Windows Mail - Connection to server failed...

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

jenncooper is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windows Mail - Connection to server failed...
I keep getting the following error messages every time I log onto Windows Mail:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.optonline.net', Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I can't receive or send mail. Please help!!!
Bruce Hagen

Re: Windows Mail - Connection to server failed...
Tools | Options | General. Temporarily uncheck: Send & Receive at Startup
and Check for messages every X minutes.

Close and open WinMail. No error, right?

1: Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving,
and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting
changes and has even been responsible for loss of messages. Your
up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For
more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

Note that for some AV programs, it may be necessary to uninstall the
program and reinstall in Custom Mode and uncheck e-mail scanning when the
option arises.

2: Make sure all your setting agree with these.

How do I set up/configure Outlook Express, Windows Mail & Windows Live
Mail for Comcast email?
http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=2288

3: If still no joy, you may have a corrupt or very large message trying to
download. Logon to Comcast's Webmail and read/delete messages there to
clear up the problem.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"jenncooper" <jenncooper.46aqg2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:jenncooper.46aqg2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I keep getting the following error messages every time I log onto
> Windows Mail:
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net',
> Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
> Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.optonline.net',
> Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL):
> No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>
> I can't receive or send mail. Please help!!!
>

> --
> jenncooper

jenncooper is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Windows Mail - Connection to server failed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Hagen View Post
Tools | Options | General. Temporarily uncheck: Send & Receive at Startup
and Check for messages every X minutes.

Close and open WinMail. No error, right?

1: Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving,
and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting
changes and has even been responsible for loss of messages. Your
up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For
more, see:
OETips

Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email - A Cloudeight Information Avenune Tutorial

Note that for some AV programs, it may be necessary to uninstall the
program and reinstall in Custom Mode and uncheck e-mail scanning when the
option arises.

2: Make sure all your setting agree with these.

How do I set up/configure Outlook Express, Windows Mail & Windows Live
Mail for Comcast email?
Welcome to Comcast customerCentral!

3: If still no joy, you may have a corrupt or very large message trying to
download. Logon to Comcast's Webmail and read/delete messages there to
clear up the problem.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

"jenncooper" <jenncooper.46aqg2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:jenncooper.46aqg2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I keep getting the following error messages every time I log onto
> Windows Mail:
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net',
> Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
> Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>
> The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.optonline.net',
> Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL):
> No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>
> I can't receive or send mail. Please help!!!
>

> --
> jenncooper

Thanks Bruce!

Disabling the anit-virus solved the issue with my Optonline account but I'm still getting the following error message regarding my Comcast account:

Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid command', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

Any other suggestions?

"jenncooper" <jenncooper.46c4g3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:jenncooper.46c4g3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> [...]

>> No,
>> > Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>> >
>> > The connection to the server has failed. Account:

>> 'mail.optonline.net',
>> > Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110,

>> Secure(SSL):
>> > No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
>> >
>> > I can't receive or send mail. Please help!!!
>> >

>> > --
>> > jenncooper
>> >

> Thanks Bruce!
>
> Disabling the anit-virus solved the issue with my Optonline account but
> I'm still getting the following error message regarding my Comcast
> account:
>
> Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol:
> POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid command', Port: 110, Secure(SSL):
> No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18

Check those setting here.

Setting up Optimum Online in Outlook Express:
http://optimum.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ZP7Ki&p_lva=27

What AV program are you running? As noted, for some it is necessary to
remove and then do a custom install and opt out of e-mail scanning when
offered. Especially included, but not limited to, AVG and Norton.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

nelagins

Re: Windows Mail - Connection to server failed...
This was helpful to me, so thanks!

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

> Tools | Options | General. Temporarily uncheck: Send & Receive at Startup
> and Check for messages every X minutes.
>
> Close and open WinMail. No error, right?
>
> 1: Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
> layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving,
> and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting
> changes and has even been responsible for loss of messages. Your
> up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For
> more, see:
> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
>
> Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>
> Note that for some AV programs, it may be necessary to uninstall the
> program and reinstall in Custom Mode and uncheck e-mail scanning when the
> option arises.
>
> 2: Make sure all your setting agree with these.
>
> How do I set up/configure Outlook Express, Windows Mail & Windows Live
> Mail for Comcast email?
> http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq...s.ashx?Id=2288
>
> 3: If still no joy, you may have a corrupt or very large message trying to
> download. Logon to Comcast's Webmail and read/delete messages there to
> clear up the problem.
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP [Mail]
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "jenncooper" <jenncooper.46aqg2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
> message news:jenncooper.46aqg2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
> >
> > I keep getting the following error messages every time I log onto
> > Windows Mail:
> >
> > The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net',
> > Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
> > Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
> >
> > The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.optonline.net',
> > Server: 'mail.optonline.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL):
> > No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
> >
> > I can't receive or send mail. Please help!!!
> >

> > --
> > jenncooper
> >

> .

Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

Re: Windows Mail - Connection to server failed...
Go to Tools, Accounts, select that Comcast mail account, Properties, Servers.
Make sure that "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" is not enabled.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
Microsoft MVP Program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com