Windows Mail could not be started

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Betsy

Windows Mail could not be started
Unlike others who get the message: Windows Mail could not be started.
Initialize junk filtering. Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is
full (0x80004005)
I am not using McAfee, I'm using Norton. Been using Vista for a couple of
years, know my disk is not full, know I'm not out of memory and am baffled!!
Any ideas?
Gary VanderMolen

Re: Windows Mail could not be started
Norton security products are among the top three troublemakers for
Windows Mail. Symptoms often don't surface until several months have
gone by, or until an update occurs.
First, be sure to disable its email scanning, for the reason explained here:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

Several users here have reported that Symantec will give you a free
upgrade to Norton Antivirus 2009, which may cure the problem. If
interested, contact Symantec via online chat.

Disabling the Norton program is often insufficient. Do a trial uninstall,
followed by using their debris removal tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039

Instead of uninstalling your antivirus, another option is to upgrade to
Windows Live Mail, which is more resistant to the adverse effects of overly
intrusive antivirus products: http://download.live.com/wlmail

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"Betsy" <Betsy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:780E8058-EEBB-4AED-B778-D98D08763301@microsoft.com...
> Unlike others who get the message: Windows Mail could not be started.
> Initialize junk filtering. Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is
> full (0x80004005)
> I am not using McAfee, I'm using Norton. Been using Vista for a couple of
> years, know my disk is not full, know I'm not out of memory and am baffled!!
> Any ideas?

Sander

Re: Windows Mail could not be started
I am trying to make Windows Mail work firsttime after many months of owning
a new Vista-PC and after reliably using outlook on Windows-2000 for about
10 years - which is outdated now.

Windows Mail generates this error:
1. Windows Mail could not be started. The application was unable to open the
Windows Mail message store. Your Windows Mail mailbox data is currently being
used by another program, such as a virus scanner. Close the program or wait
for it to complete its operation, then open Windows Mail again (0x800C0155,
2). After accepting OK, I got the second message:
3. Windows Mail could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be
initialized.

4. Downloaded Windows Live Mail which generated the following Error:
"Windows Live Mail could not be started. It may not be installed correctly.
Make sure that your disk is not full or that you are not out of memory.
(0x80041161)"
5. Prior to that, I disabled all elements from the startup list and non-MS
services from msconfig,
the problem remained unresolved.
6. upgraded the vista-SP1 and repeated the above steps. Same Problem.
7. disabled all antivirous software. Problem remained unresolved. Vista is
running only the
basic microsoftware services and programs but the problem remained unresolved.

Any suggestion ? Is there any thing I missed to disable or to execute in
the above steps to make either the Windows mail or Windows Live Mail work? I
am desparate as I depend on the mail system. The above
described suggestions all I could find from various community sites which I
executed one by one.

Any help would be appreciated !!!!! - Microsoft any Solution ????????

Sanders

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> Norton security products are among the top three troublemakers for
> Windows Mail. Symptoms often don't surface until several months have
> gone by, or until an update occurs.
> First, be sure to disable its email scanning, for the reason explained here:
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
>
> Several users here have reported that Symantec will give you a free
> upgrade to Norton Antivirus 2009, which may cure the problem. If
> interested, contact Symantec via online chat.
>
> Disabling the Norton program is often insufficient. Do a trial uninstall,
> followed by using their debris removal tool:
> http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039
>
> Instead of uninstalling your antivirus, another option is to upgrade to
> Windows Live Mail, which is more resistant to the adverse effects of overly
> intrusive antivirus products: http://download.live.com/wlmail
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "Betsy" <Betsy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:780E8058-EEBB-4AED-B778-D98D08763301@microsoft.com...
> > Unlike others who get the message: Windows Mail could not be started.
> > Initialize junk filtering. Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is
> > full (0x80004005)
> > I am not using McAfee, I'm using Norton. Been using Vista for a couple of
> > years, know my disk is not full, know I'm not out of memory and am baffled!!
> > Any ideas?

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Windows Mail could not be started
This post is a duplicate of your post under "Windows Mail could not be started errors".

