Unable to create shortcut for Windows Live Mail.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Wrinkly

Unable to create shortcut for Windows Live Mail.
I have been using Windows Mail for my Yahoo addresses and by right clicking
on the W.M. icon in the programme list above the start button I put a
shortcut on to the desktop that has been working very well.
Today I have combined Yahoo and Hotmail addresses under the WLM umbrella.
But I cannot find how to make a shortcut.
Nowhere can I find the relevant WLM icon to make a shortcut from. Obviously
I am missing something, somewhere, but what is it?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
rhlhamlet

Re: Unable to create shortcut for Windows Live Mail.

Very simple to do:

1. Click the Windows Orb (bottom left of your computer)
2. Type in "windows live mail"
3. At to top of the list you will now see "windows live mail"
4. Right Click on "windows live mail"
5. Click: "Send to Desktop"

That's it.

--
rhlhamlet
Gary VanderMolen

Re: Unable to create shortcut for Windows Live Mail.
Click Start, All Programs, Windows Live, right-click on Windows Live Mail,
select Send To, Desktop. You can do this for any Windows program.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen

"Wrinkly" <Wrinkly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55135145-7509-4044-94EC-5B65F30B06ED@microsoft.com...
>I have been using Windows Mail for my Yahoo addresses and by right clicking
> on the W.M. icon in the programme list above the start button I put a
> shortcut on to the desktop that has been working very well.
> Today I have combined Yahoo and Hotmail addresses under the WLM umbrella.
> But I cannot find how to make a shortcut.
> Nowhere can I find the relevant WLM icon to make a shortcut from. Obviously
> I am missing something, somewhere, but what is it?
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

Wrinkly

Re: Unable to create shortcut for Windows Live Mail.
Thanks for the advice. This is something I had already tried. The options
offered when I right click on the "E-mail Windows Live Mail" are
Read e-mail
Internet properties
Remove from this list.
Opening up any of these doesn't seem to give me what I want. No offer
of a shortcut in there anywhere.

Whereas: The Windows Mail icon in the same list offers the usual option of
'send to' that allowed me to create a shortcut.

Cheers,

"rhlhamlet" wrote:

> Very simple to do:
>
> 1. Click the Windows Orb (bottom left of your computer)
> 2. Type in "windows live mail"
> 3. At to top of the list you will now see "windows live mail"
> 4. Right Click on "windows live mail"
> 5. Click: "Send to Desktop"
>
> That's it.
>

> --
> rhlhamlet
> .

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Unable to create shortcut for Windows Live Mail.
You didn't follow my instructions.
You went to the top level menu of the Start menu instead of going to

"Wrinkly" <Wrinkly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4CBA878-A9B0-4C5B-B4F5-4FFD9DE87790@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the advice. This is something I had already tried. The options
> offered when I right click on the "E-mail Windows Live Mail" are
> Read e-mail
> Internet properties
> Remove from this list.
> Opening up any of these doesn't seem to give me what I want. No offer
> of a shortcut in there anywhere.
>

> Whereas: The Windows Mail icon in the same list offers the usual option of
> 'send to' that allowed me to create a shortcut.
>
> Cheers,
>

> "rhlhamlet" wrote:
>

>> Very simple to do:
>>
>> 1. Click the Windows Orb (bottom left of your computer)
>> 2. Type in "windows live mail"
>> 3. At to top of the list you will now see "windows live mail"
>> 4. Right Click on "windows live mail"
>> 5. Click: "Send to Desktop"
>>
>> That's it.
>>

>> --
>> rhlhamlet
>> .

Wrinkly

Re: Unable to create shortcut for Windows Live Mail.
Gary,

When I replied initially it was to rhlhamelt's advice. At that time your
contribution wasn't on screen.

Now that I have done what you suggested I still draw a blank. When I go to
All programs /Windows Live and left click 'empty' appears. So when I right
click
send to desktop I do get a shortcut but so does 'this folder is empty'.

I have found a way round it though - an amateurish wasy perhaps but it does
work. I find that a right click on EMail . Windows Live Mail at the top of
the Start column, then 'Read email' brings up the sign in to Windows Live
panel. It needs me to confirm the password but as the account is one that is
one I don't use I bypass it by clicking on 'cancel' and my WLM appears on
screen. If you can tell me how to move this panel I would welcome the info.

Thanks for the help.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> Click Start, All Programs, Windows Live, right-click on Windows Live Mail,
> select Send To, Desktop. You can do this for any Windows program.

