windows mail has stopped working message

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

granbjd22

windows mail has stopped working message
i can't open my Windows mail! a box pops up saying: windows Mail has stopped
working..checking for a solution...a problem has caused the program to stop
working properly.. HELP!! what's happened??
Gary VanderMolen

Re: windows mail has stopped working message
The easiest way to fix that problem is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail:

http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"granbjd22" <granbjd22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B3A963E-D8C0-4FF6-9BBE-72DF624E9801@microsoft.com...
>i can't open my Windows mail! a box pops up saying: windows Mail has stopped
> working..checking for a solution...a problem has caused the program to stop
> working properly.. HELP!! what's happened??

Steve Cochran

Re: windows mail has stopped working message
Try compacting and repairing the database with my Windows mail Utility
(www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/). In addition, see point 3 here and the section on
WinMail: www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

steve

"granbjd22" <granbjd22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i can't open my Windows mail! a box pops up saying: windows Mail has
>stopped
> working..checking for a solution...a problem has caused the program to
> stop
> working properly.. HELP!! what's happened??

GolferSA

Re: windows mail has stopped working message
What the heck kind of answer is that??? Windows Mail has stopped working
(Google it, see how many of us are experiencing the problem), and your
response is to use Hotmail??

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> The easiest way to fix that problem is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail:
>
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "granbjd22" <granbjd22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B3A963E-D8C0-4FF6-9BBE-72DF624E9801@microsoft.com...
> >i can't open my Windows mail! a box pops up saying: windows Mail has stopped
> > working..checking for a solution...a problem has caused the program to stop
> > working properly.. HELP!! what's happened??

Dave

Re: windows mail has stopped working message
He didn't say to use Hotmail.
Windows Live Mail is the replacement for Windows Mail. It works better, and
can access Hotmail accounts (which WM cannot).
Windows Mail appears to have been a stopgap program until WLM was completed.

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"GolferSA" <GolferSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What the heck kind of answer is that??? Windows Mail has stopped working
> (Google it, see how many of us are experiencing the problem), and your
> response is to use Hotmail??
>

> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> The easiest way to fix that problem is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail:
>>
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>>

>> "granbjd22" <granbjd22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i can't open my Windows mail! a box pops up saying: windows Mail has
>> >stopped
>> > working..checking for a solution...a problem has caused the program to
>> > stop
>> > working properly.. HELP!! what's happened??

Steve Cochran

Re: windows mail has stopped working message
You've got that wrong. WinMail was supposed to be the successor of OE and
the MVPs worked hard and long (over 5 years) with MS to get it right, but
then MS decided they would drop it during the Vista beta without telling
anyone that was what they were going to do, and then they "replaced" it with
the POS they call WLM.

steve

"Dave" <dave@beepbeepbeepbeep.com> wrote in message
> He didn't say to use Hotmail.
> Windows Live Mail is the replacement for Windows Mail. It works better,
> and can access Hotmail accounts (which WM cannot).
> Windows Mail appears to have been a stopgap program until WLM was
> completed.
>

> --
> Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>

> "GolferSA" <GolferSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> What the heck kind of answer is that??? Windows Mail has stopped working
>> (Google it, see how many of us are experiencing the problem), and your
>> response is to use Hotmail??
>>

>> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>>
>>> The easiest way to fix that problem is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail:
>>>
>>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Steve Cochran

Re: windows mail has stopped working message
It was the type of answer you get from the people at MS (as well as others),
because they don't have the competence or inclination to fix Windows Mail.

steve

"GolferSA" <GolferSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What the heck kind of answer is that??? Windows Mail has stopped working
> (Google it, see how many of us are experiencing the problem), and your
> response is to use Hotmail??
>

> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> The easiest way to fix that problem is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail:
>>
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>>

>> "granbjd22" <granbjd22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i can't open my Windows mail! a box pops up saying: windows Mail has
>> >stopped
>> > working..checking for a solution...a problem has caused the program to
>> > stop
>> > working properly.. HELP!! what's happened??

Gary VanderMolen

Re: windows mail has stopped working message
I didn't say to use Hotmail. If you don't know the difference between Hotmail
and Windows Live Mail, then you haven't done your homework. ;-)

Microsoft no longer supports Windows Mail, and has designated Windows
Live Mail as its replacement. Get with the program already...

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"GolferSA" <GolferSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66E6CEBA-30EB-4453-B69D-EB44FC1CC5BC@microsoft.com...
> What the heck kind of answer is that??? Windows Mail has stopped working
> (Google it, see how many of us are experiencing the problem), and your
> response is to use Hotmail??
>

> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> The easiest way to fix that problem is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail:
>>
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>>

>> "granbjd22" <granbjd22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B3A963E-D8C0-4FF6-9BBE-72DF624E9801@microsoft.com...
>> >i can't open my Windows mail! a box pops up saying: windows Mail has stopped
>> > working..checking for a solution...a problem has caused the program to stop
>> > working properly.. HELP!! what's happened??

Gary VanderMolen

Re: windows mail has stopped working message
MVPs worked on Windows Mail for over 5 years? I don't think so.
If so, why was it introduced to us beta testers so late in the Vista beta
testing cycle?

--

"Steve Cochran" <scochran@oehelp.com> wrote in message news:E21E1D05-D8D6-4171-9FF0-A5353505490F@microsoft.com...
> You've got that wrong. WinMail was supposed to be the successor of OE and the MVPs worked hard and long (over 5 years) with MS
> to get it right, but then MS decided they would drop it during the Vista beta without telling anyone that was what they were
> going to do, and then they "replaced" it with the POS they call WLM.
>
> steve
>
> "Dave" <dave@beepbeepbeepbeep.com> wrote in message news:OwFMS3ETJHA.5244@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> He didn't say to use Hotmail.
>> Windows Live Mail is the replacement for Windows Mail. It works better, and can access Hotmail accounts (which WM cannot).
>> Windows Mail appears to have been a stopgap program until WLM was completed.
>>

>> --
>> Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>> http://download.live.com/wlmail
>>

>> "GolferSA" <GolferSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66E6CEBA-30EB-4453-B69D-EB44FC1CC5BC@microsoft.com...
>>> What the heck kind of answer is that??? Windows Mail has stopped working
>>> (Google it, see how many of us are experiencing the problem), and your
>>> response is to use Hotmail??

Steve Cochran

Re: windows mail has stopped working message
We most certainly did. They changed the name from OE to Winmail towards the
end, but we worked hard and long with MS for awhile until they abandoned
things. It wasn't introduced late in the Vista cycle. It was present in
the very first alpha of Longhorn and I tested it then and every other build
after that. I went to MS several times and discussed it over those years
with the MS developers, so I know what I did over those years and how hard I
worked.

They deliberately gave up working on WinMail about 6 months to a year before
Vista was released so they could put together their crappy Windows Live Mail
Desktop software that no one asked for. We wanted OE fixed, not some new
garbage.

But they gave us new garbage instead.

steve