stops working until I restart computer

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Stops working have to restart

stops working until I restart computer
I have a new Asus Laptop with Vista. Windows Mail has never worked right.
After startup it only works for a period of time. (Anywhere from 5 minutes
to 1 hour) It then just shows the following error messages. It also will
not send an email until I restart my computer. It always works after a
startup. I have Zone Alarm, but it acted this way before I loaded it. Is
there a setting that should be changed? My internet connection is a Sprint
Mifi. This is quite frustrating. I was able to load previous contacts from
Outlook express without problems.
I appreciate any help. Cheryl

An unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No,
Error Number: 0x800C0148

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server:
'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
0x800C0148
Gary VanderMolen

Re: stops working until I restart computer
"Unknown error" and "Port: 0" are all dead giveaways that your problem is
caused by interference from an antivirus program. Which antivirus are you
running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
explained here:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
http://download.live.com/wlmail

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen

"Stops working have to restart" <Stops working have to restart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18664A84-1756-4162-BBDC-56702740112C@microsoft.com...
>I have a new Asus Laptop with Vista. Windows Mail has never worked right.
> After startup it only works for a period of time. (Anywhere from 5 minutes
> to 1 hour) It then just shows the following error messages. It also will
> not send an email until I restart my computer. It always works after a
> startup. I have Zone Alarm, but it acted this way before I loaded it. Is
> there a setting that should be changed? My internet connection is a Sprint
> Mifi. This is quite frustrating. I was able to load previous contacts from
> Outlook express without problems.
> I appreciate any help. Cheryl
>
> An unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No,
> Error Number: 0x800C0148
>

> An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server:
> 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
> 0x800C0148

Stops working have to restart

Re: stops working until I restart computer
Thank you for your fast response. However, I had this problem before I
installed my antivirus software. Unless there was one installed upon
receiving this laptop that I don't know about. I looked in my start up
programs and did not see one. I installed Zone Alarm and disabled the email
scan from time of installation. Any other suggestions? Thank you

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> "Unknown error" and "Port: 0" are all dead giveaways that your problem is
> caused by interference from an antivirus program. Which antivirus are you
> running?
> As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off,
> although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
> In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.
>
> Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
> explained here:
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>
> If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
> to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
> from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen
>

> "Stops working have to restart" <Stops working have to restart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18664A84-1756-4162-BBDC-56702740112C@microsoft.com...
> >I have a new Asus Laptop with Vista. Windows Mail has never worked right.
> > After startup it only works for a period of time. (Anywhere from 5 minutes
> > to 1 hour) It then just shows the following error messages. It also will
> > not send an email until I restart my computer. It always works after a
> > startup. I have Zone Alarm, but it acted this way before I loaded it. Is
> > there a setting that should be changed? My internet connection is a Sprint
> > Mifi. This is quite frustrating. I was able to load previous contacts from
> > Outlook express without problems.
> > I appreciate any help. Cheryl
> >
> > An unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No,
> > Error Number: 0x800C0148
> >

> > An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server:
> > 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
> > 0x800C0148

Peter Foldes

Re: stops working until I restart computer
Gary is correct. Re-check your settings

It is either Zone Alarm or you did not disable your AV correctly from scanning your
emails. Any other Security programs installed ?

To disable your AV correctly ,you need to uninstall it and then re-install it
without the email integration (scanning) option and reboot.
Zone Alarm also integrates with all mail clients and you have to check that also any
other security programs that scan email. They all have that option

--
Peter

> Thank you for your fast response. However, I had this problem before I
> installed my antivirus software. Unless there was one installed upon
> receiving this laptop that I don't know about. I looked in my start up
> programs and did not see one. I installed Zone Alarm and disabled the email
> scan from time of installation. Any other suggestions? Thank you
>

> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> "Unknown error" and "Port: 0" are all dead giveaways that your problem is
>> caused by interference from an antivirus program. Which antivirus are you
>> running?
>> As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off,
>> although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
>> In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.
>>
>> Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
>> explained here:
>> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>>
>> If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
>> to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
>> from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
>> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen
>>

>> "Stops working have to restart" <Stops working have to
>> restart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a new Asus Laptop with Vista. Windows Mail has never worked right.
>> > After startup it only works for a period of time. (Anywhere from 5 minutes
>> > to 1 hour) It then just shows the following error messages. It also will
>> > not send an email until I restart my computer. It always works after a
>> > startup. I have Zone Alarm, but it acted this way before I loaded it. Is
>> > there a setting that should be changed? My internet connection is a Sprint
>> > Mifi. This is quite frustrating. I was able to load previous contacts from
>> > Outlook express without problems.
>> > I appreciate any help. Cheryl
>> >
>> > An unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No,
>> > Error Number: 0x800C0148
>> >

>> > An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server:
>> > 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
>> > 0x800C0148

Gary VanderMolen

Re: stops working until I restart computer
Most new computers come with a trial copy of either Norton or McAfee
antivirus. Those not only need to be uninstalled, you also have to use the
special removal tool from Norton or McAfee.
Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, to see if there are any
remnants of undesired security programs.

