Digital ID

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

krell

Digital ID
Hi,
When I try to send mail with Windows Mail, I get the following message:

You do not have a digital ID. If you send this message, it will be sent
properly, but you will not be able to read it in your sent items folder. Send
anyway?

When Windows Mail is open, and I go to Tools> Options> Security> Digital
IDs> Personal> nothing is there.
Above this is a choice of Intended Purposes. I have selected ALL.

If I click on the Import> Welcome to Certificate Import Wizard> Next> I am
asked for a file name. I don't know the name of the file name.

Alternatively, I can click the BROWSE button. I don't know where to look
for the certificate in my files.

Whereas I don't know the name of the file, I can neither type it in where
requested, nor use my computer file search function to locate it in my files.

Can you advise me what to do?

I am using Vista Home Premium 32bit Service Pack 2 OS

Thanks.

mac

Re: Digital ID

"krell" <krell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> When I try to send mail with Windows Mail, I get the following message:
>
> You do not have a digital ID. If you send this message, it will be sent
> properly, but you will not be able to read it in your sent items folder.
> Send
> anyway?
>
> When Windows Mail is open, and I go to Tools> Options> Security> Digital
> IDs> Personal> nothing is there.
> Above this is a choice of Intended Purposes. I have selected ALL.
>
> If I click on the Import> Welcome to Certificate Import Wizard> Next> I am
> asked for a file name. I don't know the name of the file name.
>
> Alternatively, I can click the BROWSE button. I don't know where to look
> for the certificate in my files.
>
> Whereas I don't know the name of the file, I can neither type it in where
> requested, nor use my computer file search function to locate it in my
> files.
>
> Can you advise me what to do?
>
> I am using Vista Home Premium 32bit Service Pack 2 OS
>
> Thanks.

Go to the Security tab and remove the checkmark from "Digitally sign all
outgoing messages">Apply>OK

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

krell

Re: Digital ID

"mac" wrote:

> "krell" <krell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > When I try to send mail with Windows Mail, I get the following message:
> >
> > You do not have a digital ID. If you send this message, it will be sent
> > properly, but you will not be able to read it in your sent items folder.
> > Send
> > anyway?
> >
> > When Windows Mail is open, and I go to Tools> Options> Security> Digital
> > IDs> Personal> nothing is there.
> > Above this is a choice of Intended Purposes. I have selected ALL.
> >
> > If I click on the Import> Welcome to Certificate Import Wizard> Next> I am
> > asked for a file name. I don't know the name of the file name.
> >
> > Alternatively, I can click the BROWSE button. I don't know where to look
> > for the certificate in my files.
> >
> > Whereas I don't know the name of the file, I can neither type it in where
> > requested, nor use my computer file search function to locate it in my
> > files.
> >
> > Can you advise me what to do?
> >
> > I am using Vista Home Premium 32bit Service Pack 2 OS
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Go to the Security tab and remove the checkmark from "Digitally sign all
> outgoing messages">Apply>OK
>

> --
> Regards Steve.
> MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.
> http://www.getsafeonline.org/
>

> Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I had already done what you suggested, but I still
get the same message as described above. I would think this would be the
solution, too, but it isn't.

>> Hi Steve,

> Thanks for your reply. I had already done what you suggested, but I still
> get the same message as described above. I would think this would be the
> solution, too, but it isn't.

Do you have any unsent messages in the Outbox, if so move them to the drafts
folder.
WM might be still trying to send a digitally signed message?

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

krell

Re: Digital ID

"mac" wrote:

> "krell" <krell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> >> Hi Steve,

> > Thanks for your reply. I had already done what you suggested, but I still
> > get the same message as described above. I would think this would be the
> > solution, too, but it isn't.
> >

> Do you have any unsent messages in the Outbox, if so move them to the drafts
> folder.
> WM might be still trying to send a digitally signed message?
>
> --
> Regards Steve.
> MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.
> http://www.getsafeonline.org/
>

> Well, I checked and there were no messages in the Outbox. I also deleted the my Sent Messages, thinking that might help, but still no luck.

I wonder if there is any issue in Windows Mail regarding profiles, and if
so, whether that might cause this problem.

I just did a complete system recovery two days ago, so I don't understand
why this is an issue.

I know many problems with Windows Mail are finally solved by installing
Windows Live Mail, but this is something I really don't want to do.

Do you have any more ideas? Your help is appreciated.

>> Well, I checked and there were no messages in the Outbox. I also deleted
>> the my Sent Messages, thinking that might help, but still no luck.

> I wonder if there is any issue in Windows Mail regarding profiles, and if
> so, whether that might cause this problem.
>
> I just did a complete system recovery two days ago, so I don't understand
> why this is an issue.
>
> I know many problems with Windows Mail are finally solved by installing
> Windows Live Mail, but this is something I really don't want to do.
>
> Do you have any more ideas? Your help is appreciated.
> Thanks.

It looks like the setting is not sticking within the registry?

Try selecting the Use Digital signature setting on the Security tab>apply>OK

Close WM

Open WM and remove the check mark>apply>OK

Close and reopen WM, do a test send message?

If this fails you might also try to kick the registry setting into action,
by doing the above with a restart of the machine between changes in the
setting?

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

mac

Re: Digital ID

" mac" <macknever@fsmail.net> wrote in message

> It looks like the setting is not sticking within the registry?
>
> Try selecting the Use Digital signature setting on the Security
> tab>apply>OK
>
> Close WM
>
> Open WM and remove the check mark>apply>OK
>
> Close and reopen WM, do a test send message?
>
> If this fails you might also try to kick the registry setting into action,
> by doing the above with a restart of the machine between changes in the
> setting?

