Can't receive email, inbox completely empty

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Bailey GM

Can't receive email, inbox completely empty
A couple of days ago, I went to receive email and noticed my inbox was
completely empty. I t tells me how many emails it is trying to receive, but
then gives me this error message:

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server:
'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
0x80004005

It had worked fine an hour before. I checked my settings, called comcast
and they said everything was working and couldn't figure out the problem.
I can get my emails through comcasts home page, but windows mail is not
working.
I have vista. Thank you

Re: Can't receive email, inbox completely empty
9 times out of 10, that error indicates temporary problems on your ISP's
end. Assuming your account is configured properly, access your account via
the webmail page until the problem automagically clears up.

Otherwise...

Make certain your time, date, and /time zone/ settings are correct.

Temporarily disable your third-party firewall [BE CAREFUL! Enable the
Windows Firewall immediately after doing so!], any "system protections"
(e.g., anti-virus application/security suite; many anti-spyware applications
other than Defender), and any third-party pop-up/ad blockers to see if
they're interfering.

If you use a router, you may need to adjust MTU values:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315008

IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | HTTP 1.1 | toggle on/off; "Use HTTP
1.1 through proxy connections" must *not* be checked.

IE Tools | Internet Options | Security | [zone in which Windows Mail runs;
should be Restricted Sites] | Custom Level | User Authentication | Logon |
toggle between the setting choices here [All options EXCEPT 'Automatic logon
only in Intranet zone' work for me; currently 'Anonymous logon' is checked]

Resetting either or both of the 2 IE Tabs above to the defaults might help,
too.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Bailey GM wrote:
> A couple of days ago, I went to receive email and noticed my inbox was
> completely empty. I t tells me how many emails it is trying to receive,
> but then gives me this error message:
>
> An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server:
> 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
> Number: 0x80004005
>
> It had worked fine an hour before. I checked my settings, called comcast
> and they said everything was working and couldn't figure out the problem.
> I can get my emails through comcasts home page, but windows mail is not
> working.
> I have vista. Thank you

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Can't receive email, inbox completely empty
That type of problem is usually caused by interference from a non-
compatible antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus must be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

Email scanning in any antivirus must be disabled, for reasons
explained here:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
http://download.live.com/wlmail

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)