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen
>

> "Wrinkly" <Wrinkly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55135145-7509-4044-94EC-5B65F30B06ED@microsoft.com...
> >I have been using Windows Mail for my Yahoo addresses and by right clicking
> > on the W.M. icon in the programme list above the start button I put a
> > shortcut on to the desktop that has been working very well.
> > Today I have combined Yahoo and Hotmail addresses under the WLM umbrella.
> > But I cannot find how to make a shortcut.
> > Nowhere can I find the relevant WLM icon to make a shortcut from. Obviously
> > I am missing something, somewhere, but what is it?
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you.

> .

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Unable to create shortcut for Windows Live Mail.
In Windows Live Mail you can permanently banish that 'sign-in'
prompt by going to Tools, Options, Connection, click on "Stop
signing in". If you don't see the menu bar, press Alt first.

Also, you can create shortcuts from the main .exe file for any program.
Use Windows Explorer to navigate to
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail, scroll down to wlmail.exe
(the .exe part may be left off if your are using Microsoft's bad default of
hiding extensions), right-click on it, select "Create shortcut".

Note: The newsgroup to which you posted is dedicated to supporting the
Windows Mail program. In the future, please post WLM questions in
its own newsgroup:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...mail .desktop
or via your news reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...e.mail.desktop

--

"Wrinkly" <Wrinkly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90E7E711-6727-4E1F-A3FA-4653547B5658@microsoft.com...
> Gary,
>
> When I replied initially it was to rhlhamelt's advice. At that time your
> contribution wasn't on screen.
>
> Now that I have done what you suggested I still draw a blank. When I go to
> All programs /Windows Live and left click 'empty' appears. So when I right
> click
> send to desktop I do get a shortcut but so does 'this folder is empty'.
>
> I have found a way round it though - an amateurish wasy perhaps but it does
> work. I find that a right click on EMail . Windows Live Mail at the top of
> the Start column, then 'Read email' brings up the sign in to Windows Live
> panel. It needs me to confirm the password but as the account is one that is
> one I don't use I bypass it by clicking on 'cancel' and my WLM appears on
> screen. If you can tell me how to move this panel I would welcome the info.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>

> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> Click Start, All Programs, Windows Live, right-click on Windows Live Mail,
>> select Send To, Desktop. You can do this for any Windows program.
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen
>>

>> "Wrinkly" <Wrinkly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55135145-7509-4044-94EC-5B65F30B06ED@microsoft.com...
>> >I have been using Windows Mail for my Yahoo addresses and by right clicking
>> > on the W.M. icon in the programme list above the start button I put a
>> > shortcut on to the desktop that has been working very well.
>> > Today I have combined Yahoo and Hotmail addresses under the WLM umbrella.
>> > But I cannot find how to make a shortcut.
>> > Nowhere can I find the relevant WLM icon to make a shortcut from. Obviously
>> > I am missing something, somewhere, but what is it?
>> > Any help would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thank you.

>> .

Wrinkly

Re: Unable to create shortcut for Windows Live Mail.
Thanks for all the help Gary. All up and running now.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> In Windows Live Mail you can permanently banish that 'sign-in'
> prompt by going to Tools, Options, Connection, click on "Stop
> signing in". If you don't see the menu bar, press Alt first.
>
> Also, you can create shortcuts from the main .exe file for any program.
> Use Windows Explorer to navigate to
> C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Mail, scroll down to wlmail.exe
> (the .exe part may be left off if your are using Microsoft's bad default of
> hiding extensions), right-click on it, select "Create shortcut".
>
> Note: The newsgroup to which you posted is dedicated to supporting the
> Windows Mail program. In the future, please post WLM questions in
> its own newsgroup:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...mail .desktop
> or via your news reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...e.mail.desktop

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen
>

> "Wrinkly" <Wrinkly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90E7E711-6727-4E1F-A3FA-4653547B5658@microsoft.com...
> > Gary,
> >
> > When I replied initially it was to rhlhamelt's advice. At that time your
> > contribution wasn't on screen.
> >
> > Now that I have done what you suggested I still draw a blank. When I go to
> > All programs /Windows Live and left click 'empty' appears. So when I right
> > click
> > send to desktop I do get a shortcut but so does 'this folder is empty'.
> >
> > I have found a way round it though - an amateurish wasy perhaps but it does
> > work. I find that a right click on EMail . Windows Live Mail at the top of
> > the Start column, then 'Read email' brings up the sign in to Windows Live
> > panel. It needs me to confirm the password but as the account is one that is
> > one I don't use I bypass it by clicking on 'cancel' and my WLM appears on
> > screen. If you can tell me how to move this panel I would welcome the info.
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> >

> > "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
> >
> >> Click Start, All Programs, Windows Live, right-click on Windows Live Mail,
> >> select Send To, Desktop. You can do this for any Windows program.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen

> >> .
> >>

> .

Gary VanderMolen \(MS MVP\)

Re: Unable to create shortcut for Windows Live Mail.
You're very welcome. Thanks for reporting back.