Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

can't open .email files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-06-2007
lsukev
 

Posts: n/a
can't open .email files
can anyone tell me how to enable .email files in windows mail on a vist home
premiun system.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2007
diane
 

Posts: n/a
Re: can't open .email files

"lsukev" <lsukev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:79BE59AD-6134-45C9-8E1B-23A851B2A8D1@microsoft.com...
> can anyone tell me how to enable .email files in windows mail on a vist
> home
> premiun system.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2007
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: can't open .email files
An .EMAIL file is an alternate file extension for an .EML file. One option
is to save the attachment, then rename with an .EML file name. Another is
to create a file association for .EMAIL files. Use folder Options to create
a new File Type for .EMAIL and duplicate the settings listed for .EML files.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"lsukev" <lsukev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:79BE59AD-6134-45C9-8E1B-23A851B2A8D1@microsoft.com...
> can anyone tell me how to enable .email files in windows mail on a vist

home
> premiun system.



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2008
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3
KITTY44 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still can't open .email programs in windows mail
I have the same problem. I checked folder options set associations and both .eml and .email are listed with Windows Mail as the default opening program. But, I still have to save the file attachment and rename the .email to eml then it will open. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2008
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: can't open .email files
An .EMAIL file is an alternate file extension for an .EML file. One option
is to save the attachment, then rename with an .EML file name, as you've
discovered. Another is to create a file association for .EMAIL files. Save
the .EMAIL attachment to your desktop, Shift-right click it and choose 'open
with'. Choose WinMail and check the box for always use this program. This
adds the .EMAIL file type and associates it with Windows Mail.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"KITTY44" <KITTY44.3da4w5@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
news:KITTY44.3da4w5@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>
> I have the same problem. I checked folder options set associations and
> both .eml and .email are listed with Windows Mail as the default opening
> program. But, I still have to save the file attachment and rename the
> email to eml then it will open. Any other suggestions?
>
>
> --
> KITTY44
> Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2008
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3
KITTY44 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried that already...
Thank you for trying to help, but I already did that too. This is what happens: Highlight the email by clicking on it. Double Click and a new window opens with the attachment listed in the field labeled 'Attachment". Right under the subject line.
Double click on the attachment, then it shifts back to the original windows mail window. If I save as, say on the desktop, left click opens the windows mail window again. If I right click on the saved file, choose open with and a new window opens with Windows Mail highlighted, click OK and right back to the original windows mail window. I can open it if I change the file extension. I would just like to double click the attachment and have it open like any other attachment. I used to have the same problem with OE in XP, but not I have Vista and Windows Mail and so I think it's a Microsoft bug. I've searched for answers and and only found the file association solution that doesn't work. Again, thanks for trying.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2008
Hal Hostetler [MVP P/I]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: can't open .email files
Yes, so I notice. The problem is fixable, however. I found a free third
party File Association editor here:

http://www.primalscript.com/Free_Tools/index.asp
Free Tools for Scripting

The editor is called "FileTypes". With it, I examined the .EMAIL
association created with the method I described in my first post and found
thee "Open" verb to read:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\winmail.exe" "%1"

By changing this to read:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\winmail.exe" /eml:%1

I got the result I wanted, double clicking an .EMAIL file opens the message,
not the program. I don't understand why the file association editing
features wwerre removed from Vista, but this free editor works well.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX
http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"KITTY44" <KITTY44.3dag04@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
news:KITTY44.3dag04@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>
> Thank you for trying to help, but I already did that too. This is what
> happens: Highlight the email by clicking on it. Double Click and a new
> window opens with the attachment listed in the field labeled
> 'Attachment". Right under the subject line.
> Double click on the attachment, then it shifts back to the original
> windows mail window. If I save as, say on the desktop, left click opens
> the windows mail window again. If I right click on the saved file,
> choose open with and a new window opens with Windows Mail highlighted,
> click OK and right back to the original windows mail window. I can open
> it if I change the file extension. I would just like to double click
> the attachment and have it open like any other attachment. I used to
> have the same problem with OE in XP, but not I have Vista and Windows
> Mail and so I think it's a Microsoft bug. I've searched for answers and
> and only found the file association solution that doesn't work. Again,
> thanks for trying.
>
>
> --
> KITTY44
> Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
>



Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2008
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3
KITTY44 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It worked
Thanks so much editing the open verb like you suggested fixed it. I don't know how you figured out how to edit it, but I'm grateful. Think I'll keep that File types program around, it may come in handy another time. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2008
Ramesh, MS-MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: can't open .email files
I've made available a REG file which creates file association for .email
file type. See:

Unable to Open .EMAIL File Attachments in Windows Mail - The Winhelponline
Blog:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/un...-windows-mail/

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
The Winhelponline Blog: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
Windows« Troubleshooting: http://www.winhelponline.com


"KITTY44" <KITTY44.3dc6gh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message
news:KITTY44.3dc6gh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>
> Thanks so much editing the open verb like you suggested fixed it. I
> don't know how you figured out how to edit it, but I'm grateful. Think
> I'll keep that File types program around, it may come in handy another
> time. Thanks.
>
>
> --
> KITTY44
> Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com
>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ant open doc files in email lyn462007 microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 2 06-14-2007 10:34
Open Bellsouth Email Attachments dml0162 microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 1 05-04-2007 00:05
Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Email Not Able to open upgraded to V =?Utf-8?B?U2VsaW5h?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 03-19-2007 17:26
open email message =?Utf-8?B?UHdoaXRl?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 1 03-12-2007 09:38
Email links open in seperate browser windows =?Utf-8?B?TENoYWxrZXI=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 0 02-12-2007 19:29




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:58.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120