If the above fails to rectify the problem, there is an option on the tools
menu of a new mail window to disable Digital sig on a per mail option.

The setting in the registry is at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Mail

The value should be 0 (zero) off, 1 on.

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

krell

Re: Digital ID

"mac" wrote:

> " mac" <macknever@fsmail.net> wrote in message
>
> > It looks like the setting is not sticking within the registry?
> >
> > Try selecting the Use Digital signature setting on the Security
> > tab>apply>OK
> >
> > Close WM
> >
> > Open WM and remove the check mark>apply>OK
> >
> > Close and reopen WM, do a test send message?
> >
> > If this fails you might also try to kick the registry setting into action,
> > by doing the above with a restart of the machine between changes in the
> > setting?

> If the above fails to rectify the problem, there is an option on the tools
> menu of a new mail window to disable Digital sig on a per mail option.
>
> The setting in the registry is at
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Mail
>
> The value should be 0 (zero) off, 1 on.
>

> --
> Regards Steve.
> MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.
> http://www.getsafeonline.org/

I checked the box Digitally sign all outgoing messages, closed Windows Mail,
and restarted the computer.
I opened Windows Mail, unchecked the box, closed Windows Mail, restarted the
computer again, opened Windows Mail as Administrator, and then attempted to
send an email. No luck!

I opened the registry, and went to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Mail and in the column on
the right saw:
Digitally Sign Messages and that had a value of (0).
I also saw:
Include Certificate and that had a value of (0).

I think these are what you were referring to.

I still haven't solved the problem.

When I go to the Windows Mail folder location, and click on Properties>
Security> Advanced> Edit> and click on my account name and Sytem and
Administrators, the permissions are for "This Object Only."

I know very little about permissions. Are you knowledgeable about that?

I cannot think what else to do.

> I opened the registry, and went to
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Mail and in the column
> on
> the right saw:
> Digitally Sign Messages and that had a value of (0).
> I also saw:
> Include Certificate and that had a value of (0).
>
> I think these are what you were referring to.
>
> I still haven't solved the problem.
>
> When I go to the Windows Mail folder location, and click on Properties>
> Security> Advanced> Edit> and click on my account name and Sytem and
> Administrators, the permissions are for "This Object Only."
>
> I know very little about permissions. Are you knowledgeable about that?
>
> I cannot think what else to do.

I do not think it can have anything to do with permissions?

So the Registry settings are set to Zero on both keys, then digital sig' is
set to off -- Mmmmm?

Did you make any changes on the Advanced Button of the Digital Sig security
tab?

Check your Mail account at tools>accounts>select the
account>properties>security tab, any reference there to a certificate to
use?

**Did you try the per mail user option to turn off Digital signing from the
new mail window>tools menu **

Do a send all from tools>send and receive>send all, with the Outbox EMPTY,
does it go through the motions or throw up the error?
(I am thinking that you might have a Phantom Message that is digitally
signed stuck in the Outbox).

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

krell

Re: Digital ID

"mac" wrote:

> "krell" <krell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > I opened the registry, and went to
> > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Mail and in the column
> > on
> > the right saw:
> > Digitally Sign Messages and that had a value of (0).
> > I also saw:
> > Include Certificate and that had a value of (0).
> >
> > I think these are what you were referring to.
> >
> > I still haven't solved the problem.
> >
> > When I go to the Windows Mail folder location, and click on Properties>
> > Security> Advanced> Edit> and click on my account name and Sytem and
> > Administrators, the permissions are for "This Object Only."
> >
> > I know very little about permissions. Are you knowledgeable about that?
> >
> > I cannot think what else to do.

> I do not think it can have anything to do with permissions?
>
> So the Registry settings are set to Zero on both keys, then digital sig' is
> set to off -- Mmmmm?
>
> Did you make any changes on the Advanced Button of the Digital Sig security
> tab?
>
> Check your Mail account at tools>accounts>select the
> account>properties>security tab, any reference there to a certificate to
> use?
>
> **Did you try the per mail user option to turn off Digital signing from the
> new mail window>tools menu **
>
> Do a send all from tools>send and receive>send all, with the Outbox EMPTY,
> does it go through the motions or throw up the error?
> (I am thinking that you might have a Phantom Message that is digitally
> signed stuck in the Outbox).
>

> --
> Regards Steve.
> MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.
> http://www.getsafeonline.org/
>

> It's very odd. I don't recall making any changes on the Advanced Security Tab. The information on this tab is:

Warn on encrypting messages with less than: 168bits
The box is checked next to "Always encrypt to myself when sending encrypted
mail.
and
The box is checked next to "Add sender's certificate to my Windows Contacts.
The radio button is filled next to: only when online
(that is when asked "Check for revoked Digital IDs.")

When I try to send an email, and go to Tools> Digitally sign is not checked.
I tried to send an email with it checked and without it checked, and was not
able. The same message appeared.

With Windows Mail open, I went to Tools> Send and Receive> and use any of
the options, the message does not appear.

I then tried to send an email, both with the Digitally Sign option checked
and unchecked (Tools> Digitally Sign) and still get the message.

I really appreciate the time you have given to trying to solve this problem,
and I wonder if you have any other ideas.

I really don't want to do a system restore, because I removed quite a few
programs from my computer today to make some room for others....