microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Kathy D

I was in Windows Mail when suddenly a box popped up asking for my username
and password from Windows Mail.. Although I attempted correctly several times
it still will not work. I contacted my kerrlake server and we tried several
things including deleting the account and resetting it back up but it still
will not open. I can receive my emails on my blackberry and can get on the
internet. Also, a protocal error message pops up. Please help!
--
Diamond & Associates
Gary VanderMolen

Re: Windows mail asking to verify username and password
When you get that repeated prompt for username and password, click Cancel,
which should then produce an error message. Right-click on your error message,
copy, then paste it into a reply here. We can't do much troubleshooting without
the complete error message.

I'm assuming you are certain you are inputting the correct username and
password.

When deleting and recreating an account in Windows Mail, be sure
you restart Windows Mail after deleting and before recreating.

If that didn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.
Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

If turning off the email scanning function does not resolve your problem,
consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to
suffering bad effects from overly aggressive antivirus programs.
http://download.live.com/wlmail

For more on why email scanning in your antivirus is bad, see:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Kathy D" wrote in message news:7D6DCCC9-A299-4B67-AEB0-62B9467F591D@microsoft.com...

I was in Windows Mail when suddenly a box popped up asking for my username
and password from Windows Mail.. Although I attempted correctly several times
it still will not work. I contacted my kerrlake server and we tried several
things including deleting the account and resetting it back up but it still
will not open. I can receive my emails on my blackberry and can get on the
internet. Also, a protocal error message pops up. Please help!
--
Diamond & Associates

Andy Anderson

Re: Windows mail asking to verify username and password
Hi Gary,

I have the same problem as Kathy. I have Windows Mail and Microsoft
antivirus.

Several times when I clicked "cancel" I did not receive any error message.
Once I got the following error message:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'POP3.live.com', Server:
'POP3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error:
10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Thanks. Andy Anderson

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> When you get that repeated prompt for username and password, click Cancel,
> which should then produce an error message. Right-click on your error message,
> copy, then paste it into a reply here. We can't do much troubleshooting without
> the complete error message.
>
> I'm assuming you are certain you are inputting the correct username and
> password.
>
> When deleting and recreating an account in Windows Mail, be sure
> you restart Windows Mail after deleting and before recreating.
>
> If that didn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.
> Which antivirus are you running?
> As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
> although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
> In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.
>
> If turning off the email scanning function does not resolve your problem,
> consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to
> suffering bad effects from overly aggressive antivirus programs.
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>
> For more on why email scanning in your antivirus is bad, see:
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

> "Kathy D" wrote in message news:7D6DCCC9-A299-4B67-AEB0-62B9467F591D@microsoft.com...
>
> I was in Windows Mail when suddenly a box popped up asking for my username
> and password from Windows Mail.. Although I attempted correctly several times
> it still will not work. I contacted my kerrlake server and we tried several
> things including deleting the account and resetting it back up but it still
> will not open. I can receive my emails on my blackberry and can get on the
> internet. Also, a protocal error message pops up. Please help!
> --
> Diamond & Associates
>
> .

Bob K

"Kathy D" wrote:

> I was in Windows Mail when suddenly a box popped up asking for my username
> and password from Windows Mail.. Although I attempted correctly several times
> it still will not work. I contacted my kerrlake server and we tried several
> things including deleting the account and resetting it back up but it still
> will not open. I can receive my emails on my blackberry and can get on the
> internet. Also, a protocal error message pops up. Please help!
> --
> Diamond & Associates

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Windows mail asking to verify username and password
Your settings look good.
One thing you should try as a possible quick fix is to delete that
mail account, RESTART Windows Mail, then recreate that account.

If no improvement, I suggest upgrading to the latest Windows Live Mail beta:
http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials-beta
It will automatically import all your Windows Mail data.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> When you get that repeated prompt for username and password, click Cancel,
> which should then produce an error message. Right-click on your error message,
> copy, then paste it into a reply here. We can't do much troubleshooting without
> the complete error message.
>
> I'm assuming you are certain you are inputting the correct username and
> password.
>
> When deleting and recreating an account in Windows Mail, be sure
> you restart Windows Mail after deleting and before recreating.
>
> If that didn't fix it, more drastic measures will have to be taken.
> Which antivirus are you running?
> As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
> although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
> In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.
>
> If turning off the email scanning function does not resolve your problem,
> consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to
> suffering bad effects from overly aggressive antivirus programs.
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>
> For more on why email scanning in your antivirus is bad, see:
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

> "Kathy D" wrote in message news:7D6DCCC9-A299-4B67-AEB0-62B9467F591D@microsoft.com...
>
> I was in Windows Mail when suddenly a box popped up asking for my username
> and password from Windows Mail.. Although I attempted correctly several times
> it still will not work. I contacted my kerrlake server and we tried several
> things including deleting the account and resetting it back up but it still
> will not open. I can receive my emails on my blackberry and can get on the
> internet. Also, a protocal error message pops up. Please help!
> --
> Diamond & Associates
>
> .

Andy Anderson

Re: Windows mail asking to verify username and password
Thanks, Gary.

I downloaded Windows Live Mail beta and the problem is solved.

Andy Anderson

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> [...]
> > http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
> >
> > Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> >
> > "Kathy D" wrote in message news:7D6DCCC9-A299-4B67-AEB0-62B9467F591D@microsoft.com...
> >
> > I was in Windows Mail when suddenly a box popped up asking for my username
> > and password from Windows Mail.. Although I attempted correctly several times
> > it still will not work. I contacted my kerrlake server and we tried several
> > things including deleting the account and resetting it back up but it still
> > will not open. I can receive my emails on my blackberry and can get on the
> > internet. Also, a protocal error message pops up. Please help!
> > --
> > Diamond & Associates
> >
> > .
> >

> .

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Windows mail asking to verify username and password
You're very welcome. Glad to hear that installing Windows Live Mail solved your problem.