MSN mail

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

ghserv

MSN mail
Now that MSN mail (username@msn.com) is no longer HTTP based and is POP3 is
there some hope of Windows Mail being fixed so that we can use it with our
MSN email? While I realize there is the answer of using Windows Live Mail
there are some of us out here that like Windows Mail a whole lot better.

Re: MSN mail
POP3 access to MSN/Hotmail accounts in Windows Mail has been available
worldwide since the middle of March 2009.

Use the Configuration Settings on this page:
http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog...33!49799.entry

NB: Set Outgoing server (SMTP) to Port 587, not Port 25!

Windows Mail's new account wizard is hard-coded to reject name@hotmail.com
and name@msn.com addresses. When you enter your email address during setup,
use a dummy one (e.g., name@notmail.com). After you've finished, go back
and change the email address to the correct one.

[The above courtesy of MVP Gary VanderMolen]
www.banthecheck.com

ghserv wrote:
> Now that MSN mail (username@msn.com) is no longer HTTP based and is POP3
> is
> there some hope of Windows Mail being fixed so that we can use it with our
> MSN email? While I realize there is the answer of using Windows Live Mail
> there are some of us out here that like Windows Mail a whole lot better.

ghserv

Re: MSN mail
Thanks much! It made my night/morning. Works perfectly. Too bad MSN email
tech support is clueless, would have saved me posting here. Guess this is
where the brains are! You gave me the workaround for my stumbling block, the
hard coded thing and on top of that all the settings I needed. Great job!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> POP3 access to MSN/Hotmail accounts in Windows Mail has been available
> worldwide since the middle of March 2009.
>
> Use the Configuration Settings on this page:
> http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog...33!49799.entry
>
> NB: Set Outgoing server (SMTP) to Port 587, not Port 25!
>
> Windows Mail's new account wizard is hard-coded to reject name@hotmail.com
> and name@msn.com addresses. When you enter your email address during setup,
> use a dummy one (e.g., name@notmail.com). After you've finished, go back
> and change the email address to the correct one.
>
> [The above courtesy of MVP Gary VanderMolen]
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> ghserv wrote:
> > Now that MSN mail (username@msn.com) is no longer HTTP based and is POP3
> > is
> > there some hope of Windows Mail being fixed so that we can use it with our
> > MSN email? While I realize there is the answer of using Windows Live Mail
> > there are some of us out here that like Windows Mail a whole lot better.

Dave

Re: MSN mail
You can still access MSN http email with the newer Windows Live Mail
program.
It uses DeltaSync instead of the discontinued WebDav.

--
Windows 7 RC
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"ghserv" <ghserv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Now that MSN mail (username@msn.com) is no longer HTTP based and is POP3
> is
> there some hope of Windows Mail being fixed so that we can use it with our
> MSN email? While I realize there is the answer of using Windows Live Mail
> there are some of us out here that like Windows Mail a whole lot better.

Re: MSN mail
You're very welcome and Gary & I both thank for the feedback!

ghserv wrote:
> Thanks much! It made my night/morning. Works perfectly. Too bad MSN email
> tech support is clueless, would have saved me posting here. Guess this is
> where the brains are! You gave me the workaround for my stumbling block,
> the
> hard coded thing and on top of that all the settings I needed. Great job!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> POP3 access to MSN/Hotmail accounts in Windows Mail has been available
>> worldwide since the middle of March 2009.
>>
>> Use the Configuration Settings on this page:
>> http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog...33!49799.entry
>>
>> NB: Set Outgoing server (SMTP) to Port 587, not Port 25!
>>
>> Windows Mail's new account wizard is hard-coded to reject
>> name@hotmail.com
>> and name@msn.com addresses. When you enter your email address during
>> setup,
>> use a dummy one (e.g., name@notmail.com). After you've finished, go back
>> and change the email address to the correct one.
>>
>> [The above courtesy of MVP Gary VanderMolen]
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> ghserv wrote:
>>> Now that MSN mail (username@msn.com) is no longer HTTP based and is POP3
>>> is there some hope of Windows Mail being fixed so that we can use it
>>> with our
>>> MSN email? While I realize there is the answer of using Windows Live
>>> Mail
>>> there are some of us out here that like Windows Mail a whole lot better.

