Windows Mail can compact message store

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

KathyW

Windows Mail can compact message store
I've read all the posts but still have a question. I do not use windows mail
for my email. I use Hughesnet and Windstream as email servers. Will Windows
Mail still be included somehow and still need to be compacted? I get the
idea that it's a good thing to compact message store but since I never log on
to windows mail I was surprised it would suggest compacting. Thanks for help
--
KathyW
Gary VanderMolen

Re: Windows Mail can compact message store
I assume by "Hughesnet and Windstream as mail servers" you mean
you are using their webmail via your browser. Both of those accounts
can also be set up in Windows Mail. What are you doing that causes
Windows Mail to start up?
Try this:
Open the Default Programs applet, then click on "Set program access
and computer defaults." Expand the Custom selection, and next to
"Windows Mail". uncheck the box for "Enable access to this program".
Click OK. Does that help?

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen

"KathyW" <KathyW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09EA6704-F916-46DC-9532-0AD64FA6AC64@microsoft.com...
> I've read all the posts but still have a question. I do not use windows mail
> for my email. I use Hughesnet and Windstream as email servers. Will Windows
> Mail still be included somehow and still need to be compacted? I get the
> idea that it's a good thing to compact message store but since I never log on
> to windows mail I was surprised it would suggest compacting. Thanks for help
> --
> KathyW

KathyW

Re: Windows Mail can compact message store
Yes, I am using their webmail via my browser but they are not set up in
Windows Mail. It's funny but the popup only happens when I open QuickBooks
Pro. I have not tried your suggestion yet. Thought I'd explain more. Maybe
I'm using Windows Mail and just don't know it. If this is the case then I
should prob not disable it let it compact.
--
KathyW

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> I assume by "Hughesnet and Windstream as mail servers" you mean
> you are using their webmail via your browser. Both of those accounts
> can also be set up in Windows Mail. What are you doing that causes
> Windows Mail to start up?
> Try this:
> Open the Default Programs applet, then click on "Set program access
> and computer defaults." Expand the Custom selection, and next to
> "Windows Mail". uncheck the box for "Enable access to this program".
> Click OK. Does that help?
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen
>

> "KathyW" <KathyW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09EA6704-F916-46DC-9532-0AD64FA6AC64@microsoft.com...
> > I've read all the posts but still have a question. I do not use windows mail
> > for my email. I use Hughesnet and Windstream as email servers. Will Windows
> > Mail still be included somehow and still need to be compacted? I get the
> > idea that it's a good thing to compact message store but since I never log on
> > to windows mail I was surprised it would suggest compacting. Thanks for help
> > --
> > KathyW

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Windows Mail can compact message store
I know next to nothing about QuickBooks, but it is likely that it calls
the default email program. Try what I suggested, it can't hurt.
If necessary, you can always undo that change.

--

"KathyW" <KathyW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F0EAF8F-C8C1-4053-8BDD-F677FF081FA7@microsoft.com...
> Yes, I am using their webmail via my browser but they are not set up in
> Windows Mail. It's funny but the popup only happens when I open QuickBooks
> Pro. I have not tried your suggestion yet. Thought I'd explain more. Maybe
> I'm using Windows Mail and just don't know it. If this is the case then I
> should prob not disable it let it compact.
> --
> KathyW
>

> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> I assume by "Hughesnet and Windstream as mail servers" you mean
>> you are using their webmail via your browser. Both of those accounts
>> can also be set up in Windows Mail. What are you doing that causes
>> Windows Mail to start up?
>> Try this:
>> Open the Default Programs applet, then click on "Set program access
>> and computer defaults." Expand the Custom selection, and next to
>> "Windows Mail". uncheck the box for "Enable access to this program".
>> Click OK. Does that help?
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen
>>

>> "KathyW" <KathyW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09EA6704-F916-46DC-9532-0AD64FA6AC64@microsoft.com...
>> > I've read all the posts but still have a question. I do not use windows mail
>> > for my email. I use Hughesnet and Windstream as email servers. Will Windows
>> > Mail still be included somehow and still need to be compacted? I get the
>> > idea that it's a good thing to compact message store but since I never log on
>> > to windows mail I was surprised it would suggest compacting. Thanks for help
>> > --
>> > KathyW

KathyW

Re: Windows Mail can compact message store
I did as you suggested and the pop up did not return when I opened QB again.
Guess that took care of it. Thanks!
--
KathyW

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> I know next to nothing about QuickBooks, but it is likely that it calls
> the default email program. Try what I suggested, it can't hurt.
> If necessary, you can always undo that change.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen
>

> "KathyW" <KathyW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F0EAF8F-C8C1-4053-8BDD-F677FF081FA7@microsoft.com...
> > Yes, I am using their webmail via my browser but they are not set up in
> > Windows Mail. It's funny but the popup only happens when I open QuickBooks
> > Pro. I have not tried your suggestion yet. Thought I'd explain more. Maybe
> > I'm using Windows Mail and just don't know it. If this is the case then I
> > should prob not disable it let it compact.
> > --
> > KathyW
> >

> > "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
> >
> >> I assume by "Hughesnet and Windstream as mail servers" you mean
> >> you are using their webmail via your browser. Both of those accounts
> >> can also be set up in Windows Mail. What are you doing that causes
> >> Windows Mail to start up?
> >> Try this:
> >> Open the Default Programs applet, then click on "Set program access
> >> and computer defaults." Expand the Custom selection, and next to
> >> "Windows Mail". uncheck the box for "Enable access to this program".
> >> Click OK. Does that help?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Windows Mail can compact message store
You're very welcome. Thanks for reporting back. Now we can confidently
offer that fix to the next user with the same problem.