How to export mail rules from Outlook Expres v6 into Windows Mail

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

snomazushi

How to export mail rules from Outlook Expres v6 into Windows Mail
Windows Mail v6.0.6000.16386 Windows Vista Home Premium

Can someone tell me how to export mail rules from Outlook Expres v6 into
Windows Mail?

mac

Re: How to export mail rules from Outlook Expres v6 into Windows Mail

"snomazushi" <snomanospam@snomazushi.com> wrote in message
> Windows Mail v6.0.6000.16386 Windows Vista Home Premium
>
> Can someone tell me how to export mail rules from Outlook Expres v6 into
> Windows Mail?

Take a look here:
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

Steve Cochran

Re: How to export mail rules from Outlook Expres v6 into Windows Mail
That's not going to help too much. Below is a message I posted when Vista
was just coming out and its as close as I could get to importing the rules,
but its very imperfect. One of the problems is that the names of the
folders are in the folders.dbx file and not in the Registry, so they don't
get imported.

steve

Okay there are actually 4 issues, but I figured out two of them.

This is for a single rule at the moment. I'll try and program it so it
doesn't have to be done rule by rule.

First export the rule from the machine with OE:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Micro soft\Outlook
Express\5.0\Rules\Mail\002

where GUID is the Identity and this is rule 3

Then edit the reg file with Notepad.

Do replace for

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Micro soft\Outlook Express\5.0

with

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail

Then save the file.

Then the search strings have been changed to Unicode so set the cursor where
the Rule Criteria start. Then do a second replace until the end of the file
and search for

,

replace with

,00,

Then in the last line of each criteria add

,00

Then save.

Then create a mock rule in the registry with WinMail and close WinMail.
Then delete that mock key in the registry. Make sure the rule number in the
saved reg file matches that that you just deleted.

Then merge the file into the registry.

Open WinMail and go to Tools | Message rules and you see the new message
rule spelled out okay when you click on it, except for the folder name. You
will still have to specify the folder names again because those are coded
numerically, I think.

Anyway, that will work, but its a bit involved to do manually.

steve

" mac" <macknever@fsmail.net> wrote in message

> "snomazushi" <snomanospam@snomazushi.com> wrote in message
>> Windows Mail v6.0.6000.16386 Windows Vista Home Premium
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to export mail rules from Outlook Expres v6 into
>> Windows Mail?
>>

> Take a look here:
> http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx
>

> --
> Regards Steve.
> MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.
> http://www.getsafeonline.org/

snomazushi

Re: How to export mail rules from Outlook Expres v6 into Windows Mail
Thanks Steve for your comments.

It's too complicated, so I'll do the rules on new machines manually.

sn
"Steve Cochran" <scochran@oehelp.com> wrote in message
news4F96554-A6E9-40BE-8EB5-79F21C86BDCB@microsoft.com...
> That's not going to help too much. Below is a message I posted when Vista
> was just coming out and its as close as I could get to importing the
> rules, but its very imperfect. One of the problems is that the names of
> the folders are in the folders.dbx file and not in the Registry, so they
> don't get imported.
>
> steve
>
> Okay there are actually 4 issues, but I figured out two of them.
>
> This is for a single rule at the moment. I'll try and program it so it
> doesn't have to be done rule by rule.
>
> First export the rule from the machine with OE:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Micro soft\Outlook
> Express\5.0\Rules\Mail\002
>
> where GUID is the Identity and this is rule 3
>
> Then edit the reg file with Notepad.
>
> Do replace for
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Micro soft\Outlook Express\5.0
>
> with
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail
>
> Then save the file.
>
> Then the search strings have been changed to Unicode so set the cursor
> where
> the Rule Criteria start. Then do a second replace until the end of the
> file
> and search for
>
> ,
>
> replace with
>
> ,00,
>
> Then in the last line of each criteria add
>
> ,00
>
> Then save.
>
> Then create a mock rule in the registry with WinMail and close WinMail.
> Then delete that mock key in the registry. Make sure the rule number in
> the
> saved reg file matches that that you just deleted.
>
> Then merge the file into the registry.
>
> Open WinMail and go to Tools | Message rules and you see the new message
> rule spelled out okay when you click on it, except for the folder name.
> You
> will still have to specify the folder names again because those are coded
> numerically, I think.
>
> Anyway, that will work, but its a bit involved to do manually.
>
> steve
>

> " mac" <macknever@fsmail.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "snomazushi" <snomanospam@snomazushi.com> wrote in message
>>> Windows Mail v6.0.6000.16386 Windows Vista Home Premium
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me how to export mail rules from Outlook Expres v6 into
>>> Windows Mail?
>>>

>> Take a look here:
>> http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx
>>

>> --
>> Regards Steve.
>> MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.
>> http://www.getsafeonline.org/

Steve Cochran

Re: How to export mail rules from Outlook Expres v6 into Windows Mail
You might succeed with the File and settings transfer wizard. Some have had
success with it, but I never tried it.

steve

> Thanks Steve for your comments.
>
> It's too complicated, so I'll do the rules on new machines manually.
>
> sn
> "Steve Cochran" <scochran@oehelp.com> wrote in message
> news4F96554-A6E9-40BE-8EB5-79F21C86BDCB@microsoft.com...
>> That's not going to help too much. Below is a message I posted when
>> Vista was just coming out and its as close as I could get to importing
>> the rules, but its very imperfect. One of the problems is that the names
>> of the folders are in the folders.dbx file and not in the Registry, so
>> they don't get imported.
>>
>> steve
>>
>> Okay there are actually 4 issues, but I figured out two of them.
>>
>> This is for a single rule at the moment. I'll try and program it so it
>> doesn't have to be done rule by rule.
>>
>> First export the rule from the machine with OE:
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Micro soft\Outlook
>> Express\5.0\Rules\Mail\002
>>
>> where GUID is the Identity and this is rule 3
>>
>> Then edit the reg file with Notepad.
>>
>> Do replace for
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Micro soft\Outlook
>> Express\5.0
>>
>> with
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail
>>
>> Then save the file.
>>
>> Then the search strings have been changed to Unicode so set the cursor
>> where
>> the Rule Criteria start. Then do a second replace until the end of the
>> file
>> and search for
>>
>> ,
>>
>> replace with
>>
>> ,00,
>>
>> Then in the last line of each criteria add
>>
>> ,00
>>
>> Then save.
>>
>> Then create a mock rule in the registry with WinMail and close WinMail.
>> Then delete that mock key in the registry. Make sure the rule number in
>> the
>> saved reg file matches that that you just deleted.
>>
>> Then merge the file into the registry.
>>
>> Open WinMail and go to Tools | Message rules and you see the new message
>> rule spelled out okay when you click on it, except for the folder name.
>> You
>> will still have to specify the folder names again because those are coded
>> numerically, I think.
>>
>> Anyway, that will work, but its a bit involved to do manually.
>>
>> steve
>>

>> " mac" <macknever@fsmail.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "snomazushi" <snomanospam@snomazushi.com> wrote in message

>>> Take a look here: