importing outlook pst-files and Mozilla Thunderbird-files into Windows Mail

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Wiver

importing outlook pst-files and Mozilla Thunderbird-files into Windows Mail
1. On my old laptop (Windows XP) I first used MS Office 2003, I then
installed MS Office 2007 Student and Home. Before uninstalling Office 2003 I
stored some Outlook pst-files (e-mail, contacts and archive files). How can
I import these files into Windows Mail/Contacts on my new laptop (Windows
Vista/MS Office 2007 H&S). I tried Windows Easy Transfer, but it didn't
work.
2. How can I import Mozilla Thunderbird files (e-mail, contacts) from the
old laptop into Windows Mail/Contacts on the new one? The wizzard does not
give the opportunity to select Thunderbird files.
Thanks
Wiver

Dave

Re: importing outlook pst-files and Mozilla Thunderbird-files into Windows Mail
1. Windows Mail cannot import a .pst file unless Outlook is installed on the
Vista computer. You can install Outlook, copy the .pst to the Vista
computer, open the .pst
with Outlook, then you can import into Windows Mail.

Or,
If you have Outlook installed on an XP computer, import the .pst data into
Outlook Express, copy the .dbx files and .wab file to the Vista computer,
and import into Windows Mail.

2. Get the ImportExport message extension for Thunderbird and install it...
http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html

Tbird:
highlight a folder
Tools - Import/Export in mbox/eml format - Export all messages in the
folder - EML format
pick a location to save the files
OK
the files will be saved in a subfolder
(do this for all the folders)

Windows Mail/Windows Live Mail:
File - Import - Messages - Windows Mail 7/Windows Live Mail
select the folder location you saved the files to
next
All folders
next
Finish

--
Windows 7 RC
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Wiver" <wim.verlaeckt@telenet.be> wrote in message
> 1. On my old laptop (Windows XP) I first used MS Office 2003, I then
> installed MS Office 2007 Student and Home. Before uninstalling Office 2003
> I stored some Outlook pst-files (e-mail, contacts and archive files). How
> can I import these files into Windows Mail/Contacts on my new laptop
> (Windows Vista/MS Office 2007 H&S). I tried Windows Easy Transfer, but it
> didn't work.
> 2. How can I import Mozilla Thunderbird files (e-mail, contacts) from the
> old laptop into Windows Mail/Contacts on the new one? The wizzard does not
> give the opportunity to select Thunderbird files.
> Thanks
> Wiver

yeie32yy

Re: importing outlook pst-files and Mozilla Thunderbird-files into Windows Mail

"Wiver" <wim.verlaeckt@telenet.be> schreef in bericht
> 1. On my old laptop (Windows XP) I first used MS Office 2003, I then
> installed MS Office 2007 Student and Home. Before uninstalling Office 2003
> I stored some Outlook pst-files (e-mail, contacts and archive files). How
> can I import these files into Windows Mail/Contacts on my new laptop
> (Windows Vista/MS Office 2007 H&S). I tried Windows Easy Transfer, but it
> didn't work.
> 2. How can I import Mozilla Thunderbird files (e-mail, contacts) from the
> old laptop into Windows Mail/Contacts on the new one? The wizzard does not
> give the opportunity to select Thunderbird files.
> Thanks
> Wiver

Jakpenn

Re: importing outlook pst-files and Mozilla Thunderbird-files into Windows Mail

installed trial version of outlook; exported contacts, try to import,
but .pst file not an option...help please

--
Jakpenn
Gary VanderMolen

Re: importing outlook pst-files and Mozilla Thunderbird-files into Windows Mail
Export of contacts should have produced a CSV file, not PST.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen

"Jakpenn" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:2302b43eb7a8aa6fda88cbdb3528aec8@nntp-gateway.com...