--

"Sander" <Sander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:325000B1-C821-42D0-A0B5-572CC84E8934@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> followed by using their debris removal tool:
>> http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039
>>
>> Instead of uninstalling your antivirus, another option is to upgrade to
>> Windows Live Mail, which is more resistant to the adverse effects of overly
>> intrusive antivirus products: http://download.live.com/wlmail
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>>

>> "Betsy" <Betsy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:780E8058-EEBB-4AED-B778-D98D08763301@microsoft.com...
>> > Unlike others who get the message: Windows Mail could not be started.
>> > Initialize junk filtering. Your computer may be out of memory or your disk is
>> > full (0x80004005)
>> > I am not using McAfee, I'm using Norton. Been using Vista for a couple of
>> > years, know my disk is not full, know I'm not out of memory and am baffled!!

DeniseM Toronto

Re: Windows Mail could not be started
After Windows Update did an update, I've had the similar errors.
That the mail files could not be found.
That MSOE.DLLL could not be found.
I tried a system restore and the system restore did not work,
saying there was an error, though it didn't identify the error.

I don't want new blank mail files.
I want the old ones working.
Any help?

DeniseM Toronto

Re: Windows Mail could not be started. STILL ERRORS from Windows Updat
Still trying to undo the Windows Update.

I tried another System Restore, using another restore point, which also gave
an "unidentified error" and failed.

Windows Mail still doesn't work since the update.
But now I've got an error number from Windows Mail.
0x800C013E
And it says my computer may be out of memory --- it isn't --- and that my
disk may be full --- it isn't either.

Denise Moore

"DeniseM Toronto" wrote:

> After Windows Update did an update, I've had the similar errors.
> That the mail files could not be found.
> That MSOE.DLLL could not be found.
> I tried a system restore and the system restore did not work,
> saying there was an error, though it didn't identify the error.
>
> I don't want new blank mail files.
> I want the old ones working.
> Any help?

DeniseM Toronto

Re: Windows Mail could not be started
Windows Mail STILL won't start.

But it is now giving a slightly different message about MSOE.DLL
saying that MSOE.DLL can't be initialized.

(No, I'm not using Outlook Express.)

DeniseM

Sam Hobbs

Re: Windows Mail could not be started
Perhaps you need to do a repair install of Vista but I don't know the
details of how to do that; you need to look in the Vista help or in a forum
or newsgroup for Vista.

I don't know why it is complaining about MSOE.DLL but it might be that
Windows Mail has code from OE that was not properly revised.

"DeniseM Toronto" <DeniseMToronto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:0AE201DB-26AF-45B9-A37D-7693A126EBCE@microsoft.com...
> Windows Mail STILL won't start.
>
> But it is now giving a slightly different message about MSOE.DLL
> saying that MSOE.DLL can't be initialized.
>
> (No, I'm not using Outlook Express.)
>
> DeniseM

DeniseM Toronto

Re: Windows Mail could not be started
I believe the repair install puts things back to where they were two years
ago when we bought the computer. That would wipe out a lot of stuff! I hope
there's a solution less drastic than that!

Denise Moore

"Sam Hobbs" wrote:

> Perhaps you need to do a repair install of Vista but I don't know the
> details of how to do that; you need to look in the Vista help or in a forum
> or newsgroup for Vista.
>
> I don't know why it is complaining about MSOE.DLL but it might be that
> Windows Mail has code from OE that was not properly revised.
>

> "DeniseM Toronto" <DeniseMToronto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:0AE201DB-26AF-45B9-A37D-7693A126EBCE@microsoft.com...
> > Windows Mail STILL won't start.
> >
> > But it is now giving a slightly different message about MSOE.DLL
> > saying that MSOE.DLL can't be initialized.
> >
> > (No, I'm not using Outlook Express.)
> >
> > DeniseM

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Windows Mail could not be started
There are a couple of things you can try.

First, make sure your antivirus program is not configured to scan emails.

Secondly, run the various repair functions in the WMUtil program:
http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil

If still no improvement, upgrade to Windows Live Mail:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/VanderMolen