typing glitches in Windows Mail

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

VINOSABE

typing glitches in Windows Mail
annoying recent development...after composing an email, if I go back /click /
move cursor to insert a word or a punctuation (NOT highlighting anything),
often (but now always) the new word I am entering "gobbles" the text already
written that follows on that line, letter by letter, space by space,
character by character...
If I type in a 5 letter word, the next five letters or spaces disappear; a
seven letter word with a comma at the end will "gobble up" the next 8
characters....
Is there some option or keystroke that causes this, or can stop this from
happening ?
--
Vinosabe
Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Re: typing glitches in Windows Mail
Click the Insert key. It toggles between destructive insert and
additive insert modes.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen

"VINOSABE" <VINOSABE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1890B7A0-0F6B-4748-A021-7BC93A056F13@microsoft.com...
> annoying recent development...after composing an email, if I go back /click /
> move cursor to insert a word or a punctuation (NOT highlighting anything),
> often (but now always) the new word I am entering "gobbles" the text already
> written that follows on that line, letter by letter, space by space,
> character by character...
> If I type in a 5 letter word, the next five letters or spaces disappear; a
> seven letter word with a comma at the end will "gobble up" the next 8
> characters....
> Is there some option or keystroke that causes this, or can stop this from
> happening ?
> --
> Vinosabe

Sam Hobbs

Re: typing glitches in Windows Mail
Destructive insert is often called overtype.

"Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
Click the Insert key. It toggles between destructive insert and
additive insert modes.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen

"VINOSABE" <VINOSABE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> annoying recent development...after composing an email, if I go back
> /click /
> move cursor to insert a word or a punctuation (NOT highlighting anything),
> often (but now always) the new word I am entering "gobbles" the text
> already
> written that follows on that line, letter by letter, space by space,
> character by character...
> If I type in a 5 letter word, the next five letters or spaces disappear;
> seven letter word with a comma at the end will "gobble up" the next 8
> characters....
> Is there some option or keystroke that causes this, or can stop this from
> happening ?
> --
> Vinosabe

Hank

Re: typing glitches in Windows Mail
o.k. thanks !
so now I have a way to fix this annoyance...
I'd like to know how to prevent it in the first place...
any idea why my computer jumps into the "destructive insert" mode, seemingly
on it's own ? can I prevent the computer from doing this ?

"Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" wrote:

> Click the Insert key. It toggles between destructive insert and
> additive insert modes.

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen
>

> "VINOSABE" <VINOSABE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1890B7A0-0F6B-4748-A021-7BC93A056F13@microsoft.com...
> > annoying recent development...after composing an email, if I go back /click /
> > move cursor to insert a word or a punctuation (NOT highlighting anything),
> > often (but now always) the new word I am entering "gobbles" the text already
> > written that follows on that line, letter by letter, space by space,
> > character by character...
> > If I type in a 5 letter word, the next five letters or spaces disappear; a
> > seven letter word with a comma at the end will "gobble up" the next 8
> > characters....
> > Is there some option or keystroke that causes this, or can stop this from
> > happening ?
> > --
> > Vinosabe

> .

slk759

Re: typing glitches in Windows Mail
Most likely you have hit the Insert key by mistake, typo-ed. I have a new
PC and the keyboard layout is a little different and I have to click it
every now and then because I've hit it by mistake. It's not a big deal
really, if I start over-typing instead of inserting, I know to hit Insert .
.. . . .

"Hank" <Hank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> o.k. thanks !
> so now I have a way to fix this annoyance...
> I'd like to know how to prevent it in the first place...
> any idea why my computer jumps into the "destructive insert" mode,
> seemingly
> on it's own ? can I prevent the computer from doing this ?
>
> "Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Click the Insert key. It toggles between destructive insert and
>> additive insert modes.
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen
>>

>> "VINOSABE" <VINOSABE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > annoying recent development...after composing an email, if I go back
>> > /click /
>> > move cursor to insert a word or a punctuation (NOT highlighting
>> > anything),
>> > often (but now always) the new word I am entering "gobbles" the text
>> > already
>> > written that follows on that line, letter by letter, space by space,
>> > character by character...
>> > If I type in a 5 letter word, the next five letters or spaces
>> > disappear; a
>> > seven letter word with a comma at the end will "gobble up" the next 8
>> > characters....
>> > Is there some option or keystroke that causes this, or can stop this
>> > from
>> > happening ?
>> > --
>> > Vinosabe

>> .

Sam Hobbs

Re: typing glitches in Windows Mail
If it happens again and you are totally sure you did not press the insert
key, it is likely a defective keyboard.