> installed trial version of outlook; exported contacts, try to import,
> but .pst file not an option...help please
>

> --
> Jakpenn

jclipper

"Wiver" wrote:

> 1. On my old laptop (Windows XP) I first used MS Office 2003, I then
> installed MS Office 2007 Student and Home. Before uninstalling Office 2003 I
> stored some Outlook pst-files (e-mail, contacts and archive files). How can
> I import these files into Windows Mail/Contacts on my new laptop (Windows
> Vista/MS Office 2007 H&S). I tried Windows Easy Transfer, but it didn't
> work.
> 2. How can I import Mozilla Thunderbird files (e-mail, contacts) from the
> old laptop into Windows Mail/Contacts on the new one? The wizzard does not
> give the opportunity to select Thunderbird files.
> Thanks
> Wiver

slk759

Re: importing outlook pst-files and Mozilla Thunderbird-files into Win
Windows Mail will not open PST files - did you try opening the PSTs on the
laptop and "exporting" the messages? (Yes, you'll have to sort it all out
on the new PC manually and put in appropriate folders.)

"jclipper" <jclipper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news57CAD02-5D98-42BC-B76E-CED706FFB1B8@microsoft.com...

> "Wiver" wrote:
>
>> 1. On my old laptop (Windows XP) I first used MS Office 2003, I then
>> installed MS Office 2007 Student and Home. Before uninstalling Office
>> 2003 I
>> stored some Outlook pst-files (e-mail, contacts and archive files). How
>> can
>> I import these files into Windows Mail/Contacts on my new laptop (Windows
>> Vista/MS Office 2007 H&S). I tried Windows Easy Transfer, but it didn't
>> work.
>> 2. How can I import Mozilla Thunderbird files (e-mail, contacts) from the
>> old laptop into Windows Mail/Contacts on the new one? The wizzard does
>> not
>> give the opportunity to select Thunderbird files.
>> Thanks
>> Wiver

Pensioner

Re: importing outlook pst-files and Mozilla Thunderbird-files into
Hello

I have looked through all the replies and they are a bit too technical for
me. Could anyone explain in words of one syllable how to import from
Thunderbird to Windows Mail. Well actually if it is possible at all. If not
I will carry on using Thunderbird.

Pam Mcdonald

"Dave" wrote:

> 1. Windows Mail cannot import a .pst file unless Outlook is installed on the
> Vista computer. You can install Outlook, copy the .pst to the Vista
> computer, open the .pst
> with Outlook, then you can import into Windows Mail.
>
> Or,
> If you have Outlook installed on an XP computer, import the .pst data into
> Outlook Express, copy the .dbx files and .wab file to the Vista computer,
> and import into Windows Mail.
>
> 2. Get the ImportExport message extension for Thunderbird and install it...
> http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html
>
> Tbird:
> highlight a folder
> Tools - Import/Export in mbox/eml format - Export all messages in the
> folder - EML format
> pick a location to save the files
> OK
> the files will be saved in a subfolder
> (do this for all the folders)
>
> Windows Mail/Windows Live Mail:
> File - Import - Messages - Windows Mail 7/Windows Live Mail
> select the folder location you saved the files to
> next
> All folders
> next
> Finish
>

> --
> Windows 7 RC
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>
> "Wiver" <wim.verlaeckt@telenet.be> wrote in message
> > 1. On my old laptop (Windows XP) I first used MS Office 2003, I then
> > installed MS Office 2007 Student and Home. Before uninstalling Office 2003
> > I stored some Outlook pst-files (e-mail, contacts and archive files). How
> > can I import these files into Windows Mail/Contacts on my new laptop
> > (Windows Vista/MS Office 2007 H&S). I tried Windows Easy Transfer, but it
> > didn't work.
> > 2. How can I import Mozilla Thunderbird files (e-mail, contacts) from the
> > old laptop into Windows Mail/Contacts on the new one? The wizzard does not
> > give the opportunity to select Thunderbird files.
> > Thanks
> > Wiver

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Re: importing outlook pst-files and Mozilla Thunderbird-files into
If I'm not mistaken, there is an import/export add-on for Thunderbird.
You should probably ask in a Thunderbird forum. Not many Thunderbird experts here.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"Pensioner" wrote in message news:27A434EE-8051-45FF-989F-65A7595D7F73@microsoft.com...

Hello

I have looked through all the replies and they are a bit too technical for
me. Could anyone explain in words of one syllable how to import from
Thunderbird to Windows Mail. Well actually if it is possible at all. If not
I will carry on using Thunderbird.

Pam Mcdonald

Dave

Re: importing outlook pst-files and Mozilla Thunderbird-files into
Yes, it's possible.
Follow the steps for #2 in my post below.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, perhaps you could get someone to
assist you.

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)