the
program was almost 2 months ago before I moved to Ohio from Missouri. I
cannot get the bloody thing to work. Have you heard anything on the issue?

Adam Albright

Re: Windows movie maker doesn't work anymore
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 22:58:00 -0700, Giocagi˛
<Giocagi˛@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi everybody! first of all I have to say that I'm italian so my english is
>not good. I apologize.My problem is the following one: suddenly I am not able
>anymore to use WWM: the program opens regularly, but it is impossible to drag
>files(images, video or audio files) into the storyboard or the timeline. Any
>error message appears. That's all. What can I do? My operating System is
>"Vista Home Premium" 32 bit. The installed version of Windows Movie Maker is
>6.0 (build 6000). Where is it possibe (if it is possible) to download again
>the program in the case I will not able to find a solution? many thanks

One odd "feature" of movie maker is it doesn't allow direct dragging
to the timeline. You need to import first. THEN once your picture or
video files show on screen under imported media you should be able to
drag them from there to the timeline or storyboard.

I use another product, Sony's Vegas, and every time I play with Movie
Maker I laugh over this dumbness. It is one of many poorly designed
"features" for some unexplained reason Microsoft has a bad habit of
incorporating into most of their applications. They're clumsy, if they
work at all.

Mac

Re: Windows movie maker doesn't work anymore
I am having a problem with WMM in Vista Premium. Every time I click publish
button WMM freezes. I have read several post where other people are having
the same prblem, But no fixes available.

"Adam Albright" wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 22:58:00 -0700, Giocagi├▓
> <Giocagi├▓@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi everybody! first of all I have to say that I'm italian so my english is
> >not good. I apologize.My problem is the following one: suddenly I am not able
> >anymore to use WWM: the program opens regularly, but it is impossible to drag
> >files(images, video or audio files) into the storyboard or the timeline. Any
> >error message appears. That's all. What can I do? My operating System is
> >"Vista Home Premium" 32 bit. The installed version of Windows Movie Maker is
> >6.0 (build 6000). Where is it possibe (if it is possible) to download again
> >the program in the case I will not able to find a solution? many thanks

> One odd "feature" of movie maker is it doesn't allow direct dragging
> to the timeline. You need to import first. THEN once your picture or
> video files show on screen under imported media you should be able to
> drag them from there to the timeline or storyboard.
>
> I use another product, Sony's Vegas, and every time I play with Movie
> Maker I laugh over this dumbness. It is one of many poorly designed
> "features" for some unexplained reason Microsoft has a bad habit of
> incorporating into most of their applications. They're clumsy, if they
> work at all.

Adam Albright

Re: Windows movie maker doesn't work anymore
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:56:02 -0700, Mac
<Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am having a problem with WMM in Vista Premium. Every time I click publish
>button WMM freezes. I have read several post where other people are having
>the same prblem, But no fixes available.

Microsoft is very slow to fix problems, heck, most of the time they
don't even acknowledge there are problems with their software. The fix
is simple, use a REAL video editor and like magic all the problems go
away. I'll let you in on a little secret. The problem is likely the
encoder that Microsoft uses. It seems prone to crash. Other problems
can include some third party codec on your system or certain filters
that may get installed if you install some codecs especially codec
packs.

The former issue (Microsoft's cheesy encoder) you can't do anything
about except use something else. If you have other third party video
applications on your system or you are guilty of downloading any codec
packs or bad stuff like that you can try to reset Movie Maker to
ignore them.

1. Start up Movie Maker.
2. Tools/Options Compatibility tab
3. Click the restore defaults tab and cross your fingers

If that don't resolve it download Gspot and install that. A nifty
little free tool that shows all codecs on your system and what videos
need what codec. While designed for AVI files it often works for other
file types too.

yvie w

Help with capturing please
Hi
I have tried Nero to capture film from my camcorder so i can put it on a disc but cannot seem to get good results. I get a bzzzzzzzz noise on playback, and in any case I have to capture small parts of the film at a time as windows tells me I do not have enough room in my temp int files.

I tried to use Wmm but it just tells me there is an unknown error and will not allow me to capture it.

Its all very frustrating!!! Please help!

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
zachd [MSFT]

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message

> Microsoft is very slow to fix problems, heck, most of the time they
> don't even acknowledge there are problems with their software.

There's no real method I'm aware of for "Microsoft to acknowledge problems"
to external customers on a regular basis. =\

> The fix
> is simple, use a REAL video editor and like magic all the problems go
> away. I'll let you in on a little secret. The problem is likely the
> encoder that Microsoft uses. It seems prone to crash. Other problems
> can include some third party codec on your system or certain filters
> that may get installed if you install some codecs especially codec
> packs.

DirectShow was designed to be an inclusionary system, and unless you (as an
app) exclude filters you're going to get the ghoulash of insanity that codec
packs install to the system. This is in large part an externally derived
problem sourced in part from companies who set their filter merits too high.
DO_NOT_USE would be a great merit to use, for example. ;-)

Then again, codec packs doing stuff like shoving Voxware MetaSound onto the
system really aren't doing anyone at all any favors. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.