Import email from external hard drive

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Mike

Import email from external hard drive
My computer died with Windows XP on it. I had the hard drive put in an
external case and have found the message files.

Is the easiest way to get the messages and address book to install Outlook
Express and import it over???

Where can I buy one or can I use my old one from my other hard drive.
Thanks
Mike
Mike

RE: Import email from external hard drive
My new computer uses Vista. Help !!!!!!!!!!!

"Mike" wrote:

> My computer died with Windows XP on it. I had the hard drive put in an
> external case and have found the message files.
>
> Is the easiest way to get the messages and address book to install Outlook
> Express and import it over???
>
> Where can I buy one or can I use my old one from my other hard drive.
> Thanks
> Mike

Dave

Re: Import email from external hard drive
Outlook Express can't run on Vista.
It was replaced with Windows Mail, which has since been replaced with
Windows Live Mail.

Copy all of the Outlook Express .dbx files (including folders.dbx) from the
XP drive to a temporary folder on the Vista computer

Open Windows Mail, File - Import - Messages - Microsoft Outlook Express 6
import from OE6 store directory
find the temporary folder where you copied the .dbx files (BUT DON'T OPEN
IT).
Next.... etc.

To import your contacts, copy the .wab file over, and do a
similar File - Import
of the Windows Contacts.

--
Windows 7 beta
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Mike" <Mike @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer died with Windows XP on it. I had the hard drive put in an
> external case and have found the message files.
>
> Is the easiest way to get the messages and address book to install Outlook
> Express and import it over???
>
> Where can I buy one or can I use my old one from my other hard drive.
> Thanks
> Mike

Gordon

"Dave" <Dave@beepbeepbeepbeep.com> wrote in message
> Outlook Express can't run on Vista.
> It was replaced with Windows Mail, which has since been replaced with
> Windows Live Mail.
>
> Copy all of the Outlook Express .dbx files (including folders.dbx) from
> the
> XP drive to a temporary folder on the Vista computer

Won't Windows Mail import function navigate to an external drive?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Steve Cochran

Re: Import email from external hard drive
There may be permissions issues. I recommend people copy the OE message
store to a subdirectory of Documents which puts it into the User profile,
thereby circumventing any permissions issues. www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

steve

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Dave" <Dave@beepbeepbeepbeep.com> wrote in message
>> Outlook Express can't run on Vista.
>> It was replaced with Windows Mail, which has since been replaced with
>> Windows Live Mail.
>>
>> Copy all of the Outlook Express .dbx files (including folders.dbx) from
>> the
>> XP drive to a temporary folder on the Vista computer

> Won't Windows Mail import function navigate to an external drive?
>
> --
> Asking a question?
> Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
> your OS, Service Pack level
> and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

Dave

Re: Import email from external hard drive
Possibly. But like Steve said, you could encounter permission problems.
And it's easier to find them if you copy them to a \temp folder.

--

> "Dave" <Dave@beepbeepbeepbeep.com> wrote in message
>> Outlook Express can't run on Vista.
>> It was replaced with Windows Mail, which has since been replaced with
>> Windows Live Mail.
>>
>> Copy all of the Outlook Express .dbx files (including folders.dbx) from
>> the
>> XP drive to a temporary folder on the Vista computer

> Won't Windows Mail import function navigate to an external drive?
>
> --
> Asking a question?
> Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
> your OS, Service Pack level
> and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

Patrick Keenan

Re: Import email from external hard drive

"Mike" <Mike @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My computer died with Windows XP on it. I had the hard drive put in an
> external case and have found the message files.
>
> Is the easiest way to get the messages and address book to install Outlook
> Express and import it over???
>
> Where can I buy one or can I use my old one from my other hard drive.
> Thanks
> Mike

You cannot install Outlook Express on Vista. However, if you know where
the OE mail files are, you can simply import them to Windows Mail.

HTH
-pk