Can't export messages from windows mail

microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

pedhambe

Can't export messages from windows mail

I have Windows mail on a 64 bit machine with Vista Ultimate. I cannot
export any of my local folders by way of a backup. Tried exporting
various individual folders thinking one or more might be corrupted, and
also all folders. Keep gettint message that message export has failed.
Restarting the machine didn't help. Please help.
pedhambe

--
pedhambe
CWLee

Re: Can't export messages from windows mail

"pedhambe" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

> I have Windows mail on a 64 bit machine with Vista
> Ultimate. I cannot
> export any of my local folders by way of a backup. Tried
> exporting
> various individual folders thinking one or more might be
> corrupted, and
> also all folders. Keep gettint message that message export
> has failed.
> Restarting the machine didn't help.

I too have Windows Mail on a 64-bit Vista Ultimate. For my
email backup I copy and paste the entire mail store to a
removable disk/stick. Post back here if you try that and
let us know what happened.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"pedhambe" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have Windows mail on a 64 bit machine with Vista Ultimate. I cannot
> export any of my local folders by way of a backup. Tried exporting
> various individual folders thinking one or more might be corrupted, and
> also all folders. Keep gettint message that message export has failed.
> Restarting the machine didn't help. Please help.

Please give us the exact and complete error message.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

pedhambe

Re: Can't export messages from windows mail

Thanks. I am afraid to do that because once I had done it with my
Outlook Express, but, when I copied it back OE wouldn't recognize my
restored folders!

--
pedhambe
TOMG

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:

> "pedhambe" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I have Windows mail on a 64 bit machine with Vista Ultimate. I cannot
> > export any of my local folders by way of a backup. Tried exporting
> > various individual folders thinking one or more might be corrupted, and
> > also all folders. Keep gettint message that message export has failed.
> > Restarting the machine didn't help. Please help.

> Please give us the exact and complete error message.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> Do not reply with email
>
> I have received the same error message and it goes like this. "Windows mail unable to export all of your messages. Your disk may not have enough space or some messages may be corrupted. Run Disk Cleanup or delete some files, then try again."

I ran disk Cleanup and tried a very small folder and still got the same
error message. Any fix in sight?
Milt

Re: Can't export messages from windows mail
I have the EXACT same problem that TOMG described. I've tried to the Message
Export to a flash drive, DVD and external hard drive. All failed with the
same problem description that TOMG stated. I can create a Windows Mail backup
file on my own hard drive -- but I can't send it anywhere else!

"TOMG" wrote:

> "Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:
>
> > "pedhambe" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > I have Windows mail on a 64 bit machine with Vista Ultimate. I cannot
> > > export any of my local folders by way of a backup. Tried exporting
> > > various individual folders thinking one or more might be corrupted, and
> > > also all folders. Keep gettint message that message export has failed.
> > > Restarting the machine didn't help. Please help.

> > Please give us the exact and complete error message.
> >
> > --
> > Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> > Do not reply with email
> >
> > I have received the same error message and it goes like this. "Windows mail unable to export all of your messages. Your disk may not have enough space or some messages may be corrupted. Run Disk Cleanup or delete some files, then try again."

> I ran disk Cleanup and tried a very small folder and still got the same
> error message. Any fix in sight?

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Can't export messages from windows mail
Windows Mail can't export to external media. Export to your local hard drive,
then copy from there to your external media.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"Milt" <Milt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3FCD181-83D8-48B4-BC67-AC0A90A3AE8C@microsoft.com...
>I have the EXACT same problem that TOMG described. I've tried to the Message
> Export to a flash drive, DVD and external hard drive. All failed with the
> same problem description that TOMG stated. I can create a Windows Mail backup
> file on my own hard drive -- but I can't send it anywhere else!
>
> "TOMG" wrote:
>

>> "Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:
>>
>> > "pedhambe" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

>> > Please give us the exact and complete error message.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
>> > Do not reply with email
>> >
>> > I have received the same error message and it goes like this. "Windows mail unable to export all of your messages. Your disk may not have enough space or some messages may be corrupted. Run Disk Cleanup or delete some files, then try again."

>> I ran disk Cleanup and tried a very small folder and still got the same
>> error message. Any fix in sight?

Milt

Re: Can't export messages from windows mail
Gary --

Thanks so much for a prompt reply. Yes -- I've also tried that approach.
I've created my own Windows Mail backup file on my hard drive using the
File|Export|Message routine. However, when I try to copy that file and paste
it into an external hard drive, the transfer repeatedly fails. The copy time
keeps going UP rather than going DOWN. Do you know of any other software I
could purchase to perform this backup?

Incidentally, I'm a very happy user of Vista and IE-7. Absolutely no
problems except for this one.

Milt.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> Windows Mail can't export to external media. Export to your local hard drive,
> then copy from there to your external media.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "Milt" <Milt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3FCD181-83D8-48B4-BC67-AC0A90A3AE8C@microsoft.com...
> >I have the EXACT same problem that TOMG described. I've tried to the Message
> > Export to a flash drive, DVD and external hard drive. All failed with the
> > same problem description that TOMG stated. I can create a Windows Mail backup
> > file on my own hard drive -- but I can't send it anywhere else!

> >> I ran disk Cleanup and tried a very small folder and still got the same
> >> error message. Any fix in sight?

Milt

Re: Can't export messages from windows mail
Gary -- One other point. I've exported my Contacts list with no difficulty at
all!

Milt.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> Windows Mail can't export to external media. Export to your local hard drive,
> then copy from there to your external media.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)
>

> "Milt" <Milt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3FCD181-83D8-48B4-BC67-AC0A90A3AE8C@microsoft.com...
> >I have the EXACT same problem that TOMG described. I've tried to the Message
> > Export to a flash drive, DVD and external hard drive. All failed with the
> > same problem description that TOMG stated. I can create a Windows Mail backup
> > file on my own hard drive -- but I can't send it anywhere else!

> >> I ran disk Cleanup and tried a very small folder and still got the same
> >> error message. Any fix in sight?

Milt

Re: Can't export messages from windows mail
Gary -- One last point. Should I be using the "Microsoft Exchange" format in
exporting my message file? I've been using the "Windows Mail" format. Could
this be my problem?