Remove Windows Mail Completely

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Richardw

Remove Windows Mail Completely
Hi All,

Does anybody know of a way that I can completely remove windows mail, and
windows contacts and calendar? I don't want these cluttering up my system as
I use Office to do all these functions. I have tried using the Programs and
features thing in control panel, but this had no useful areas.

Cheers

Richard
Joel Poudrier

Re: Remove Windows Mail Completely

Richard,

When/if you get an answer on how to get rid of/disable "Windows Mail"
in Vista, please CC me at jpoudrier@comcast.net. I know it's part of
the Vista OS and won't let you set any other mail program (such as
Thunderbird) as default. You can try! But when you go to Windows Mail
options, it won't let you "un-select" as the default email. Another
case of microsoft trapping you with a crappy program. I still use
Thunderbird all the time, but I get that irritating default question
every time I open it.

Good luck and please let me know!

Semper Fi,

Joel

--
Joel Poudrier
Iuvenalis

"Joel Poudrier" <Joel.Poudrier.2puvy0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Richard,
>
> When/if you get an answer on how to get rid of/disable "Windows Mail"
> in Vista, please CC me at jpoudrier@comcast.net. I know it's part of
> the Vista OS and won't let you set any other mail program (such as
> Thunderbird) as default. You can try! But when you go to Windows Mail
> options, it won't let you "un-select" as the default email. Another
> case of microsoft trapping you with a crappy program. I still use
> Thunderbird all the time, but I get that irritating default question
> every time I open it.

All you need to do is set Thunderbird as the the default email/News/RSS
application if that's what you want & delete the shortcuts to Windows Mail
from the start menu.
Thunderbird will then open when you click on Mailto: links etc.
I have done this myself on other systems.

If you look at Thunderbird, or any other email app for that matter, there is
usually a choice to make that app the default.
There aren't many apps ( I can't think of one right now) which have the
option to "unassociate" that program as default..you normally change the
association by choosing another app as the default.

You can also change the settings vis the IE options.

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Remove Windows Mail Completely
You can remove the shortcuts and buttons. Why would you want to
remove it entirely (if that were possible)? You don't remove a car radio
from a car just because you only listen to your IPod.

Gary VanderMolen

Iuvenalis;292586 Wrote:
> "Joel Poudrier" <Joel.Poudrier.2puvy0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Richard,
> >
> > When/if you get an answer on how to get rid of/disable "Windows Mail"
> > in Vista, please CC me at jpoudrier@comcast.net. I know it's part of
> > the Vista OS and won't let you set any other mail program (such as
> > Thunderbird) as default. You can try! But when you go to Windows

> Mail
> > options, it won't let you "un-select" as the default email. Another
> > case of microsoft trapping you with a crappy program. I still use
> > Thunderbird all the time, but I get that irritating default question
> > every time I open it.

> All you need to do is set Thunderbird as the the default email/News/RSS
> application if that's what you want & delete the shortcuts to Windows
> Mail
> from the start menu.
> Thunderbird will then open when you click on Mailto: links etc.
> I have done this myself on other systems.
>
> If you look at Thunderbird, or any other email app for that matter,
> there is
> usually a choice to make that app the default.
> There aren't many apps ( I can't think of one right now) which have the
> option to "unassociate" that program as default..you normally change
> the
> association by choosing another app as the default.
>
> You can also change the settings vis the IE options.

Iuvenalis,

Thanks for the replay. Unfortunately, I've tried to set Thunderbird as
the default email/news/RSS app., but it won't stay set. It's like it
keeps "unselecting itself" (I've tried to set it about 30 times). My
assumption is that my desire to set T-bird as default is over-ridden by
the demand that Vista sets to make Windows Mail the default. Any other
suggetions? Thank you again. Joel

--
Joel Poudrier
Iuvenalis

"Joel Poudrier" <Joel.Poudrier.2pwmg1@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Iuvenalis;292586 Wrote:
>> "Joel Poudrier" <Joel.Poudrier.2puvy0@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Richard,
>> >
>> > When/if you get an answer on how to get rid of/disable "Windows Mail"
>> > in Vista, please CC me at jpoudrier@comcast.net. I know it's part of
>> > the Vista OS and won't let you set any other mail program (such as
>> > Thunderbird) as default. You can try! But when you go to Windows

>> Mail
>> > options, it won't let you "un-select" as the default email. Another
>> > case of microsoft trapping you with a crappy program. I still use
>> > Thunderbird all the time, but I get that irritating default question
>> > every time I open it.

