Re: 'your pop3 server has not responded in 60 seconds...'
By any chance, did you change your ISP when
you went from wifi to cable?
If so, you have to create a new email account
with the correct information, including your new
Originally Posted by circe801
and that the server 'cannot be found', which is ludicrous. i tried deleting
and redoing the account--didn't work. i've never had this problem before,
and the only thing that i've done differently since last being able to
download my optonline.net mail into windows mail is i've used wifi. now i am
connected by cable.
10% of my brain lives with me. The other 90% can be found here: