Outlook Express - Outbox

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

=?Utf-8?B?Tm9yZWVu?=

Outlook Express - Outbox
Help. For 2 weeks now I have not been able to send messages via Outlook
express. The messages just sit in my OUTBOX.
How do I fix this problem?
Ron Sommer

Re: Outlook Express - Outbox
From another post:
--
Ronald Sommer

Do the following for the Outbox, and if the problem persists, repeat for
Sent Items after you move any messages you wish to save to a local folder
you create.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put the
location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write
the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

With OE closed, find the DBX file for the folder in question {Outbox.dbx}
and delete it. A new one will be created automatically when you open OE.

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your
mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Noreen" <Noreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Help. For 2 weeks now I have not been able to send messages via Outlook
: express. The messages just sit in my OUTBOX.
: How do I fix this problem?

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Re: Outlook Express - Outbox
"Noreen" <Noreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help. For 2 weeks now I have not been able to send messages via Outlook
> express. The messages just sit in my OUTBOX.
> How do I fix this problem?

This newsgroup is for Windows Mail on Vista.
Viusta cannot run Outlook Express.
See
Tell them your Outlook Express and Windows versions.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Do not send mail.

=?Utf-8?B?Tm9yZWVu?=

Re: Outlook Express - Outbox
Thanks....but I made an error. I meant to say WINDOWS MAIL not Outlook
Express.
Emails I send sit in my OUTBOX in Windows Mail. HELP!

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> From another post:
> --
> Ronald Sommer
>
> Do the following for the Outbox, and if the problem persists, repeat for
> Sent Items after you move any messages you wish to save to a local folder
> you create.
>
> Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
> your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
> location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put the
> location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write
> the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.
>
> In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
> marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
> Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
> Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.
>
> With OE closed, find the DBX file for the folder in question {Outbox.dbx}
> and delete it. A new one will be created automatically when you open OE.
>
> General precautions for Outlook Express:
>
> Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
> corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your
> mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
> folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.
>
> After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
> working *offline* and do it often.
>
> Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
> open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
> Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
> the compacting is completed.
>
> Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
> of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
> time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
> continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
>
> In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
> leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Outlook Express
> ~IB-CA~
>

> "Noreen" <Noreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> : Help. For 2 weeks now I have not been able to send messages via Outlook
> : express. The messages just sit in my OUTBOX.
> : How do I fix this problem?

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Outlook Express - Outbox
Four suggestions:
1.Temporarily uninstall your antivirus program. Reboot, and try sending.
2. If it still doesn't work, create a new email account with the same
settings as the old one. Delete the old account. Try sending.
3. If it still doesn't work, try the database deletion/regeneration method.
(Look for recent posts by Steve Cochran for details.)
4. If you don't want to try #3, your only other option is to switch to
a different email program until such time as MS comes out with a fix.

Gary VanderMolen

"Noreen" <Noreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B54BDEE4-B762-40C9-ADE0-E7CF879BDD96@microsoft.com...
> Thanks....but I made an error. I meant to say WINDOWS MAIL not Outlook
> Express.
> Emails I send sit in my OUTBOX in Windows Mail. HELP!
>

> "Ron Sommer" wrote:
>
>> From another post:
>> --
>> Ronald Sommer
>>
>> Do the following for the Outbox, and if the problem persists, repeat for
>> Sent Items after you move any messages you wish to save to a local folder
>> you create.
>>
>> Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
>> your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
>> location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put the
>> location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write
>> the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.
>>
>> In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
>> marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
>> Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
>> Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.
>>
>> With OE closed, find the DBX file for the folder in question {Outbox.dbx}
>> and delete it. A new one will be created automatically when you open OE.
>>
>> General precautions for Outlook Express:
>>
>> Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
>> corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your
>> mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
>> folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.
>>
>> After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
>> working *offline* and do it often.
>>
>> Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
>> open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
>> Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
>> the compacting is completed.
>>
>> Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
>> of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
>> time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
>> continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
>> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
>>
>> In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
>> leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
>> --
>> Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP Outlook Express
>> ~IB-CA~
>>

>> "Noreen" <Noreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> : Help. For 2 weeks now I have not been able to send messages via Outlook
>> : express. The messages just sit in my OUTBOX.
>> : How do I fix this problem?

Steve Cochran

Re: Outlook Express - Outbox
wrong NG. Looks like we all are doing it. <G>

steve

"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
> From another post:
> --
> Ronald Sommer
>
> Do the following for the Outbox, and if the problem persists, repeat for
> Sent Items after you move any messages you wish to save to a local folder
> you create.
>
> Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
> your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
> location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then Start | Run | Ctrl+V will put the
> location in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise,
> write
> the location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.
>
> In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
> marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
> Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
> Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.
>
> With OE closed, find the DBX file for the folder in question {Outbox.dbx}
> and delete it. A new one will be created automatically when you open OE.
>
> General precautions for Outlook Express:
>
> Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
> corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move
> your
> mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
> folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.
>
> After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
> working *offline* and do it often.
>
> Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
> open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
> Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything
> until
> the compacting is completed.
>
> Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
> layer
> of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
> time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
> continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
>
> In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background
> and
> leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Outlook Express
> ~IB-CA~
>

> "Noreen" <Noreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> : Help. For 2 weeks now I have not been able to send messages via Outlook
> : express. The messages just sit in my OUTBOX.
> : How do I fix this problem?

Steve Cochran

Re: Outlook Express - Outbox
First thing is to remove McAfee or Norton AV and antispam from the computer
if they exist. You may need to visit their website to fully uninstall the
product (for Norton see here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039.
Then get something less invasive. There are a number of free
antivirus programs, but with any you have to disable email scanning. See
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

You can also try compacting and repairing the database using my WMUtil
program (www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/).

After that, the only solution so far is to wipe out the database. So go to
Tools | Options | Advanced | Maintenance | Store Folder to find the message
store location. Then move everything under that Windows Mail directory to
another directory, so that the Windows Mail directory is completely empty.
Then restart WinMail and it will open fresh with nothing
in the database. You can then add your accounts and if they work correctly
then you can drag messages from the directory to which you moved the files
back into WinMail.

steve

> [...]
>> layer
>> of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such
>> as
>> time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
>> continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
>> http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
>>
>> In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background
>> and
>> leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
>> --
>> Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP Outlook Express
>> ~IB-CA~
>>

>> "Noreen" <Noreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> : Help. For 2 weeks now I have not been able to send messages via
>> Outlook
>> : express. The messages just sit in my OUTBOX.

=?Utf-8?B?Q0Y=?=

RE: Outlook Express - Outbox
Here is what I did, which may be a bit more lengthy than what most people
need to do due to the Vista user problems my version has. Most people should
be able to go to Computer, C Drive, Users, select their user name, and see
the AppData file from there, and I cannot.

I went to start
in the start search area (just above start) I entered C:\Users\my user
name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail (note that Windows Mail must be
written as two separate words)
I clicked on Windows Mail at the top of the list page
I selected WindowsMail.MSMessageStore and pasted a copy in my documents
(just in case)
then deleted the file
I opened the Backup folder
then Opened the New folder
Deleted the WindowsMail.MSMessageStore in this folder
Closed out of everything and then upon opening Windows Mail it restores
itself and also gives you several "restore" folders under the default folders.
I then proceeded to input my emails into the folders by copy and pasting (I
did notice a note online while searching that stated it is not a good idea to
copy and paste several emails at once as this action can cause another
"ghost" email, it also stated that doing anything too fast can cause this
problem.)

I hope this helps. I am more than happy to save anyone and everyone from
having the problems I've had.
CF