>> All you need to do is set Thunderbird as the the default email/News/RSS
>> application if that's what you want & delete the shortcuts to Windows
>> Mail
>> from the start menu.
>> Thunderbird will then open when you click on Mailto: links etc.
>> I have done this myself on other systems.
>>
>> If you look at Thunderbird, or any other email app for that matter,
>> there is
>> usually a choice to make that app the default.
>> There aren't many apps ( I can't think of one right now) which have the
>> option to "unassociate" that program as default..you normally change
>> the
>> association by choosing another app as the default.
>>
>> You can also change the settings vis the IE options.

> Iuvenalis,
>
> Thanks for the replay. Unfortunately, I've tried to set Thunderbird as
> the default email/news/RSS app., but it won't stay set. It's like it
> keeps "unselecting itself" (I've tried to set it about 30 times). My
> assumption is that my desire to set T-bird as default is over-ridden by
> the demand that Vista sets to make Windows Mail the default. Any other
> suggetions? Thank you again. Joel

I can't explain why you are having this problem but I have never seen it.
As I said, I have personally selected TB as the default client on a few
machines & Vista has not protested.
All mailto links point to TB.
I think it is a problem with your installation as this is not by design.

Richardw

Re: Remove Windows Mail Completely
I want to completely remove it because our business policy does not allow
users to access anything other can our coporate mail system and we use Citrix
to provide users with their applications. If it is still there then the
cunning little buggers may find a way to access it. On XP you were always
able to remove Oulook Express and if you can't remove this then it is very
shortsighted of microsoft.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> You can remove the shortcuts and buttons. Why would you want to
> remove it entirely (if that were possible)? You don't remove a car radio
> from a car just because you only listen to your IPod.
>
> Gary VanderMolen
>
> "Richardw" <Richardw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C82E674-6104-4962-B9BD-9EA4CBC0653B@microsoft.com...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Does anybody know of a way that I can completely remove windows mail, and
> > windows contacts and calendar? I don't want these cluttering up my system as
> > I use Office to do all these functions. I have tried using the Programs and
> > features thing in control panel, but this had no useful areas.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Richard

Steve Cochran

Re: Remove Windows Mail Completely
You need to block the SMTP and POP3 and NNTP ports and then they can't use
WinMail for anything then.

And you cannot remove OE from XP either. It will hide the shortcuts to OE,
but it won't remove it.

steve

>I want to completely remove it because our business policy does not allow
> users to access anything other can our coporate mail system and we use
> Citrix
> to provide users with their applications. If it is still there then the
> cunning little buggers may find a way to access it. On XP you were always
> able to remove Oulook Express and if you can't remove this then it is very
> shortsighted of microsoft.
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> You can remove the shortcuts and buttons. Why would you want to
>> remove it entirely (if that were possible)? You don't remove a car radio
>> from a car just because you only listen to your IPod.
>>
>> Gary VanderMolen
>>
>> "Richardw" <Richardw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > Does anybody know of a way that I can completely remove windows mail,
>> > and
>> > windows contacts and calendar? I don't want these cluttering up my
>> > system as
>> > I use Office to do all these functions. I have tried using the Programs
>> > and
>> > features thing in control panel, but this had no useful areas.
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> >
>> > Richard

Richardw

Re: Remove Windows Mail Completely
Why can't you remove it? What possible reason can there be for not allowing
users to remove any part of the system that is superfluous the their
requirments?

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

> You need to block the SMTP and POP3 and NNTP ports and then they can't use
> WinMail for anything then.
>
> And you cannot remove OE from XP either. It will hide the shortcuts to OE,
> but it won't remove it.
>
> steve
>
> "Richardw" <Richardw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want to completely remove it because our business policy does not allow
> > users to access anything other can our coporate mail system and we use
> > Citrix
> > to provide users with their applications. If it is still there then the
> > cunning little buggers may find a way to access it. On XP you were always
> > able to remove Oulook Express and if you can't remove this then it is very
> > shortsighted of microsoft.
> >
> > "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
> >
> >> You can remove the shortcuts and buttons. Why would you want to
> >> remove it entirely (if that were possible)? You don't remove a car radio
> >> from a car just because you only listen to your IPod.
> >>
> >> Gary VanderMolen

Steve Cochran

Re: Remove Windows Mail Completely
I don't have answers to the rationale Microsoft uses for such decisions.

steve