Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

cannot open links in my e-mail or help section in windows Live Mail

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2008
Robert Riendeau
 

Posts: n/a
cannot open links in my e-mail or help section in windows Live Mail
Hi gang,
For about a week I haven't been able to open links to websites that my
contacts send me in their E-mails. The only way I can go about it is to
copy the link and paste it in Explorer. Even more peculiar, I have the same
problem when I try to go to the Help section of Windows Live Mail. When it
first started, I was using Windows Mail. I thought that it would solve
itself by switching to Windows Live Mail, but it remained the same. I get
is a message that says "Application not found". What can I do?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2008
Gary VanderMolen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: cannot open links in my e-mail or help section in windows Live Mail
Is Internet Explorer your default browser? Make sure it has all
of its defaults:
Open the Default Programs applet, which you can access either from
the Start menu or via the Control Panel, then click the first item:
"Set your default programs."
After a few seconds, a list of programs comes up. Click on "Internet
Explorer". If it doesn't respond with "This program has all its defaults"
then fix it by clicking on the option indicated by the first green arrow.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)


"Robert Riendeau" <rjriendeau@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:uwCGaCvXJHA.6064@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi gang,
> For about a week I haven't been able to open links to websites that my contacts send me in their E-mails. The only way I can go
> about it is to copy the link and paste it in Explorer. Even more peculiar, I have the same problem when I try to go to the Help
> section of Windows Live Mail. When it first started, I was using Windows Mail. I thought that it would solve itself by
> switching to Windows Live Mail, but it remained the same. I get is a message that says "Application not found". What can I do?



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2008
Ret.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: cannot open links in my e-mail or help section in windows Live Mail
Robert Riendeau wrote:
> Hi gang,
> For about a week I haven't been able to open links to websites that my
> contacts send me in their E-mails. The only way I can go about it is
> to copy the link and paste it in Explorer. Even more peculiar, I
> have the same problem when I try to go to the Help section of Windows
> Live Mail. When it first started, I was using Windows Mail. I
> thought that it would solve itself by switching to Windows Live Mail,
> but it remained the same. I get is a message that says "Application
> not found". What can I do?


I've had a similar problem for some time - although it is not consistent.
Some links work - the majority do not. If I hover the cursor over the link
it turns into a hand. If I click on the link then a series of dots appear
all the way around the link - but nothing happens.
I've done a fair bit of Googling on the subject and the only advice I have
come across is to ensure that all the defaults are set for Windows Mail and
for IE7. I have - and they are - but the problem persists. It's annoying to
have to copy and paste the link but I'm learning to live with it!!

Ret.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2008
Gary VanderMolen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: cannot open links in my e-mail or help section in windows Live Mail
See the resolution I gave Robert yesterday.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)


"Ret." <xxx> wrote in message news:NfGdnZF0f_SO9NrUnZ2dnUVZ8qvinZ2d@pipex.net...
> Robert Riendeau wrote:
>> Hi gang,
>> For about a week I haven't been able to open links to websites that my
>> contacts send me in their E-mails. The only way I can go about it is
>> to copy the link and paste it in Explorer. Even more peculiar, I
>> have the same problem when I try to go to the Help section of Windows
>> Live Mail. When it first started, I was using Windows Mail. I
>> thought that it would solve itself by switching to Windows Live Mail,
>> but it remained the same. I get is a message that says "Application
>> not found". What can I do?

>
> I've had a similar problem for some time - although it is not consistent. Some links work - the majority do not. If I hover the
> cursor over the link it turns into a hand. If I click on the link then a series of dots appear all the way around the link - but
> nothing happens.
> I've done a fair bit of Googling on the subject and the only advice I have come across is to ensure that all the defaults are
> set for Windows Mail and for IE7. I have - and they are - but the problem persists. It's annoying to have to copy and paste the
> link but I'm learning to live with it!!
>
> Ret.



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-17-2008
Ret.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: cannot open links in my e-mail or help section in windows Live Mail
Gary VanderMolen wrote:
> See the resolution I gave Robert yesterday.


Whilst I appreciate your interest - if you read through my post you will
note that I have already tried your 'resolution' - and it doesn't work!

Ret.

>
>
> "Ret." <xxx> wrote in message
> news:NfGdnZF0f_SO9NrUnZ2dnUVZ8qvinZ2d@pipex.net...
>> Robert Riendeau wrote:
>>> Hi gang,
>>> For about a week I haven't been able to open links to websites that
>>> my contacts send me in their E-mails. The only way I can go about
>>> it is to copy the link and paste it in Explorer. Even more
>>> peculiar, I have the same problem when I try to go to the Help
>>> section of Windows Live Mail. When it first started, I was using
>>> Windows Mail. I thought that it would solve itself by switching to
>>> Windows Live Mail, but it remained the same. I get is a message
>>> that says "Application not found". What can I do?

