please verify username and password are correct...

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

MR Gorman

please verify username and password are correct...

I have seen several threads, but haven't solved this problem yet. Here
are the details:

Logon to IMAP.aol.com (Aol account through cable provider)

Please verify that both the username and password are correct for your
mail server.

It won’t take the valid info. And when canceling, I get this message:

Account: 'IMAP.aol.com (1)', Server: 'IMAP.aol.com', Protocol: POP3,
Server Response: '-ERR Bad login. Incorrect name and/or password,
please re-enter.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90,
Error Number: 0x800CCC92

As so many are, I'm very frustrated with switching from Outlook Express
to the Windows Mail in Vista. Any help would be appreciated.

--
MR Gorman
MR Gorman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mr-gorman.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Re: please verify username and password are correct...
The account is misconfigured: It should be IMAP Protocol, not POP3. The
following KB is for OE but the settings, etc., apply to Windows Mail:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883081
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

MR Gorman wrote:
> I have seen several threads, but haven't solved this problem yet. Here
> are the details:
>
> Logon to IMAP.aol.com (Aol account through cable provider)
>
> Please verify that both the username and password are correct for your
> mail server.
>
> It won’t take the valid info. And when canceling, I get this message:
>
> Account: 'IMAP.aol.com (1)', Server: 'IMAP.aol.com', Protocol: POP3,
> Server Response: '-ERR Bad login. Incorrect name and/or password,
> please re-enter.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90,
> Error Number: 0x800CCC92
>
> As so many are, I'm very frustrated with switching from Outlook Express
> to the Windows Mail in Vista. Any help would be appreciated.

julian taylor

Re: The server has rejected your login. Please verify that your username

have had this problem for a few months and was getting very frsutrated,
especially as three of the users on this computer were ok, and one, my
oldest son, was getting this message. i discovered that the reason was
that when i went into the email details the internet provider had on
file (sky.com) for him, the main account was not the sky email account,
but a hotmail account. i tried deleting this so the only email address
was the one with sky and it solved the problem.

i hope this may help someone out there.

--
julian taylor
julian taylor's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/julian-taylor.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

MR Gorman

Re: please verify username and password are correct...

I have been following other threads and have tried several of the
"fixes", but to no avail. I got a new computer (Vista), transferred my
files from the old (XP), and am still using the same antivirus (Trend
micro). I was using Outlook express, but have the Windows Mail
program.

My internet provider is the local cable company, but I use an AOL
account.
Someone mentioned POP vs. IMAP, but that is done correctly by the
instructions given for AOL/Outlook express.
I also tried using the Windows live mail--same results.
I tried setting up a new account, but got the same verify username and
password screen.
I disabled the trend micro for incoming/outgoing email, but that did
not make any difference either.

If anyone knows of a fix or a resource that I might access, I would be
thrilled. It would seem reasonable to have outlook express to Windows
mail be a seamless transition, but that has not been the case and a
source of major frustration, not to mention the amount of time to try to
figure it out.

HELP!

--
MR Gorman
MR Gorman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mr-gorman.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...il/1122105.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Gary VanderMolen

Re: please verify username and password are correct...
Trend Micro antivirus is among the top three troublemakers for Windows Mail.
First, go into its settings and disable any interaction with email, then try
Windows Mail again. If no improvement, do a trial uninstall of the antivirus.

Another option (instead of uninstalling Trend Micro) is to upgrade to
Windows Live Mail, which is more resistant to the adverse effects of
overly intrusive antivirus products: http://download.live.com/wlmail

In any case you must disable any antivirus email scanning, for the reason
explained here:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"MR Gorman" <MR.Gorman.3nt23c@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:MR.Gorman.3nt23c@DoNotSpam.com...

> I have been following other threads and have tried several of the
> "fixes", but to no avail. I got a new computer (Vista), transferred my
> files from the old (XP), and am still using the same antivirus (Trend
> micro). I was using Outlook express, but have the Windows Mail
> program.
>
> My internet provider is the local cable company, but I use an AOL
> account.
> Someone mentioned POP vs. IMAP, but that is done correctly by the
> instructions given for AOL/Outlook express.
> I also tried using the Windows live mail--same results.
> I tried setting up a new account, but got the same verify username and
> password screen.
> I disabled the trend micro for incoming/outgoing email, but that did
> not make any difference either.
>
> If anyone knows of a fix or a resource that I might access, I would be
> thrilled. It would seem reasonable to have outlook express to Windows
> mail be a seamless transition, but that has not been the case and a
> source of major frustration, not to mention the amount of time to try to
> figure it out.
>
> HELP!
>

> --
> MR Gorman
> MR Gorman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mr-gorman.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...il/1122105.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

MR Gorman

Re: please verify username and password are correct...

O.K. I have installed windows mail live and turned off the trend micro
from looking at email (outbound) and inbound. Here is the latest error
message:

LOGIN Failed. Incorrect name and/or password, please re-enter.

Configuration:
Account: IMAP.aol.com
Server: IMAP.aol.com
User name: Mary Gorman
Protocol: IMAP
Port: 143
Secure(SSL): 0
Code: 800cccd1

Now I cannot connect to my secure wireless network either. Don't know
if this had to with Windows Live being downloaded or not, but it
happened at the same time. It says the wireless network security key is
not correct.

AARGH! This makes me just want to go back to my old slow XP and
outlook.!

--
MR Gorman
MR Gorman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mr-gorman.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...il/1122105.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Dave

Re: please verify username and password are correct...
That doesn't look like a normal account username.....
http://www.postmaster.aol.com/imap/express.html

--
Windows 7 beta
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"MR Gorman" <MR.Gorman.3nvg9k@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> O.K. I have installed windows mail live and turned off the trend micro
> from looking at email (outbound) and inbound. Here is the latest error
> message:
>
> LOGIN Failed. Incorrect name and/or password, please re-enter.
>
> Configuration:
> Account: IMAP.aol.com
> Server: IMAP.aol.com
> User name: Mary Gorman
> Protocol: IMAP
> Port: 143
> Secure(SSL): 0
> Code: 800cccd1
>
> Now I cannot connect to my secure wireless network either. Don't know
> if this had to with Windows Live being downloaded or not, but it
> happened at the same time. It says the wireless network security key is
> not correct.
>
> AARGH! This makes me just want to go back to my old slow XP and
> outlook.!
>

> --
> MR Gorman
> MR Gorman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mr-gorman.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...il/1122105.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

MR Gorman

Re: please verify username and password are correct...

This was the user name that came over from Outlook Express. I did a
little experiment and put my email address in that slot. No difference.
Does anybody know of a "live" person who I could talk to about this
with Windows support or something?

--
MR Gorman
MR Gorman's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mr-gorman.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...il/1122105.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Gary VanderMolen

Re: please verify username and password are correct...
It is not legal to have a space character in the username.