Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows Mail - links in email messages don't work

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2007
nicmarcop
 

Posts: n/a
Windows Mail - links in email messages don't work
Windows Mail was working perfectly until a couple of days ago.
Now I am unable to get any of the links in my old or new email messages to
work - when I click on a link in an email, I get a message saying
'Application not found'. Don't know if this is due to anything my son has
installed or deleted from our computer in the last few days!!

Can anyone help please?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2007
Gary VanderMolen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail - links in email messages don't work
Go to Default Programs and make sure Windows Mail has all of its defaults.

Gary VanderMolen


"nicmarcop" <nicmarcop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news43C8AA2-B61F-4CEC-960E-66409F378A50@microsoft.com...
> Windows Mail was working perfectly until a couple of days ago.
> Now I am unable to get any of the links in my old or new email messages to
> work - when I click on a link in an email, I get a message saying
> 'Application not found'. Don't know if this is due to anything my son has
> installed or deleted from our computer in the last few days!!
>
> Can anyone help please?
>
> Thanks



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2007
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail - links in email messages don't work
"nicmarcop" <nicmarcop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news43C8AA2-B61F-4CEC-960E-66409F378A50@microsoft.com...
> Windows Mail was working perfectly until a couple of days ago.
> Now I am unable to get any of the links in my old or new email messages to
> work - when I click on a link in an email, I get a message saying
> 'Application not found'. Don't know if this is due to anything my son has
> installed or deleted from our computer in the last few days!!



Start | Default Programs
Make sure Internet Explorer has all its defaults.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Do not send mail.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2008
Heather
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail - links in email messages don't work
Windows mail has all of its defaults as does IE. When I type a link in an
email it works the firs time I send it to myself but not when I forward or
copy and paste the link. I also have outlook installed and it has two
defaults that are not set. Could that be the problem? Are Windows mail and
outlook in conflict? Thanks for your help.
Heather

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> Go to Default Programs and make sure Windows Mail has all of its defaults.
>
> Gary VanderMolen
>
>
> "nicmarcop" <nicmarcop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news43C8AA2-B61F-4CEC-960E-66409F378A50@microsoft.com...
> > Windows Mail was working perfectly until a couple of days ago.
> > Now I am unable to get any of the links in my old or new email messages to
> > work - when I click on a link in an email, I get a message saying
> > 'Application not found'. Don't know if this is due to anything my son has
> > installed or deleted from our computer in the last few days!!
> >
> > Can anyone help please?
> >
> > Thanks

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2008
Gary VanderMolen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail - links in email messages don't work
There are several different types of links. Do you mean a URL link
which is supposed to open a specific web page in your browser?
If so, do you use any browsers other than IE? Sometimes those will
grab the default browser designation.

Copying and pasting links from one email message into another
email message is not always reliable.

Outlook has no effect on this.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)


"Heather" <Heather@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:455842FC-49FE-4A15-8BAC-25042DEB2D2B@microsoft.com...
> Windows mail has all of its defaults as does IE. When I type a link in an
> email it works the firs time I send it to myself but not when I forward or
> copy and paste the link. I also have outlook installed and it has two
> defaults that are not set. Could that be the problem? Are Windows mail and
> outlook in conflict? Thanks for your help.
> Heather
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> Go to Default Programs and make sure Windows Mail has all of its defaults.
>>
>> Gary VanderMolen
>>
>>
>> "nicmarcop" <nicmarcop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news43C8AA2-B61F-4CEC-960E-66409F378A50@microsoft.com...
>> > Windows Mail was working perfectly until a couple of days ago.
>> > Now I am unable to get any of the links in my old or new email messages to
>> > work - when I click on a link in an email, I get a message saying
>> > 'Application not found'. Don't know if this is due to anything my son has
>> > installed or deleted from our computer in the last few days!!
>> >
>> > Can anyone help please?
>> >
>> > Thanks

>>
>>
>>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2008
Heather
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail - links in email messages don't work
Thanks for your time Gary. Yes, I type an email and put my web site url in
the body of the email. It used to work fine but now it only works if I retype
a part of the www.website.com . It will work if I backspace until the m is
gone and then retype just the m and hit ths space bar. I have google on my IE
explorer top right (to the right of file, edit, view etc...) but it is still
the IE browser. Could it be that Word or some other program is messing up the
url html?

I'm not sure this is important but I noticed the aforementioned problem at
the same time I noticed frequently typed email addresses were not auto
completing and were not given as a multiple choice when I started typing an
email address.

Again, thanks fore your time.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> There are several different types of links. Do you mean a URL link
> which is supposed to open a specific web page in your browser?
> If so, do you use any browsers other than IE? Sometimes those will
> grab the default browser designation.
>
> Copying and pasting links from one email message into another
> email message is not always reliable.
>
> Outlook has no effect on this.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>
>
> "Heather" <Heather@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:455842FC-49FE-4A15-8BAC-25042DEB2D2B@microsoft.com...
> > Windows mail has all of its defaults as does IE. When I type a link in an
> > email it works the firs time I send it to myself but not when I forward or
> > copy and paste the link. I also have outlook installed and it has two
> > defaults that are not set. Could that be the problem? Are Windows mail and
> > outlook in conflict? Thanks for your help.
> > Heather
> >
> > "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
> >
> >> Go to Default Programs and make sure Windows Mail has all of its defaults.
> >>
> >> Gary VanderMolen
> >>
> >>
> >> "nicmarcop" <nicmarcop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news43C8AA2-B61F-4CEC-960E-66409F378A50@microsoft.com...
> >> > Windows Mail was working perfectly until a couple of days ago.
> >> > Now I am unable to get any of the links in my old or new email messages to
> >> > work - when I click on a link in an email, I get a message saying
> >> > 'Application not found'. Don't know if this is due to anything my son has
> >> > installed or deleted from our computer in the last few days!!
> >> >
> >> > Can anyone help please?
> >> >
> >> > Thanks
> >>
> >>
> >>

>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2008
Gary VanderMolen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail - links in email messages don't work
I don't believe there is a connection between the auto-completion failure
and the URL link failure. Auto-completion has never worked very well in
Windows Mail. If that is important to you, it works perfectly in the newer
Windows Live Mail (WLM). Upgrading to WLM is also likely to fix that
URL link problem, so you'd be killing two birds with one stone.

I'm still not clear on the exact failure mode of the URL link.
At what point is the failure noted? When the recipient receives
your email and tries to click on that link, or when you receive an email,
or while you are composing an email?

Is the bad URL link always created he same way, typing it from scratch,
or is all or part of it copied and pasted from somewhere else?
Are you composing with HTML or plain text?

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)


"Heather" <Heather@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A6F3CB2-4F4B-49E1-A526-1F92C6B77CEC@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for your time Gary. Yes, I type an email and put my web site url in
> the body of the email. It used to work fine but now it only works if I retype
> a part of the www.website.com . It will work if I backspace until the m is
> gone and then retype just the m and hit ths space bar. I have google on my IE
> explorer top right (to the right of file, edit, view etc...) but it is still
> the IE browser. Could it be that Word or some other program is messing up the
> url html?
>
> I'm not sure this is important but I noticed the aforementioned problem at
> the same time I noticed frequently typed email addresses were not auto
> completing and were not given as a multiple choice when I started typing an
> email address.
>
> Again, thanks fore your time.
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> There are several different types of links. Do you mean a URL link
>> which is supposed to open a specific web page in your browser?
>> If so, do you use any browsers other than IE? Sometimes those will
>> grab the default browser designation.
>>
>> Copying and pasting links from one email message into another
>> email message is not always reliable.
>>
>> Outlook has no effect on this.
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>>
>>
>> "Heather" <Heather@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:455842FC-49FE-4A15-8BAC-25042DEB2D2B@microsoft.com...
>> > Windows mail has all of its defaults as does IE. When I type a link in an
>> > email it works the firs time I send it to myself but not when I forward or
>> > copy and paste the link. I also have outlook installed and it has two
>> > defaults that are not set. Could that be the problem? Are Windows mail and
>> > outlook in conflict? Thanks for your help.
>> > Heather
>> >
>> > "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Go to Default Programs and make sure Windows Mail has all of its defaults.
>> >>
>> >> Gary VanderMolen
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> "nicmarcop" <nicmarcop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news43C8AA2-B61F-4CEC-960E-66409F378A50@microsoft.com...
>> >> > Windows Mail was working perfectly until a couple of days ago.
>> >> > Now I am unable to get any of the links in my old or new email messages to
>> >> > work - when I click on a link in an email, I get a message saying
>> >> > 'Application not found'. Don't know if this is due to anything my son has
>> >> > installed or deleted from our computer in the last few days!!
>> >> >
>> >> > Can anyone help please?
>> >> >
>> >> > Thanks
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>

>>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2008
Laurel D
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail - links in email messages don't work
I am having the same problem with clicking on a link in messages and getting
a message popping up saying..application not found...it's driving me crazy!
Anyone know how to fix this?