>>
>> I've had a similar problem for some time - although it is not
>> consistent. Some links work - the majority do not. If I hover the
>> cursor over the link it turns into a hand. If I click on the link
>> then a series of dots appear all the way around the link - but
>> nothing happens. I've done a fair bit of Googling on the subject and the
>> only advice
>> I have come across is to ensure that all the defaults are set for
>> Windows Mail and for IE7. I have - and they are - but the problem
>> persists. It's annoying to have to copy and paste the link but I'm
>> learning to live with it!! Ret.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-18-2008
Gary VanderMolen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: cannot open links in my e-mail or help section in windows Live Mail
I reread your post and did not see a specific cite of my resolution.
There was an unspecific reference to "ensure that all the defaults are set"
but that means different things to different people.

There is a variation of the Default Programs fix which is sometimes
more successful in stubborn cases. The following procedure will
rewrite the default protocol assignments in the registry:
Open the Default Programs applet, then click on "Set program
access and computer defaults." Expand the Custom selection, and
select Windows Mail. Click OK.
Repeat for Internet Explorer.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)


"Ret." <xxx> wrote in message news:hJqdnSJoWbZlytTUnZ2dnUVZ8v6dnZ2d@pipex.net...
> Gary VanderMolen wrote:
>> See the resolution I gave Robert yesterday.

>
> Whilst I appreciate your interest - if you read through my post you will note that I have already tried your 'resolution' - and
> it doesn't work!
>
> Ret.
>
>>
>>
>> "Ret." <xxx> wrote in message
>> news:NfGdnZF0f_SO9NrUnZ2dnUVZ8qvinZ2d@pipex.net...
>>> Robert Riendeau wrote:
>>>> Hi gang,
>>>> For about a week I haven't been able to open links to websites that
>>>> my contacts send me in their E-mails. The only way I can go about
>>>> it is to copy the link and paste it in Explorer. Even more
>>>> peculiar, I have the same problem when I try to go to the Help
>>>> section of Windows Live Mail. When it first started, I was using
>>>> Windows Mail. I thought that it would solve itself by switching to
>>>> Windows Live Mail, but it remained the same. I get is a message
>>>> that says "Application not found". What can I do?
>>>
>>> I've had a similar problem for some time - although it is not
>>> consistent. Some links work - the majority do not. If I hover the
>>> cursor over the link it turns into a hand. If I click on the link
>>> then a series of dots appear all the way around the link - but
>>> nothing happens. I've done a fair bit of Googling on the subject and the only advice
>>> I have come across is to ensure that all the defaults are set for
>>> Windows Mail and for IE7. I have - and they are - but the problem
>>> persists. It's annoying to have to copy and paste the link but I'm
>>> learning to live with it!! Ret.

>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-21-2008
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2
southliving is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: cannot open links in my e-mail or help section in windows Live Mail
Hi Gary, and all

I have the same problem now, I have done EVERYTHING I have read on all the posts on this site.
I noticed that even though I go and change the settings in "Custom" selection, if I go back the changes I made went back to what it was before.
(I am the only user, running on Admin, and when I make changes it says "applying changes....".
I am close to pulling my eyebrows out! (I have no hair left...

Any help'll be great!
Thanks

Dewald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary VanderMolen View Post
I reread your post and did not see a specific cite of my resolution.
There was an unspecific reference to "ensure that all the defaults are set"
but that means different things to different people.

There is a variation of the Default Programs fix which is sometimes
more successful in stubborn cases. The following procedure will
rewrite the default protocol assignments in the registry:
Open the Default Programs applet, then click on "Set program
access and computer defaults." Expand the Custom selection, and
select Windows Mail. Click OK.
Repeat for Internet Explorer.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)


"Ret." <xxx> wrote in message news:hJqdnSJoWbZlytTUnZ2dnUVZ8v6dnZ2d@pipex.net...
> Gary VanderMolen wrote:
>> See the resolution I gave Robert yesterday.

>
> Whilst I appreciate your interest - if you read through my post you will note that I have already tried your 'resolution' - and
> it doesn't work!
>
> Ret.
>
>>
>>
>> "Ret." <xxx> wrote in message
>> news:NfGdnZF0f_SO9NrUnZ2dnUVZ8qvinZ2d@pipex.net...
>>> Robert Riendeau wrote:
>>>> Hi gang,
>>>> For about a week I haven't been able to open links to websites that
>>>> my contacts send me in their E-mails. The only way I can go about
>>>> it is to copy the link and paste it in Explorer. Even more
>>>> peculiar, I have the same problem when I try to go to the Help
>>>> section of Windows Live Mail. When it first started, I was using
>>>> Windows Mail. I thought that it would solve itself by switching to
>>>> Windows Live Mail, but it remained the same. I get is a message
>>>> that says "Application not found". What can I do?
>>>
>>> I've had a similar problem for some time - although it is not
>>> consistent. Some links work - the majority do not. If I hover the
>>> cursor over the link it turns into a hand. If I click on the link
>>> then a series of dots appear all the way around the link - but
>>> nothing happens. I've done a fair bit of Googling on the subject and the only advice
>>> I have come across is to ensure that all the defaults are set for
>>> Windows Mail and for IE7. I have - and they are - but the problem
>>> persists. It's annoying to have to copy and paste the link but I'm
>>> learning to live with it!! Ret.