--

"Stops working have to restart" <Stopsworkinghavetorestart@discussions.microsoft.c om> wrote in message news:E83358C0-9203-443E-9D46-6A274CB6C0DE@microsoft.com...
> Thank you for your fast response. However, I had this problem before I
> installed my antivirus software. Unless there was one installed upon
> receiving this laptop that I don't know about. I looked in my start up
> programs and did not see one. I installed Zone Alarm and disabled the email
> scan from time of installation. Any other suggestions? Thank you
>

> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> "Unknown error" and "Port: 0" are all dead giveaways that your problem is
>> caused by interference from an antivirus program. Which antivirus are you
>> running?
>> As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off,
>> although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
>> In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.
>>
>> Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
>> explained here:
>> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>>
>> If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
>> to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
>> from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
>> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen
>>

>> "Stops working have to restart" <Stops working have to restart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18664A84-1756-4162-BBDC-56702740112C@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a new Asus Laptop with Vista. Windows Mail has never worked right.
>> > After startup it only works for a period of time. (Anywhere from 5 minutes
>> > to 1 hour) It then just shows the following error messages. It also will
>> > not send an email until I restart my computer. It always works after a
>> > startup. I have Zone Alarm, but it acted this way before I loaded it. Is
>> > there a setting that should be changed? My internet connection is a Sprint
>> > Mifi. This is quite frustrating. I was able to load previous contacts from
>> > Outlook express without problems.
>> > I appreciate any help. Cheryl
>> >
>> > An unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No,
>> > Error Number: 0x800C0148
>> >

>> > An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server:
>> > 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
>> > 0x800C0148

Stops working have to restart

Re: stops working until I restart computer
I have double checked to see if my computer came installed with an AV program
by your suggestion of going to control panel, programs, and did not find
one.. The zone Alarm email scan is definitely off. Like I mentioned
Windows Mail did this before ZA was installed. Is there some setting? If I
go to windows live will I be able to add my contacts from windows mail? It
seems that WM should work.
Thanks again, Cheryl

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> Most new computers come with a trial copy of either Norton or McAfee
> antivirus. Those not only need to be uninstalled, you also have to use the
> special removal tool from Norton or McAfee.
> Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, to see if there are any
> remnants of undesired security programs.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen
>

> "Stops working have to restart" <Stopsworkinghavetorestart@discussions.microsoft.c om> wrote in message news:E83358C0-9203-443E-9D46-6A274CB6C0DE@microsoft.com...
> > Thank you for your fast response. However, I had this problem before I
> > installed my antivirus software. Unless there was one installed upon
> > receiving this laptop that I don't know about. I looked in my start up
> > programs and did not see one. I installed Zone Alarm and disabled the email
> > scan from time of installation. Any other suggestions? Thank you
> >

> > "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
> >
> >> "Unknown error" and "Port: 0" are all dead giveaways that your problem is
> >> caused by interference from an antivirus program. Which antivirus are you
> >> running?
> >> As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off,
> >> although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
> >> In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.
> >>
> >> Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
> >> explained here:
> >> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
> >>
> >> If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
> >> to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
> >> from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
> >> http://download.live.com/wlmail
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen

Gary VanderMolen

Re: stops working until I restart computer
Windows Mail has not received any development from Microsoft since
July 2006, and no further improvements or bug fixes will be forthcoming.
Microsoft has designated Windows Live Mail as the replacement.
After you install Windows Live Mail, the first time it runs it will import all
your Windows Mail data. You can also continue to use Windows Mail,
thereby being able to evaluate both programs concurrently.
Caution: By default Windows Mail removes messages from the server,
thereby making them unavailable to Windows Live Mail. To fix that
potential problem, in Windows Mail go to Tools, Accounts, select your
mail account, Properties, Advanced, then select "Leave a copy of
messages on server." Depending on how much server space your mail
provider allows, you may want to select one or both of the two associated
'remove' options.

--

"Stops working have to restart" <Stopsworkinghavetorestart@discussions.microsoft.c om> wrote in message news:70D57510-BF4C-4232-A107-BF5CF0BA96AD@microsoft.com...
>I have double checked to see if my computer came installed with an AV program
> by your suggestion of going to control panel, programs, and did not find
> one.. The zone Alarm email scan is definitely off. Like I mentioned
> Windows Mail did this before ZA was installed. Is there some setting? If I
> go to windows live will I be able to add my contacts from windows mail? It
> seems that WM should work.
> Thanks again, Cheryl
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> Most new computers come with a trial copy of either Norton or McAfee
>> antivirus. Those not only need to be uninstalled, you also have to use the
>> special removal tool from Norton or McAfee.
>> Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, to see if there are any
>> remnants of undesired security programs.
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen
>>

>> "Stops working have to restart" <Stopsworkinghavetorestart@discussions.microsoft.c om> wrote in message news:E83358C0-9203-443E-9D46-6A274CB6C0DE@microsoft.com...
>> > Thank you for your fast response. However, I had this problem before I
>> > installed my antivirus software. Unless there was one installed upon
>> > receiving this laptop that I don't know about. I looked in my start up
>> > programs and did not see one. I installed Zone Alarm and disabled the email
>> > scan from time of installation. Any other suggestions? Thank you

Sam Hobbs

Re: stops working until I restart computer
I would look for both Norton and Symantec in the Control Panel. Even if
there is nothing there, I would also check the materials that came with the
computer; the sales brochures and/or the documentation and/or anything else
that lists what software was provided with the system. It seems very likely
that something to do antivirus protection was in your system when you bought
it and I would consider not finding something to be a problem, not a
solution unless I was able to find definitive evidence that there definitely
was nothing.

"Stops working have to restart"
<Stopsworkinghavetorestart@discussions.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
>I have double checked to see if my computer came installed with an AV
>program
> by your suggestion of going to control panel, programs, and did not find
> one.. The zone Alarm email scan is definitely off. Like I mentioned
> Windows Mail did this before ZA was installed. Is there some setting? If
> go to windows live will I be able to add my contacts from windows mail?
> It
> seems that WM should work.
> Thanks again, Cheryl
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> Most new computers come with a trial copy of either Norton or McAfee
>> antivirus. Those not only need to be uninstalled, you also have to use
>> the
>> special removal tool from Norton or McAfee.
>> Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, to see if there are any
>> remnants of undesired security programs.
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen
>>

>> "Stops working have to restart"
>> <Stopsworkinghavetorestart@discussions.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
>> > Thank you for your fast response. However, I had this problem before
>> > installed my antivirus software. Unless there was one installed upon
>> > receiving this laptop that I don't know about. I looked in my start
>> > up
>> > programs and did not see one. I installed Zone Alarm and disabled the
>> > email
>> > scan from time of installation. Any other suggestions? Thank you

Stops working have to restart

Re: stops working until I restart computer
Thank you both for your advise. I finally gave up trying to locate a AV
program that might have been loaded on my computer when purchase. I just got
not fine one in control panel or programs. I went ahead and loaded Windows
Live and it did indeed automatically loaded my contacts. It appears to be
working fine.

Question?? Can I enable my email scan on Zone Alarm with Live? It seems
I'd want to have emails scanned for potential issues?
Thanks for your support.
Cheryl

"Sam Hobbs" wrote:

> I would look for both Norton and Symantec in the Control Panel. Even if
> there is nothing there, I would also check the materials that came with the
> computer; the sales brochures and/or the documentation and/or anything else
> that lists what software was provided with the system. It seems very likely
> that something to do antivirus protection was in your system when you bought
> it and I would consider not finding something to be a problem, not a
> solution unless I was able to find definitive evidence that there definitely
> was nothing.
>

> "Stops working have to restart"
> <Stopsworkinghavetorestart@discussions.microsoft.c om> wrote in message
> >I have double checked to see if my computer came installed with an AV
> >program
> > by your suggestion of going to control panel, programs, and did not find
> > one.. The zone Alarm email scan is definitely off. Like I mentioned
> > Windows Mail did this before ZA was installed. Is there some setting? If
> > go to windows live will I be able to add my contacts from windows mail?
> > It
> > seems that WM should work.
> > Thanks again, Cheryl
> >
> > "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
> >
> >> Most new computers come with a trial copy of either Norton or McAfee
> >> antivirus. Those not only need to be uninstalled, you also have to use
> >> the
> >> special removal tool from Norton or McAfee.
> >> Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, to see if there are any
> >> remnants of undesired security programs.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen
> >>

> >> "Stops working have to restart"

Gary VanderMolen

Re: stops working until I restart computer
Good to hear that my suggestion to try Windows Live Mail was successful.
No, do not enable email scanning. Why email scanning is bad:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

The email scanning function is included in the AV product because all
the competitors include it, and it makes for another bullet on the box for
gullible buyers.

Even Symantec (Norton), the originator of the email scanning concept
admits that it is redundant and unnecessary:

"Is my computer still protected against viruses if I disable Email Scanning?
Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
that are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect
scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email
and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this.
To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto- Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions."

The above paragraph is from http://tinyurl.com/bhsva or original (long) URL
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...= bar_sch_nam

--