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> I don't believe there is a connection between the auto-completion failure
> and the URL link failure. Auto-completion has never worked very well in
> Windows Mail. If that is important to you, it works perfectly in the newer
> Windows Live Mail (WLM). Upgrading to WLM is also likely to fix that
> URL link problem, so you'd be killing two birds with one stone.
>
> I'm still not clear on the exact failure mode of the URL link.
> At what point is the failure noted? When the recipient receives
> your email and tries to click on that link, or when you receive an email,
> or while you are composing an email?
>
> Is the bad URL link always created he same way, typing it from scratch,
> or is all or part of it copied and pasted from somewhere else?
> Are you composing with HTML or plain text?
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>
>
> "Heather" <Heather@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A6F3CB2-4F4B-49E1-A526-1F92C6B77CEC@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks for your time Gary. Yes, I type an email and put my web site url in
> > the body of the email. It used to work fine but now it only works if I retype
> > a part of the www.website.com . It will work if I backspace until the m is
> > gone and then retype just the m and hit ths space bar. I have google on my IE
> > explorer top right (to the right of file, edit, view etc...) but it is still
> > the IE browser. Could it be that Word or some other program is messing up the
> > url html?
> >
> > I'm not sure this is important but I noticed the aforementioned problem at
> > the same time I noticed frequently typed email addresses were not auto
> > completing and were not given as a multiple choice when I started typing an
> > email address.
> >
> > Again, thanks fore your time.
> >
> > "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
> >
> >> There are several different types of links. Do you mean a URL link
> >> which is supposed to open a specific web page in your browser?
> >> If so, do you use any browsers other than IE? Sometimes those will
> >> grab the default browser designation.
> >>
> >> Copying and pasting links from one email message into another
> >> email message is not always reliable.
> >>
> >> Outlook has no effect on this.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
> >>
> >>
> >> "Heather" <Heather@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:455842FC-49FE-4A15-8BAC-25042DEB2D2B@microsoft.com...
> >> > Windows mail has all of its defaults as does IE. When I type a link in an
> >> > email it works the firs time I send it to myself but not when I forward or
> >> > copy and paste the link. I also have outlook installed and it has two
> >> > defaults that are not set. Could that be the problem? Are Windows mail and
> >> > outlook in conflict? Thanks for your help.
> >> > Heather
> >> >
> >> > "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> Go to Default Programs and make sure Windows Mail has all of its defaults.
> >> >>
> >> >> Gary VanderMolen
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >> "nicmarcop" <nicmarcop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news43C8AA2-B61F-4CEC-960E-66409F378A50@microsoft.com...
> >> >> > Windows Mail was working perfectly until a couple of days ago.
> >> >> > Now I am unable to get any of the links in my old or new email messages to
> >> >> > work - when I click on a link in an email, I get a message saying
> >> >> > 'Application not found'. Don't know if this is due to anything my son has
> >> >> > installed or deleted from our computer in the last few days!!
> >> >> >
> >> >> > Can anyone help please?
> >> >> >
> >> >> > Thanks
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >>

>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2008
Gary VanderMolen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail - links in email messages don't work
Are you clicking on a URL (web) link? If so, I need to know which
browser you use. If Internet Explorer:
Open the Default Programs applet, which you can access either from
the Start menu or via the Control Panel, then click the first item:
"Set your default programs." After a few seconds, a list of programs
comes up. Click on "Internet Explorer".
If it doesn't respond with "This program has all its defaults"
then fix it by clicking on the option indicated by the first green arrow.

If Mozilla Firefox is your default browser, use this fix:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fi...using-firefox/

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)


"Laurel D" <LaurelD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5FFC821-6616-4C3D-B688-CCB40165D739@microsoft.com...
>I am having the same problem with clicking on a link in messages and getting
> a message popping up saying..application not found...it's driving me crazy!
> Anyone know how to fix this?

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2009
1sharpeye
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail - links in email messages don't work
on 6/5/2009 my Vista windows mail would not open the links also, can't
explain what may have caused it, I downloaded Googles Chrome,didn't like it
so I removed it. next day when i tried to go to a link in my mail I got a
error mssage "application not working" I tried the Default programs
suggestion, it didn't work. As a last resort I reset the Restore point to 3
days earlier and that did the trick. Macfee security showed my email wasn't
protected, so I ran a virus scan and everything went back to normal.



"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> Go to Default Programs and make sure Windows Mail has all of its defaults.
>
> Gary VanderMolen
>
>
> "nicmarcop" <nicmarcop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news43C8AA2-B61F-4CEC-960E-66409F378A50@microsoft.com...
> > Windows Mail was working perfectly until a couple of days ago.
> > Now I am unable to get any of the links in my old or new email messages to
> > work - when I click on a link in an email, I get a message saying
> > 'Application not found'. Don't know if this is due to anything my son has
> > installed or deleted from our computer in the last few days!!
> >
> > Can anyone help please?
> >
> > Thanks

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
in-page links from Windows Mail don't work LeeTutor microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 7 05-10-2007 12:34
cannot find old email messages (that I have not deleted) in windows Mail mdkw microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 6 05-03-2007 04:03
Export email messages from Windows Mail =?iso-8859-1?Q?Stig_Kulvedr=F8sten?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-01-2007 02:55
Email links open in seperate browser windows =?Utf-8?B?TENoYWxrZXI=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 0 02-12-2007 19:29
Transferring email messages from OE 5 to Windows Mail Karl Robert Profe microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 1 02-05-2007 16:36




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:15.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120