ghserv

Re: MSN mail
Dave,

Thanks for replying. I'm guessing what you are saying about Windows Live
Mail is that it has the capability to be set up for both HTTP and POP3
whereas Windows Mail is only usable for POP3. At this point I now only have
email accounts that are POP3 but it is possible I may have a HTTP based email
at some point which would make a client capable of both desirable (I'd still
love to stick with Windows Mail in that case but I doubt that HTTP
functionality will ever be added to it). I have used Windows Live Mail a
number of times recently and I find it usable but not as "nice" as Windows
Mail. I suppose part of that could be related to having been an Outlook
Express user and then using Windows Mail which is a reasonable facsimile of
Outlook Express. Often a "like" for particular software is attributed to
"change" or "age" of the user. While I believe there is some truth to that
there can be more to it than that. I don't care for the physical layout in
Live Mail, find it more difficult to access functions and am not liking
waiting for web pages to load to change settings. I find the layout of
Windows Mail more to my liking and easier to use. I think if "improvement" of
software is the goal then it should be done with modifications of something
that already worked well and people were happy with rather than tossing the
entire thing out and starting with an entirely different thing, unless the
original remains and is still supported giving people a choice. I think
people would prefer to migrate by choice rather than by force.

I have no idea what Windows 7 offers for email but I surely hope Windows
Mail will remain an option with it. If not then that will be one more reason
for me to stick with XP and Vista.

At any rate I am thankful for the willingness of those of you here with the
expertise to donate their time to help those of us needing help. Without your
help we'd be brain damaged from beating our heads against the wall.

"Dave" wrote:

> You can still access MSN http email with the newer Windows Live Mail
> program.
> It uses DeltaSync instead of the discontinued WebDav.
>

> --
> Windows 7 RC
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>
> "ghserv" <ghserv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Now that MSN mail (username@msn.com) is no longer HTTP based and is POP3
> > is
> > there some hope of Windows Mail being fixed so that we can use it with our
> > MSN email? While I realize there is the answer of using Windows Live Mail
> > there are some of us out here that like Windows Mail a whole lot better.

Re: MSN mail
> I have no idea what Windows 7 offers for email but I surely hope Windows
> Mail will remain an option with it.

Win7 doesn't include any default Mail Client.

ghserv wrote:
> [...]
> your help we'd be brain damaged from beating our heads against the wall.
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> You can still access MSN http email with the newer Windows Live Mail
>> program.
>> It uses DeltaSync instead of the discontinued WebDav.
>>

>> --
>> Windows 7 RC
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>>
>> "ghserv" <ghserv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Now that MSN mail (username@msn.com) is no longer HTTP based and is POP3
>>> is
>>> there some hope of Windows Mail being fixed so that we can use it with
>>> our
>>> MSN email? While I realize there is the answer of using Windows Live
>>> Mail
>>> there are some of us out here that like Windows Mail a whole lot better.

Don Dawson

Re: MSN mail
What Win7 client based mail alternatives are there?

Thank you.

dd

>> I have no idea what Windows 7 offers for email but I surely hope Windows
>> Mail will remain an option with it.

> Win7 doesn't include any default Mail Client.

Gary VanderMolen

Re: MSN mail
Windows Live Mail, Outlook 2003 or later, Mozilla Thunderbird.
Windows Mail will run if you apply a hack, but it won't take on certain
'default' chores like handling a MailTo link.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen

"Don Dawson" <notme@somewhere.com> wrote in message news:ezLBn29OKHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> What Win7 client based mail alternatives are there?
>
> Thank you.
>
> dd

>>> I have no idea what Windows 7 offers for email but I surely hope Windows
>>> Mail will remain an option with it.

>> Win7 doesn't include any default Mail Client.

Patrick

Re: MSN mail
Thanks for the setup help you outlined in previous e-mails. I now have my
msn account setup in Windows Mail, (and can send e-mail) However when
attempting to import my mail I get the following after a bit when it is
connected:

inactivity. Account: 'MSN mail', Server: 'pop3.live.com', Protocol: POP3,
Port: 995, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F