>
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-26-2009
Tammi
 

Posts: n/a
Re: cannot open links in my e-mail or help section in windows Live
I have a question. Do you have ANY suggestions to try if the Windows Live
Mail still is saying "application not found" when trying to click on a link
and I have followed all adivce on setting the defaults for Internet Explorer
and Windows Live Mail??
--
Tammi


"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> I reread your post and did not see a specific cite of my resolution.
> There was an unspecific reference to "ensure that all the defaults are set"
> but that means different things to different people.
>
> There is a variation of the Default Programs fix which is sometimes
> more successful in stubborn cases. The following procedure will
> rewrite the default protocol assignments in the registry:
> Open the Default Programs applet, then click on "Set program
> access and computer defaults." Expand the Custom selection, and
> select Windows Mail. Click OK.
> Repeat for Internet Explorer.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>
>
> "Ret." <xxx> wrote in message news:hJqdnSJoWbZlytTUnZ2dnUVZ8v6dnZ2d@pipex.net...
> > Gary VanderMolen wrote:
> >> See the resolution I gave Robert yesterday.

> >
> > Whilst I appreciate your interest - if you read through my post you will note that I have already tried your 'resolution' - and
> > it doesn't work!
> >
> > Ret.
> >
> >>
> >>
> >> "Ret." <xxx> wrote in message
> >> news:NfGdnZF0f_SO9NrUnZ2dnUVZ8qvinZ2d@pipex.net...
> >>> Robert Riendeau wrote:
> >>>> Hi gang,
> >>>> For about a week I haven't been able to open links to websites that
> >>>> my contacts send me in their E-mails. The only way I can go about
> >>>> it is to copy the link and paste it in Explorer. Even more
> >>>> peculiar, I have the same problem when I try to go to the Help
> >>>> section of Windows Live Mail. When it first started, I was using
> >>>> Windows Mail. I thought that it would solve itself by switching to
> >>>> Windows Live Mail, but it remained the same. I get is a message
> >>>> that says "Application not found". What can I do?
> >>>
> >>> I've had a similar problem for some time - although it is not
> >>> consistent. Some links work - the majority do not. If I hover the
> >>> cursor over the link it turns into a hand. If I click on the link
> >>> then a series of dots appear all the way around the link - but
> >>> nothing happens. I've done a fair bit of Googling on the subject and the only advice
> >>> I have come across is to ensure that all the defaults are set for
> >>> Windows Mail and for IE7. I have - and they are - but the problem
> >>> persists. It's annoying to have to copy and paste the link but I'm
> >>> learning to live with it!! Ret.

> >

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2009
Gary VanderMolen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: cannot open links in my e-mail or help section in windows Live
If you have done both of the Default Programs fixes mentioned below
for Internet Explorer, then I don't know what else you can do.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)


"Tammi" <Tammi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36247E7F-52AD-48DB-A8CE-323301E9E16E@microsoft.com...
>I have a question. Do you have ANY suggestions to try if the Windows Live
> Mail still is saying "application not found" when trying to click on a link
> and I have followed all adivce on setting the defaults for Internet Explorer
> and Windows Live Mail??
> --
> Tammi
>
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> I reread your post and did not see a specific cite of my resolution.
>> There was an unspecific reference to "ensure that all the defaults are set"
>> but that means different things to different people.
>>
>> There is a variation of the Default Programs fix which is sometimes
>> more successful in stubborn cases. The following procedure will
>> rewrite the default protocol assignments in the registry:
>> Open the Default Programs applet, then click on "Set program
>> access and computer defaults." Expand the Custom selection, and
>> select Windows Mail. Click OK.
>> Repeat for Internet Explorer.

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2009
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
woodman1001 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: cannot open links in my e-mail or help section in windows Live Mail
I had same problem but just fixed mine. In IE8 I went to tools and clicked on "Manage Add-ons". Went to email and Windows Live Was enabled but not default (even after I had made it my default) I made it default there and wa-la everything is working fine again. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't open links in Windows Mail Janet microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 12 06-15-2009 01:15
Foto links via Windows Live Mail op livestore blacklisted? Marius microsoft.public.nl.windows.vista 18 11-09-2008 18:27
URL Links not opening in windows live mail steve@russellservice microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 4 10-28-2008 19:43
Live links in Windows Mail John King microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 04-06-2008 04:05
Windows Mail won't open some links Steve V microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 4 05-26-2007 19:04




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:04.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120